1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Removing 5.11 Rush Moab 10 plastic *thing*

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Evil D, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I'm trying to get this plastic support thing out of the back of my bag and the thing won't come out. What am I missing? It slides up about 3-4 inches and then hangs up so hard I can't budge it. Is the thing sewn in or something? They advertise as being removable but I can't feel down in there to see if it's snagged on anything.

The thing has began to warp inside the bag and is making a buckled out spot and it's annoying the crap out of me.

2. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

i just checked on my r12 and it has the same support brace in the back.

there are no ties or straps holding it in place. you just have to empty the bag and pull on it REALLY HARD to get it out.

mine is flared out at the bottom to match the actual shape of the bag itself, so it makes it a bit more difficult to just pull straight out since the opening is smaller than the bottom part.

but keep working at it. it will come out with enough force.

Evil D likes this.
  3. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Cool thanks..I just don't wanna rip any threads or tear a hole in it or anything.

4. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

yeah, i'd be very careful when trying to get it out.

you may have to wind up just bending it in half almost to get it out. hopefully you won't want to put it back in at any point or if you ever sell the bag maybe whoever buys it won't mind that it's not in there.

5. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I gave up like you did, just felt like i was about to destroy it :/

6. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

I've been having a similar issue with my R12. It's reversed, though - the plastic support pad wouldn't go all the way inside its pocket. Since the pad, while installed, is supposed to be closed inside a velcro-secure pocket, I have to bend the thing a bit just to fit it in - and it stays bent. I tried repeatedly to push the pad all the way down and get it straightened with no luck and just ended up carrying it the way it is. Don't think it's supposed to be like that, though.
    On the other hand, after reading the thread, I've started to wonder just what I would need that panel for anyway and why I didn't remove it earlier...

And yes, it's a pain to get it out, but I did that several times without any damage to the pack itself.

Last edited by USTF, Jan 20, 2016
  7. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

It will come out but as has been said it can take some doing. Had same prob with my r12 and moab 10. There was a post on here about taking out and trimming a bit off the top and bottom of the insert to make it fit. On my moab 10 the bend it caused in the pack was quite pronounced. After trimming its a lot better, same with the r12.

USTF likes this.
  8. Roy Williams

Roy Williams Loaded Pockets

[deleted]

Last edited by Roy Williams IV, Mar 9, 2018
    #8 Roy Williams, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  9. mikshir

mikshir Loaded Pockets

I took mine out of my Moab. It was the flaring that makes it a little tricky but I just forced it out. Luckily it is not sewn in like some other bags, just open the velcro flap and pull (firmly). I felt folding the bag vertically a little helps give the flaring some slack.

10. ngc604

ngc604 Loaded Pockets

I was the guy that posted about cutting it a few months ago. Still happy with it when I carry it. I've recently updated my family outing pack to a covrt 18 and that plastic support is also tight fitting. I noticed it carried easier with a full 3L water bladder without the plastic support. So that one has been trimmed also since i seem to be taking it out a lot as of late.

The plastic support in my moab was just too tight. The upper flap just barely closed with the velcro and it was putting a lot of stress on it. All it happy in my world with it cut. Maybe we should call it The 5.11 Circumcision???

11. MPM

MPM Empty Pockets

Unless my search abilities have drastically fallen off, I was not able to locate any further details of how you trimmed this plastic support piece. Would you mind elaborating how much you trimmed off the top/sides/bottom?

12. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

I used medical shears and then just sanded the edges I had cut ! Job jobbed !

13. ngc604

ngc604 Loaded Pockets

I just took about 1/4" off the rounded top and none off the sides if i remember correctly. I used a set of the fisker ultimate craft snips(love these snips) and also sanded down the cut edge. I took off just enough to slide in and not put stress on the velcro closure. When I set out to cutting I did small cuts and I believe I test fitted 2 or 3 times.

14. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

I did the same with my RUSH 72. That thing was just too tight as it was. Even after removing some material as others have done, there is no play in how it fits, but it doesn't feel like it going to split a seam now...