1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Replacing 5.11 tactical Rush 12 -- options?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by rodia77, Mar 19, 2019.

1. rodia77

rodia77 Empty Pockets

Hi all,

Long-time member, occasional lurker.
    I checked similar topics but the priorities seemed a bit different so let me lay mine out and perhaps someone will suggest something that fits my bill.
    Long story short: I've used my Rush 12 for 9-10 years, day in, day out, as EDC and carry-on travel, and finally it's given in to the wear. I love all but one thing about it (bottom of the below list).
    I'm looking for something similar in:
    - size (~18Hx11Wx6.5D")
    - looks (don't gimme smart, gimme rugged)
    - capacity (~22-25L)
    - durability (I want it built to last)
    but:
    + dedicated laptop compartment (separate access)
    This one last thing is the only reason why I'm even looking at alternatives instead of buying the very same model right away.
    I haven't followed the backpack 'scene' -- any new players around worth looking at? I'm open to new names / KS projects etc as long as I find credible info about the quality.

Cheers in advance!

zyntherius likes this.
  2. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Not ticking all your boxes but a quirky awesome alternative is a Helikon Tex Bug out bag

Closest may be first tactical 1/2 day pack

Goruck

Dragon egg is another popular choice

Last edited by Jay-uk, Mar 19, 2019
    #2 Jay-uk, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    rodia77 and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

First tactical might be worth a look.

4. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

Check out the new 5.11 AMP series, same 12/24/72 sizes but whole new feature set

I like it for the versatility and multiple gear set options for whatever occasion

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

First Tactical are literally the evolution of the 5.11 designed mostly by the same person!
    I have been thrilled by the 2 that I have and look forward to “needing” another one!
    Look at them for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rm11xx

rm11xx Loaded Pockets

Cannae Legion sounds like it would be perfect. Checks basically all of your boxes and it an amazing pack. Not too big or small, laptop sleeve and separate hydration compartment that could also hold a laptop. Ive had my legion for 4-5 years now and It has been my go to bag all that time.

rodia77 likes this.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

I played the game you’re playing now for a couple of months. Had an Excel Spreadsheet and everything and I settled on the Direct Action Dragon Egg. I’ve been using it for work and travel since September ‘17. Whether it’ll hold up 8-9 years I don’t know. But it’s held up fine so far. I’ve grown pretty attached to it.

Jjb5730, rodia77 and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  8. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the First Tactical.

rodia77 likes this.
  9. rodia77

rodia77 Empty Pockets

Thanks for all the great suggestions, it turns out there are quite a few to choose from.
    In one of the YT reviews CamelBak was mentioned so I'm adding CB Quantico, as it seems to fit the bill also.

10. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

I think you should be aware that the material varies dramatically on the CB Quantico...the grey man colors are only made of polyester and the black camo is cordura...so they're not all equal

rodia77 likes this.
  11. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I'd buy the same again. I have strayed into smart (Vertx Gamut, 5.11 Covrt 18) and do look at Vanquest and First Tactical. But in the end I know: it's been a faithful companion and the cordura is not always greener on the other side.

tbzbbt

Mark Patton and rodia77 like this.
  12. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Same here.
    I've just spent a fraction of the new bag costs modding my R12 R24 ( very amateurish I must add ) figured I just cant find what I want elsewhere in one package
    The flaws in the R12 & R24 are minor compared to the compromise on other packs

rodia77 likes this.
  13. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

If you want to stay with a messenger type bag then take a look at Tenba. They have several sizes and colors. They are made for camera gear but I took those portions out and carry my 13" MacBook Pro as well as my other EDC.

rodia77 likes this.
  14. Sutty33

Sutty33 Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the 5.11 LV18 , New this year , had it for couple of weeks and really like it

rodia77 likes this.
  15. rodia77

rodia77 Empty Pockets

Adding Condor Frontier.
    Still researching options, hoping to order something tonight. In the meantime...

How's the main compartment zipper holding, esp. with the handle placed on the flap? Thx.

16. rodia77

rodia77 Empty Pockets

After spending way too much time browsing through backpacks of sorts, I think I might end up getting two: one smaller for EDC with optimised laptop accomodation and one larger for trips and light travel... :confused: Madness.

Jjb5730 likes this.
  17. Jjb5730

Jjb5730 Loaded Pockets

It's a never ending cycle...I've purchased 2 new bags in the last month in search of the perfect one...still not satisfied.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rodia77 likes this.
  18. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Relatable

rodia77 and Jjb5730 like this.
  19. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

It all most sounds like I work for the company, but First Tactical has met or exceeded all my needs, they seem to be the perfect bag for me. Started with a 0.5 day Tactix, later upgraded to a 1-Day plus. The organization is spot on almost perfect for me, only needed very slight mods, just changed out the zipper pulls. I use the CCW zippered area for my iPad and Fire Tablet. I keep my gun in the rear hang thru pocket attached to a Grayman Tactical RIP-M. I have an OV Innovations Teeter pouch mounted to each side, one carries my Hydroflask 40oz and the other side carries my water bottle. I’ll snap some pics of my 1-Day plus later tonight and post them.

rodia77, EZDog and Jjb5730 like this.
  20. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Since becoming a backpack-aholic I haven’t busted on my girlfriend for collecting pocketbooks or shoes. It’s like “ok ok I get it now.”