1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Removal of Molle

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Il Duce, Jul 16, 2015.

1. tlr

tlr Loaded Pockets

Is this good enough?

Also, be aware that it is against the law, even for children, to dress in camouflage clothing or carry items made with camouflage material. - travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/barbados.html

That took about 30 seconds of searching.

jag-engr likes this.
  2. tlr

tlr Loaded Pockets

Here's another - The importation of any camouflage-pattern material without specific approval from the Ministry of National Security is strictly prohibited. It is illegal to wear camouflage clothing in public. However, camouflage uniforms may be worn if you are in Trinidad and Tobago on official military business.
    travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/trinidad-tobago.html

jag-engr likes this.
  3. tlr

tlr Loaded Pockets

Here's another - It is strictly prohibited to wear any military apparel such as camouflage jackets or trousers, or any clothing or items that may appear military in nature.travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/ghana.html

Note this includes anything that might "Appear military in nature"

jag-engr likes this.
  4. tlr

tlr Loaded Pockets

To the OP sorry I participated in a bit of a hijack on your thread. I'm bowing out at this point.

I think the best idea if you want a pack with less MOLLE is to break down and get one without. I can't see the removal ending with a product you'd be happy with.

5. edwinl

edwinl Loaded Pockets

Maybe someone should start making plain panels of cordura to cover up molle.

Tom Tabal likes this.
  6. Quinby

Quinby Loaded Pockets

I've actually been thinking of this. I find the complete molle coverage on the fronts of the 5.11 stuff I have too much.

7. edwinl

edwinl Loaded Pockets

It could actually be functional, where it's actually two layers with a space in the middle and a zip at the edges, like a pocket. So you can keep low profile stuff, yet keep the bag looking less tacticool.

8. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

I was considering doing this as well using something like waxed canvas , I would love to sneak some leather in there too ;)

Edit: just remembered I've been playing around with the idea using a bandanna to occupy some the molle or some such.

9. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but the Kifaru Urban Zippy is a great bag, well made great for EDC and organisation. Couple it with an organiser.

10. Tom Tabal

Tom Tabal Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Tom Tabal, Oct 6, 2016
  11. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Anyway.. to get back on the original post.......

It looks like one of the better options presented was to sell the bag and get one specifically made from TT without PALS or go with the.. Urban Operator? I think it is, which is without PALS stock. There will be a price difference.. but I think taking off the webbing yourself carries too much of a risk since you love the bag. If you're like me and you get attached to bags as well, if I ruined a bag I loved, a new one, even in the configuration I wanted, still wouldn't be a good thing :giggle:

12. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

The Urban Operator does have PALS webbing on it, but it is very minimal... just three rows on one side. Great bag, though.

13. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Reminder.

Thoughtful, spirited discussion is welcome. Keep in mind, extra effort is required to convey the right tone when sitting at the keyboard.

Forum policies clearly specify: "It’s okay to disagree, but don’t be “disagreeable ... don’t antagonize ... avoid terms intended to ridicule, demean, or mock ... we are a global community — our members come from scores of countries, representing diverse cultures, beliefs and backgrounds ... xenophobic behavior has no place on EDCF."

Points can be made without invoking terms like "third world holes" when discussing other countries (where some members reside). Or characterizing other members as "silly" when disagreeing with their views.

Summed up well by (surprisingly) P.T. Barnum: "Politeness and civility are the best capital ever invested ...."

Pepsi Jedi

rr1071, thePlumbah, cowsmilk and 2 others like this.
  14. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Setting aside the "developing countries" and staying within the confines of where the vast majority of us live and work, the USA, the only people that notice molle are people like us! Come on guys...really? I travel around the country and to Europe and have taken Spec Ops bags, M@x bags, and more civilian looking bags and have never, not once had anyone say anything about them or even look my way as a result. Not the TSA, not other countries' security or police...nobody.

The "tactical thing" for the most part is a figment of our imaginations. Who else spends so much time and money buying the kind of stuff we do and then look at each stitch with a magnifying glass? Take a moment and really think about it and then ask yourself if anyone that sees you and your bags on a daily basis gives a rip what you look like.

As for business these days? Okay, a scant minority of very conservative business types might have a problem with a "backpack" but I doubt he or she even knows what those "little straps" are one bag but not another and I am sure they don't care. Add to that the fact that it seems like even in conservative businesses casual dress, tattoos and piercings are becoming common and accepted so you cannot tell me that anyone gives a rat's rear if you have molle on your pack. In my adult life I have worked for banks, construction companies and manufacturers and now hold an upper mgmt. position. No one has ever said anything about my backpacks except for the occasional coworker joking around, "Hey man, going camping...ha, ha, ha...nice bag."

Like others have said, I have never, ever understood the fascination some folks have with being wary of tactical gear. Look in the mirror....do you really look like a "tactical guy" or more like a suburban dad with a "tacticool" diaper bag. Yeah, that's what I thought.

So, stop worrying about the stupid, and largely useless, molle and enjoy the bag for what it is....don't rip it apart because you think people are looking at you.

15. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

That is true... I saw a Nike SB backpack this morning on the bus that was coyote brown with PALS webbing all over it. It also had skateboard straps with coyote brown Jordan style elephant skin ends!

16. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

I avoid Molle/PALS webbing on my EDC bags...

Sold every bag I had with it actually.

There are certain things that I like to EDC that when visiting certain venues, while not illegal, aren't allowed...

I've found from first-hand experience that there is more attention given to bags with Molle/PALS than without...

Not that the bag searches are anywhere NEAR thorough enough to be considered truly inspected; still have had more time/attention paid to bags that I carry that had Molle/PALS than those without.

IMHO, YMMV, IANAL, BR549.

[​IMG]

17. eagle9516

eagle9516 Loaded Pockets

I have several backpacks and brief bags that I have used in the past. Having worked in federal law enforcement and in the intel community I would often times not use any tactical looking bags or packs especially in low key situations. I would only use my tactical packs and bags like the Maxpedition falcon or TAD Gear FastPack EDC in tactical operations/searches. For low key situations I would use backs and packs like TUMI for those situations ( you know because if it's a black bag law enforcement tend to gravitate to it...lol) which of course are pricey but serve for business class scenarios...