1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Replacable wire cutter bits or not??

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Scribble, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Scribble

Scribble Loaded Pockets

I am in the market for a new multi tool and am wondering if those that have the replaceable wire cutter inserts actually ever have changed them and if you don't have replaceable have you ever damaged them or dulled them.

2. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I've never changed any of the replaceable cutters, but I've worn out, damaged and dulled several wire cutters on multitools without replaceable cutters. Even so, I think those cutters are more gimmick than anything. Others will disagree.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I think it depends on what you do with your MT. I have both types. But I'm not a heavy user; and rarely need to do wire cutting. Or at least not when the only tool at hand is my MT!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've not replaced wire cutters, but I have resharpened the Leatherman ST300 154CM cutters once or twice. I don't remember what I was doing to dull them, maybe improvising a hanging hook or receiving antenna out of coathanger wire, cutting braided cable, or something of that nature. I've also damaged nonreplaceable cutters. Overall, I'm ambivalent about them. Yes, they're nice if you do a lot of wire cutting with harder wire, but to be frank (and in retrospect) if you do that much wire cutting with hard wire, maybe you ought to carry an actual pair of side snips instead of using the less-effective, less maneuverable, and bulkier multi-tool cutters. If that isn't an option and you still need that cutting capability, I'd say go for it.

5. Blackbeagle
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

If you're worried about dulling the wire cutters, could I suggest a really cheap mini bolt cutter? Some on Amazon are less than $10 so consider them somewhat expendable.

6. Scribble

Scribble Loaded Pockets

I don’t have the ability to carry extra tools when I encounter said problems so I think having the replaceable ones is worth while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

I've never worn out or needed to replace any of my m-t wire cutters, although once I did send in a Super Tool to re-sharpen its non-replaceable set. I'm not a heavy user, at least not any more, and pretty careful about what gauge wire I am willing to cut. But you never know, so I'm glad my present Leathermen have replaceable cutters. After years with some use, they are still undamaged and sharp, so I haven't had an occasion to change them out.

Last edited by znapschatz, Nov 12, 2017
    #7 znapschatz, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  8. Magic8ball

Magic8ball Loaded Pockets

I like the replaceable cutters on my Rebar. I've had other MTs without the replaceable heads. Most did fine, but I had an old PST that I loved. Lent it to a friend for a few minutes once and it came back with deformed cutters. Because of the damage, it was a beast to open and close. Ended up having to reshape the cutters. Never cut as well as it used to.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

For me the replaceable cutters just work better, at least compared to other LM multis I've owned without them. I replaced the head on my current-model Wave with a Rebar head and can really tell the difference. The same is true for the pre-replaceable-cutters Surge and the current Surge.

10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I completely foobarred the cutters on my st300 doing.... things you should really not do with cutters. 10 minutes regrinding and they were good as new. That for me is enough reason to warrant replaceable cutters on a multitool, by design it's a jack of all trades so you are going to use it on something it's not built for sooner rather than later and the ability to recover from misuse is a massive feature.

Moshe ben David and chaosmagnet like this.
  11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Have dinged the cutters on my OG Swisstool. Carrying a beater tool to prevent such missteps is not always practical. Replaceable cutter blades is one of the big reasons, I find myself eyeing the LM Surge from time to time.

ATB,
    Sam

chaosmagnet likes this.
  12. adamargue

adamargue Loaded Pockets

I use my surge a lot at work and cutting flexible duct work tore up the cutters once. Was very nice being able to replace them and not have to buy a new tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. A-MAC

A-MAC Banned

I’d say unless you use it a ton and abuse it that it’d be tough to wear out the 154cm cutters on a Leatherman. I have four Rebars and have never replaced a set.

14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Replaceable cutters are for that one time that you lend it to someone you trust, followed by a quick total destruction of the plier head! Never had a problem with my lm, 2 min in the hands of my friends and the cutter had to be filed down. Lm rebar not only comes with replaceable cutter, its also a fantastic overall tool!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

15. eugenechia1989

eugenechia1989 Loaded Pockets

For the S$200 I paid for my Leatherman Surge, it had better have the 154CM replaceable wire-cutter blades, which it does. Seriously, though, I prefer it as it gives my tool a longer service life, as long as Leatherman continues to make the replaceable blades. I have yet to consider the Wave or Charge as they don't have the replaceable blades, and aren't exactly cheap. I understand and accept that cheaper models like the Sidekick don't have them, but if the Rebar has them, I don't see why the Charge and Wave, both being much more expensive, don't have them. Value-for-money is also a factor for me here.

Rant over. For the original question... I've never had to replace mine, though I've found I've hardly used them as the Surge's scissors have handled pretty much every zip-tie they've come across with ease. But I like to be prepared and having the option of replacing, or even removing for sharpening, is a definite plus for me.

16. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Maybe it's just dumb luck, but in the 2+ decades I have been using Leatherman tools, have yet to deform the wire cutters. Once, however, I did come across for sale an otherwise pristine Super Tool with mushroomed cutters. Total cost to me, $15, including postage to Leatherman Warranty. :dance:
    But over time I have cut all kinds of wire, including clothes hangers in different gauges and some fencing with no damage to any of my Leathermen wire cutters. Part of that is that they hold up well, but also that I can pretty well judge whether or not to attempt a cut on something too thick or hard. That's when the metal saw comes out.

chaosmagnet and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

The specific task that the high carbon replaceable cutters are good at on these MT is cutting common nails, fence wire, and other mild steel galvanized wire.

They will never be the best tool for the job, but i can say when I first upgraded from my original super tool to a ST300 it blew me away how much easier it was to cut off something like a piece of fence wire. These cutters just stay sharp longer.

Also, because they are removable they have the benefit of being field sharpened using the file on the tool... something you can't do with the other ones without an extra file.