1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Request for a suitable SAR watch :)

Discussion in 'Watches' started by mooshi, Jul 9, 2012.

1. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) Hey all.

After much thinking, I've decided that one of the first purchases I'd like to make by the end of this year (other than my graduation/birthday knife) would be a watch suitable for SAR missions.

I quite like my dressy Grenen/Skagen, but it's been through some tough missions and I'd like to keep it in nice condition for the future rather than subject it to the rough and tumble of hiking and rappelling. Not to mention, some watery situations of which it was not designed to endure.

At this time, I'm not sure what my budget would be. I'm guessing anywhere between $50 to $150, though keeping the budget low with a simple, yet durable watch with a couple useful functions would be great. I'll be setting aside some money from my summer job for this.

I'm not sure how well the functions of these outdoorsy watches work. I know that on these missions, I use my compass quite often. I also use the timer a lot (helps keep track of distance traveled versus time). Alarms can be useful, I suppose.

(edited to add) I guess a thermometer (however that works on a watch) will be good too, considering I would use it to reevaluate my water intake. Sometimes I don't realize the humidity and temperature around me that I forget to sip.

I've got no use for time zone features. No need for telephone books or anything of that nature. I'll only be taking this watch out for SAR missions and nothing more. Because of this, size really isn't an issue unless it's so bulky that you'd think it'd get in the way of movement through thick shrubbery...?

I think that about covers my general concerns for a SAR watch. Thank you for your time! I look forward to your replies. :)

(edited to add) Oh and hey! :) If it happens to be a cheapo watch (lower end Casio or such) from Wally World that fits these criteria (and anything else y'all can think of), then so be it! :) I'm not looking for the fanciest schmanciest thing out there. Just something that will do its job... and make my job a little easier. :p

(edited to add) I hope this is my last edit! :p I'm good with men's watches. Again, not picky. :p Besides, I don't think most the features I'm looking for are offered in women's watches anyway.

Last edited by mooshisho, Jul 9, 2012
  2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

To use a watch thermometer you have to take it off your wrist for a few minutes. I'd recommend a mudman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I may be wrong but I think most (if not all) watch thermometers have false readings because of the body temp. I think you have to actually take the watch off to get a more accurate reading.

Casio Pathfinders are nice but they start at just above that $150 mark so you'd need to find a sale or a used one. Same with some of the other multifunction G-Shocks (Mudman, Riseman).

The Casio GDF100-1A, GDF100-1B and the GDF100-4 (same model, just different colors) all have the altimeter, barometer and themometer but no compass. Their retail is $130

4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I figured the thermometer would give body temp readings/inaccurate environment readings. I actually wouldn't mind strapping the watch to my backpack's shoulder straps, though. Unless there's a whole different gadget out there that does that that isn't a watch! :)

Thanks for the suggestions, CatherineM and KeyeEl. :)

The "gimmicky" aspects of the watch would have just been a great bonus, considering I would be able to take quick n dirty readings before having to take out the "real" tools. If anything, I may just pick up a durable G-Shock... I figured I would get some suggestions from some members first. :) There's such an array of watches out there that it's hard to know where to begin!

5. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

In that price range, I'd recommend a nice G-Shock or a Used watch like a Lum-Tec or some such.. I would avoid the watch based altimeters, thermometers, etc.. They are generally not accurate. Keep a compass and thermometer on your backpack (think zipper sized) and you will have what you need. :)

mooshisho likes this.
  6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

What is eveyone else wearing. I'd get one of those...

7. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Yessir! I already do carry a compass on me. I was kinda hoping that a watch one would be halfway decent so that I could get a quick n dirty reading withing having to fiddle around with mine.

@mumbo: I don't know what everyone else is wearing! :p I'm assuming it's a G-Shock of some sort? :)

8. Soup dragon

Soup dragon Loaded Pockets

I love my G Shock - robust, waterproof , solar powered, and radio controlled for accuracy. No compass though but I have a few button compasses on zipper pulls that serve that purpose fine.

Had a cheap and cheerful Casio with thermometer in the past and it worked fine until the battery and strap died after much abuse. Always reads hot on your wrist so not really helpful for a read on ambient.

Mine is a GW-M850, but there are plenty in your price range digital or analogue of both.

[​IMG]

whoozle and mooshisho like this.
  9. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

The new Mudman watches have a compass and as far as I know it reads pretty accurately. I think they start at $150-200ish. They are also larger than the older Mudman watches so it'd depend on if you like larger watches for this to be on your maybe list. I LOVE mine though..

mooshisho likes this.
  10. dmak

dmak Loaded Pockets

I wear a Casio pathfinder paw 1100 and love it. I got it new for $140. It has compass, barometer, altimeter, thermometer, compass, and all the other expected features. It is solar powered and auto updates with the atomic clock in Co. I've had mine for about 2 years now with no problems. Its a great SAR watch. I'm a back country adventure junkie and find myself using all the features regularly

[​IMG]

11. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ That's really neat! I guess I'll have to mosey around FleaBay to get it. Do people fake this model a lot? The prices I'd seen (from a cursory search) yielded prices between $160 an $200. :)

12. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

To satisfy your purple cravings.

[​IMG]

Also goes well with the knife you want with the light blue highlights.

mooshisho likes this.
  13. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Hrm... after some quick calculations and coupon awesomeness (yes... I'm a couponing nerd...) I can get a PAG240T-7 for $141 to $160 shipped after taxes (depends on which coupon I get).

Sounds good. :) Does anybody own that model? It's a Casio Pathfinder of sorts.

14. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had the blue version (PAG240B) and it was great!

mooshisho likes this.
  15. dmak

dmak Loaded Pockets

That's an awesome price. I'd get it in a heartbeat. All Pathfinders are pretty much the same as far durability. The differences are usually cosmetic, solar vs non solar, atomic vs non atomic.

I like the sunrise sunset feature on the watch you are looking at. I may be shopping for a new watch!

16. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

haha You can't beat sales + coupons. :)

Well, the prices I'd thrown up there are for if I purchase two. I'd have to either find a partner that wants that watch or sell the other to get it at that price. Otherwise, buying a single one will cost me $188 shipped, after taxes. :) Not sure if I want to go through the hassle of selling the second one; much rather find a buddy who happens to want that same watch. :p

I was thinking that with all of those functions, it might be a little overkill, but if the modes offered work in SAR situations, I'm down. I kinda wish the 240-1 model was available though. Aesthetically, it was more pleasing. And not to mention, a little cheaper.

17. dmak

dmak Loaded Pockets

When using the altimeter you have to set baseline, which is really easy. All the features work very well on my watch, I wouldn't be caught dead in the back country with out mine. I've come across several occasions where I've used altimeter and compass when reading a Topo map, barometer to track incoming storms. It is worth the money. I would suggest saving a little more and get a watch that is going to last you a long time. My first Casio pathfinder lasted me 13 years before it was crushed by the car

18. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

O_O You mean there's something better than the 240T-7???

19. Ricebrnr

Ricebrnr Loaded Pockets

I love my Pathfinder, but in your specs Timex has several models including analog compass versions.

No experience with them

mooshisho likes this.
  20. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestion, Ricebrnr! I'll look into them. :)