1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Removing/Moving Press studs

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Highbinder, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

Hey all,

So I recently bought the Opinel leather sheath, shown below.

[​IMG]

I intended it for either my Opinel or sodbuster pocket knives, and I was drawn in by the design which allows vertical or horizontal carry. The thing is, it's too deep, and the knife can work its way out between the gap of the sheath and flap. I'd like to move the press stud on the flap down a ways to 'shrink' the internal length and eliminate the chance of a lost knife.

Whats the best way to remove it? Is it possible to remove it and re-use it? If not, what hardware and/or tools do I need to replace it? Any idea what size stud Opinel are using on this? Would a seamstress/tailors have the capability of doing this adjustment?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

If you are talking about the metallic snap, kits can be bought for $5 to $20 that will replace the snaps.

Snaps are typically one time use.

Search for "snap fastener kit" and you should find lots of information.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

3. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

You will most likely need to drill out the snap posts and discard. A leather worker, cobbler, or possibly a seamstress should be able to put one on easily. If doing it yourself, make sure that the length of the posts are correct, not too long (the snap will be loose and move) and not too short (won't hold).

Have you tried putting something at the bottom of the sheath so that the knife rides higher? I am unfamiliar with this sheath

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Roll up some leather or cloth in the bottom of the sheath for a tighter fit??

5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Space it up, I needed to do that to a PD mag pouch for my super tool.

Tony Sal likes this.