1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Removal of Molle

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Il Duce, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Isla TX

Isla TX Loaded Pockets

Mortimer. Ha! Reminds me of Winthorpe! Lol! talking to myself here....

But yeah, some peeps notice molle on bags, between that and the weight I sold my rush 12 to edc a synapse 19. Now I just look like a weirdo with a black backpack. So much better.

2. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I do agree, there is PALS webbing on Nike SB backpacks, and a lot of messengers these days. The webbing itself shouldn't make you stand out unless you are hanging all sorts of pouches, patches, lights, carabiners, and stuff like that off of it.

*Not to get too technical, but PALS is the webbing, and MOLLE is a load carrying system that utilizes PALS webbing.

3. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

people will
    people will attach things anywhere :p

4. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

One albeit very specific scenario would be in places with very strong military presence or very negative attitudes towards said presence, for example that are countries that prohibit the import or even the wear of military apparel other than by the military itself. Carrying a tactical bag in said areas could subject you to extreme profiling or even endanger your livelihood.

Another much more common place scenario is that of the professional business person. My father for example works fairly high up in the largest food distribution company in the world and has for a very long time. The load he needs to carry and his physical health prevents from carrying a briefcase yet when it comes to him choosing a backpack he still has to be extremely considerate on how that bag reflects himself, shallow I know but this is the business world we are talking about. He can't just go for a jansport or a hiking daypack, these convey many things but none of which are typically traits that a client looking to drop a major investment would be interested in. Instead, the bag my father carries is a very sleek black leather backpack that can easily be carried like a brief case via a side handle.

The point is that unfortunately sometimes it does matter what people think of you. Maybe not you specifically, but for many this is the case and to not realize this is rather juvenile and arrogant imho. The second point is that backpacks can be dressed up and sophisticated while still being back packs. For example the alpha class backpacks by tumi, hell I bet I could sneak my black GR1 into a business meeting if I really had too.

Also one last thing, you made this all about backpacks, every other style of bag comes with PALS, even toiletry bags for gods sake haha. In fact several companies try to pass of briefcases with molle on them! Sure they might be great bags but unfortunately I could not recommend meeting big time investors wearing one.

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sorta dorky....molle, ranger hoody at the farmers market. maxped hiking the trail..... even funnier.

6. Tom Tabal

Tom Tabal Loaded Pockets

Post an image i wanna see it

Tom

7. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I think most people want to "look the part"/fit in; if their peer group are carrying pink fluffy handbags then they will too. Turning up with a style of bag that is different to everyone else's might cause some raised eyebrows but is unlikely to cause the sky to fall. MOLLE straps per se aren't an issue but if the colour of the bag is unusual for the context, say a camouflage bag at an business meeting, it might look odd.

Of course, there are some people who want to stand out from the crowd, who will be carrying something unusual.

Mumbojumboo and fourSAK like this.
  8. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

With very few (and very specific) exceptions, I can not think of many times where a backpack covered with PALS would not be acceptable or appropriate but a similar backpack without it would. When it comes to appearance and professionalism/credibility, it is the more the "backpack" part that people notice than the "tactical" part. As long as you're not hauling a camo bag with tons of stuff attached to the webbing in every possible place, I'd wager most people wouldn't even notice. Among those that do, how many would even know that PALS is a tactical/military innovation and not just "a bunch of straps for attaching extra stuff to"?
    I live and work in my company's international HQ (with 1500 other people) in a fairly major midwestern city. For the last 5 years or so, my work bag has been a black Rush Delivery. For about the same time span, my weekend travel bag (and carry-on for flights) has been a black Rush 24. I even used a 5.11 SERE as a diaper bag! All three bags have been all over the United States at various times and in that time I have had exactly one person comment on any of them- a guy in the Orlando airport said that he had a Rush 12 and wanted to know how I liked the 24! No one else has paid the slightest bit of attention.

I firmly believe the whole "taticool gets unwanted attention" idea is a myth or at the very least an exaggeration, simply because most people don't know and DON'T CARE. The vast majority of people out there won't see a "civilian" bag like a Tom Bihn Synapse or a "tactical" bag like a TT Urban Operator- as long as it doesn't look like a weapon case, they'll just see a backpack.
    Camo bags might draw a little more attention simply because they are more unusual on the streets, but seeing as how you can now buy "military inspired" camo bags with PALS webbing off the shelf at any Wal-Mart, even these are starting to have less and less impact. People might fleetingly think "I wonder if that guy is/was in the army or something", and then move on to other things.

Last edited by tweak4, Jul 22, 2015
  9. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Here in Sweden, you'd stand out with whatever color if it has Pals webbing all over it. It's eyebrowing and a say "please come and visitate me and my bag".... it's like having a Think Tank bag, its like having a sign "come steal me".

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  10. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Here in the UK, people would notice camo but not a lot else. Assuming you had a black bag that wasn't adorned with a million and one molle pouches, most folk wouldn't know something was tactical or not.

I work in an office environment, at multiple offices, albeit with a pretty casual and relaxed regime. Most of the staff who have laptops use some typical laptop bag or backpack, I have a black 5.11 Rush 12 with molle (sorry...PALS) all over it and a glow in the dark batman patch. So far only one person has noticed it, and that guy happens to have a Rush 24.

11. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I can't speak for other countries, but even 'cammo' here isn't eye catching any more. Cammo is an 'in' color/style/type now. Cammo pops up on everything from clothing for 4 year old girls (Pink cammo, purple cammo, even normal woodland cammo) all the way down to baby onsies. I know. I've got more than a few for my 9 month old. There's cammo baby bags. (I personally use a tactical sling pack for my baby bag, with her name on CADPAD name tape). Teen girls wear cammo of all sorts now, from belly shirts to short shorts. Boys wear cammo too.

And all of that is before you even touch the 'real tree' stuff. *shudders*.

While cammo might stand out in high business environment, it's not what it once was. Other than that I tend to agree with the posters above. bags and backpacks are so common now, that unless you have tons of gear jingling off them and bouncing around, noone's going to give them a look, molle or no. I get it. I wouldn't carry a multi cam bag to a buisness thing myself, but then I don't carry one on a daily basis either. My Double Tap color would fit in fine.

As addressing countries where your bag might get you singled out by government, mugged and the bag stolen... :confused:.... I'd humbly ask for someone to provide an article or something I could check into that. I've never heard of just normal police in some foreign country pointing and going MILITARY BAG! SICK UM!! and rolling a tourist or something. I've not been to... how to put it... I've only been to other '1st world' countries. So maybe I'm just blissfully ignorant of this happenstance but I've not even -heard- of that sort of thing, out side of violent military oppressive environments. Where is this happening?

rr1071 and tweak4 like this.
  12. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Most Caribbean Islands, including the entire Jamaican government, have banned civilian camo patterns . Much of Mexico has adopted similar policies. Are sure there are more, I know there's one I'm definitely forgetting. The info's pretty hard to find but it's there, took me quite a bit of googling.

13. rr1071

rr1071 Loaded Pockets

Costa Rica is another country where camo-clothing is not permitted. For work I take a double-tap Rush 24 into offices, and R72 on airplanes, i'm still invisible! Recently a few pieces of webbing on the front of the R24 were damaged. I removed those pieces and it looks ok. I then had to clean it because it had a dirt stripe. Some of the rigidity is lost without the webbing in that location. Finally the SERT EDC looks like a good alternative for a nice 1050 denier pack without webbing; http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=sertedcblue ... out of stock, wonder if more are coming.

14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I removed the molle webbing from my maxpedition sitka, its not impossible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. tlr

tlr Loaded Pockets

I'm getting ready to head into a country where anything camo is illegal unless you are military or police. There are a number of Caribbean, south american and central american countries where this is true. Some in Africa as well as I understand. These are not all "third world holes" as someone earlier intimated. In some places it isn't illegal but it will draw unwanted attention. Molle may or may not be perceived that way but why take the risk. It does come into play for me as I make bag and clothing choices.

16. tlr

tlr Loaded Pockets

A simple google search will bring up many hits. Knock yourself out.

17. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

If you go to some sporting arenas or events - there typically signage about the kinds of bags not permitted.
    most of the sporting events at I have been to in the last few years for work
    are enforcing a no bag or clear bag only policy.
    of the signage of bags not permitted - you will find a clearly pic of an ACU backpack with molle.
    as well as pics of bags totes packs etc not allowed.

I am working these events as I work in television - and your bag gets searched and tagged
    every day you enter the area/building/stadium/compound sometimes more then once( as you move around in the compound) depending on the event.

Bags Ive had with molle- Max ped etc got far more attention then plain bags.
    Ive found TSA could give a :censored: what you use vs private security seems to care more.

18. Pepsi Jedi

I'm not the one making the claim. Cite your source.

19. Pepsi Jedi

Just for spits and giggles I googled it. I found some anecdotal stories, largely from cruise lines that warn against wearing camo in the Carribian. Then I found about 50 replies saying "Was there last year/a month ago/ the other day and wore cammo this, cammo that, and saw many people with camo shirts and teeshirts and what not while there, I wore cammo shorts, my husband thought we'd get in trouble and we didn't and there was penty of camo around.

Chalking it up to an urban myth, or a law, like the blue laws in the south. Where it's illegal to have sex in anything but missionary position, or in Michigan where it's 'illegal' for a married woman to get her hair cut with out a husband's note, etc.

Just from 5 minutes of searching I read a dozen or so replies saying that people wear cammo there all the time with out incident.

20. Pepsi Jedi

Does that have anything to do with the bags? Or have to do with bringing in out side concessions? They can't sell $10 beer if you bring in a 12 pack in your bag.
    It's the same thing in movie theathers. Some don't let you bring in bags either. it has absolutely nothing to do with molle or non molle, or danger or anything. They don't want people smuggeling in drinks and food, as they make most of their money on drinks and conessiosn, not the actual movie ticket (And also don't want people bringing in camera's to record.)

I've flown. I've never had the TSA blink at my bags, and I carry ones with molle on them all the time. I can't actually remember flying with out one. And I'm a big dude. I don't exactly cast a small footprint, literal or metaphysical.

Spyke likes this.