1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Removing scratches from knife blades ....... suggestions / procedures / etc ???

Discussion in 'Knives' started by EODtech, Oct 2, 2008.

1. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

Removing light scratches from knife blades:

1. Some sand paper and a few sanding erasers . Start by taking the knife apart and sanding along the length of the knife till you get rid of all of the scratches then progress to ~ 400 grit paper. Reassemble the knife and next time you get more scratches there is no need to disassemble just get the sanding erasers and touch up the satin finish. This method requires a lot of work upfront to get a nice satin finish, but once you are there, touching up the knife is a piece of cake. This is currently my favorite method because the knife looks very nice, and maintenance is very easy.

2. You can use a cotton cloth and some Jewelers rouge to take the scratches out and give the blade a low luster shine. The fine folks of the Dremel tool company even sell a container of buffing compound that you can use with their cloth wheels on almost any blade, or ask a jewelers supply place about obtaining a higher grade of rouge. If its bead blasted or coated be prepared to do the entire blade to get a uniform finish.

3. Use a Dremel buffing wheel with jewelers rouge or a rag with tooth paste on it to remove scratches

4. finer grit stone, such as a 600.
    - add oil to the stone and sharpen using the same techniques you did earlier, but this time applying a much lighter touch (around one pound of pressure).
    - as you work you way across the blade, the finer stone should remove all scratches from your blade.

5. Sears Craftsman 935029 Fine Rust Eraser OR Stanley Sanding Eraser Clam Pack - Fine Grit

What's your recommendation?

TIA

2. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr Loaded Pockets

More or less the same way :D

3. Ghillie

Ghillie Loaded Pockets

The biggest problem that I have seen is when people over work the one spot and can't get the rest of the blade to match. You are curing that problem when you disassemble the knife and do the whole blade. I was never any good using a Dremmel tool. More of that one-spot problem.

I have an extensive collection of EDC knifes and they do occasionally get scratches. But unless I pick one up in a swap that some fool has abused, I like to just smooth them out with polish and enjoy them. the collectable knives don't see much carry and the EDC are there for that purpose.

Anyway, you sound knowledgeable, so I guess this is opinion. I wear my scars and expect my knifes to wear theirs with pride.

4. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr Loaded Pockets

I spoke for the people whose don't support to see a scratch. My knives are totaly scartch and if i want to clean them, i use the backstand, a little regrind and that is as new :D