1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reprofiled my Leatherman Squirt Ps4's Blade

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by jon1all, May 11, 2013.

1. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

So I decided I was sick of the chisel grind on my LM Ps4 and put it on the Wicked Edge to reprofile it to a V grind (ie, add an edge to the nail nick side). Gotta say, this is MUCH better... not sure why LM puts that chisel grind on there in the first place I guess. Here's pics (sorry they aren't the best).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took it from the 100 grit stones all the way up thru the 1000 grits (ie, 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000) but didn't put it on the ceramics or strops, no need on a pure utility blade... and it's plenty sharp now... think light saber! :)

lisantica, Take2, SAKplumber and 3 others like this.
  2. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Nice work! I really need to learn proper blade sharpening techniques.

3. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Nice. looks great! ;):cool:

4. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

Get yourself a Spyderco Sharpmaker (about $55). It's pretty much idiot proof once you get a few knives under your belt on it. It wouldn't have been able to re-profile this (well, they do sell the extra course stones for it, so technically I think it could be done... but it would take a long time... this was quick work on the WE!).

I got the WE because I was to the point with the SM that it wasn't giving me the options that I wanted for some higher end knife sharpening. But I still use it for touch ups on lots of knives. It's an excellent system... WELL WORTH THE MONEY. :)

baja820 likes this.
  5. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Sharpmaker. I didn't think I was capable of putting a decent edge on my knives until I got a Sharpmaker. Now I use it on all of my knives. I picked up some coarser ruby triangle rods from Congress Tools to use when I have a damaged blade or if I want to change a profile.

6. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I actually have a sharpmaker, but I find that I get better results in most cases by holding the rods by hand. :eek:

I also find that it's useful to have a few additional accessories. I have a diamond hone to remove metal more aggressively, and a coarse stone for dealing with small nicks in the blade. I also use a steel hone to realign the edge and prolong the time between sharpenings.

And after I good sharpening I strop the blades across the palm of my hand. It's really brings the edge out nicely. It'll have to do until I can get my paws on a quality leather strop.

7. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

You can get an 8" bench strop for $16 from sharpeningsupplies, then $10 for the green honing compound. It not only hones to a stupid sharp edge, but it looks pretty dang good too :D

[​IMG]

8. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Good idea. I did the same with my SOG Crosscut some years ago.