1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Replacement SAK scales question

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tusk, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

I've just replaced the scales on my Victorinox Champ and they don't seem to fit very well. I bought them off of EBay from a seller with a 100% rating and they were advertised as being Victorinox factory replacements. They're larger then the knife in most directions. Not much, but enough to both see and feel. It's not horrible but I guess I was expecting perfect. The knife is an older one from the late eighties. To those who've done this, is this normal?

TIA

2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Got any pictures? Just wondering how bad it actually is and whether or not some light sanding for example would help??

3. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

I’m afraid my camera wouldn’t be up to the task. How bad is it? Not horrible but not the perfect melding of plastic and steel I expected. I’ve got another SAK and if you run your finger around the edge you can’t feel any difference between scale and liner. With this one now you can (you couldn’t before). In places the scales extend out past the liner about the thickness of my thumbnail (maybe).

4. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

This doesn't sound normal at all. I've replaced scales on several 91mm Vics. I've bought most of the scales from Swiss Bianco and they fit nicely (although they're ti scales are quite a bit thicker than the OEM cellidor).

5. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

I hope these work. I think the pictures show it a little worse than what I'm seeing n person.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

Do they overhang the liner at all?

7. Gary Gross

Your pictures don't look substantially different than the Huntsman in my pocket with factory (special edition 2017) scales. If the scales hang over the liners only slightly, I don't know that you are experiencing anything out of the ordinary. And it does appear (although hard to say for sure) that you do have factory scales.

8. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

Ok, I guess that’s it then. As I said earlier, on both of my knives the scales fit perfectly with no overhang at all. Both of them are older knives, if that makes a difference. I have to say I’m disappointed. If I had known this was going to be the result I would have just left the old ones on.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.

9. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Looks just like my Compact, Mechanic, and Spartan do....

10. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

I guess I'll find out for sure one way or the other. I contacted Victorinox customer service and explained what I had. They said the scales should be flush with the liner and told me to send it in for service. I then called the service center I'll be sending it to and they also said the scales should be flush with the liner and to send it in. Very curious to see what comes back.

Last edited by Tusk, Aug 22, 2017
    #10 Tusk, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Out of interest, do the Ti scales have slots for the tweezers & tooth pick?

I know that the Alox scales are riveted on etc but I wonder if Swiss Bianco has thought about making a version that does have the slots for these? Yes, I know that they will be slightly thicker but surely that wouldn't put people off? I'm really surprised that Vic themselves haven't done this, I only own far more plastic scale ones due to the T & T,.....if they made an equivalent Alox version I'd never buy a plastic version again I think.

12. Gary Gross

Here is a pic still in the package.
    [​IMG]

earthman likes this.