1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Replacing A Lost Light: Help!

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by barlow666, Jan 27, 2016.

1. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

OK, so here's my problem: on a recent trip to someplace far away, I managed to part company with my flashlight, a Four 7's Quark. A fine little light, but with one major shortcoming: the wimpy split ring I had to use to attach it to a lanyard. I had to use that sized ring because the hole at the end of the light was tiny and that was the only size that would fit through it. Somewhere along the way, that ring gave way and the light was lost.

Anyway, I am now in the market for a replacement and while I know there is no guarantee against loosing yet another one, I am looking to find one that has a sufficiently 'beefy' attachment point to accept a solid split ring or mini connector. Only additional requirements:

1. Power by a single AA battery
    2. Hi/Lo Brightness (OK, maybe one other brightness setting, but I really don't need it to strobe, or blink or whatever else)
    3. Twisty ON/Off switch

And that is about all I can think of that I'd need in flashlight.

Suggestions most appreciated!

2. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

3. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Few of my lights are single AA, but I'll take a stab at this.
    • Maratac R-AA: right angle light, TIR, floody, three brightness levels, twisty. I own one and use it a lot considering how many flashlights I've got. If you want floody and like right angle lights, this one is great.
    • Quark Mini-MA: It sounds like you know all about it. I don't own this one but I do like the Mini I do have.
    • Quark Preon 1: Good light. You can have it as a twisty or a clicky. I have the Preon 1 body but I run the Preon 2 body essentially constantly.
    • Nitecore SENS-AA: Might be too gimmicky for you. I don't own this one (I think it's probably too gimmicky for me), I like my Nitecores a lot but I don't own any Nitecore twistys.
    You want to talk 1xCR123A, 1xAAA, or clickys, and I have more opinions :).

4. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Peak El Capitan

This photo is of a much older (and discontinued) titanium version ...

[​IMG]

Very simple and robust.

Originally they had two modes ... "on" and "off" :)

Now they have variable output with QTC ... not super smooth, but the more you twist, the more light you get.

5. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

A lot of the Quark's would fit. I would also check out the L3 Illuminations L08, I loved the AA version of that light. It made me sell a zebralight worth 2x as much.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Eagletac D25A Twisty
    Fenix E series

The number of options considering the limited info you gave us is truly mind boggling really.
    How much
    How small
    How bright
    How much style vs utility

There are just a lot of lights that are multi mode twisty with thick ring slots!

7. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

1. Not to expensive.......OK I realize that is not too helpful, so maybe under $40?
    2. Smaller the better.
    3. How bright? Not sure of the numbers, but a dim light for reading (like on planes or buses at night) and a bright light for finding my way around dark hotel corridors, crossing un-lite streets and so on.
    4. "Style" is not a consideration: no need to impress anybody.

Thanks!

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well like I said,ET D25A twist is great ,L3-L10 or 11 is about the same and each can be had in a few emitter choices too for around your price.

9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

So you liked the Quark? Just get a new quark!

You didn't like the split-ring? Don't use another split ring! Here's a little secret; That elongated hole on the back of a quark is actually large enough for some paracord;

[​IMG]

Now my quarks are all titanium, so the metal is a bit stronger than an aluminium version. On an aluminium one i would take the core out of the paracord to make getting it through a bit easier (heck the force required to get proper paracord full thickness through might even bend the hole out). Paracord is stronger than those small split-rings under simple dumb force however over time and under heavy use it will eventually start to fray.... but that is something you can see coming from miles away and replacing a couple inch of cord costs close to nothing. Learn a decent knot or two (the one in the pic above is NOT a good example, it is just that; an example) and you wont lose another quark! They are great lights!!