1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Remington R-51

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Nags, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Nags

Nags Loaded Pockets

Looks like Remington is getting into the small 9mm game. This looks like it might be a contender to the Shield and XDS. Looks like this site won't let you post a link that I wanted to so just google Remington R-51 and you'll find it as one of the top choices from The FirearmBlog.com

trickcunningham likes this.
  2. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Saw this on several of the gun forums I read. Interesting looking gun. I think I like the way it looks but I'm not sure yet. I absolutely like the fact that there's no plastic, it's all steel and aluminum. 7+1 capabilities, +P rated with a 1911-like trigger. Looks like it should sell in the sub $400 range too. May be an interesting alternative to the Shield / Bersa BP9CC /XDs.

If this is anything like the other blowback guns I own, such as the CZ82, should be nuts-on accurate too.

The big question for me is: Does Remington make good handguns? I've never used one of their 1911's, but they seem to get pretty good reviews.

From The Firearms Blog:

The mechanism of the model 51 is unique and only used in one handgun and that’s the model 51. The layout of the Remington 51 is similar to the Walther PPK pistol in the use of a stationary barrel and recoil spring surrounding the barrel. However, the unique feature is the use of a locking breech block within the slide. When the pistol is in battery, the breech block rests slightly forward of the locking shoulder in the frame. When the cartridge is fired, the bolt and slide move together a short distance rearward powered by the energy of the cartridge as in a standard blowback system. When the breech block contacts the locking shoulder, it stops, locking the breech. The slide continues rearward with the momentum it acquired initially. This allows chamber pressure to drop to safe levels while the breech is locked and the cartridge slightly extracted. Once the bullet leaves the barrel and pressure drops, and the continuing motion of the slide lifts the breech block from its locking recess through a cam arrangement, continuing the operating cycle.

3. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

I find the M-51 aesthetically appealing, but I never buy a gun at first released. Remington can find someone else to beta test this one and I may be a buyer in the future.

TARFU and In_The_Pitt like this.
  4. In_The_Pitt

In_The_Pitt Loaded Pockets

It's interesting, especially an msrp of $389. That's an awesome price.

5. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I would never be a guinea pig tester for a gun like this, unless I'm being paid. I am curious to what the trigger would be like

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Reports are very 1911-like, which is the reason I'm interested in this gun. But, I agree with you. I'm going to stick with my M&P Shield and see how the first production run goes. No reason to run out and buy an untested platform - especially for concealed carry.

In_The_Pitt and Domain like this.
  7. drewkeys

drewkeys Loaded Pockets

looks very intriguing...must...not...buy
    I rotate an lcp and g26 currently, so it would be nice to have something in between...the lc9 and kahr pm9 didn't cut it for me in the single stack 9mm department.

8. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

Just googled it, if they were shooting for ugly, they nailed it.

9. Goju

Goju Loaded Pockets

For the MSRP, I will happily beta test one if I can find one.......

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as the saying goes. I thing the shooting public is used to "no style" = high style.
    Putting a 1/8" radius on a 90 degree corner does not make for inspired design. YMMV

10. Chrisp0410

Chrisp0410 Loaded Pockets

I am very interested in this one, reminds me of another long-forgotten small pistol, the HK4. A relative of mine had an HK4 in .380 and I loved that gun. An R51 in 9mm+P that is roughly the same weight and size as a PPK, hmmmmm.

For me though, I am more interested in the fact that it is a single action pistol with a shrouded hammer. While my Walther PPS is similar in terms of overall dimensions and weight, I prefer a single action to a striker action. The proof will be in the trigger for me. If the R51 has a nice trigger, I'm on board to give it a try. If the trigger feels gritty, creepy, then I will pass.

I'm just happy that a company is coming out with something new!

11. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Looks like a PPK and a Tokarev got drunk one night...

12. Renegador

Renegador Loaded Pockets

Nowhere close to the ugliest gun design out there. Just unique, and in this day and age unique sells. :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

TARFU likes this.
  13. masiaka

masiaka Loaded Pockets

Engineering-wise I'm intrigued by the Model 51 and R51 action. It has the potential to chamber magnum caliber loads with very little stress and a low weight recoil spring.

14. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

It's an updated version of Remington's Model 51 pistol. It was in production from 1918 to 1927. The Model 51 predated them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_51

I like. There's a gun show in two weeks, so I'm hoping they'll be there. Probably won't buy, but will drool

15. Finnsk

Finnsk Empty Pockets

I think it's a terribly ugly piece, but hey it's not all about looks or we'd be carrying only wheel guns and 1911's.

Tekkz and Renegador like this.
  16. badkarma1208

badkarma1208 Empty Pockets

I carry the G26 now and 12+1 rounds in it make it hard to change to anything different. BUT.... This one has me interested since I sold my PM9 a few years ago(due to limited capacity).

17. CowpokeJake

CowpokeJake Loaded Pockets

The 1911 isn't a natural beauty either, though we've all gotten used to it -- and it sure can be dressed up. Anyhow... If looks were that important, the Glock would never have become popular.

I do actually like the style of the R51, though! It doesn't look drastically different from my Sig P232, although the Sig has the advantage of a stainless slide and wood (aftermarket) grips. There's no reason the R51 couldn't be given the same treatment.

I know I'm behind the times since I have stuck with the P232 for so long. By today's fashion, the P232 too underpowered for its size, or too big for its power level, and nobody want's a DA/SA trigger anymore, and what's up with that heel-mounted mag release? Still it works for me, and is easy to shoot well. The R51 is the first possible replacement I've seen in a while that might tempt me.

Renegador likes this.
  18. Tekkz

Tekkz Loaded Pockets

I think it's hideous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Rattlecan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rattlecan Loaded Pockets

space gun:p

Tekkz and Renegador like this.
  20. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Went to the gun show yesterday, no R-51s on hand.

I did see two Sig P6s (aka Sig 225). One was in good enough shape I almost bit.