1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reflective Material in Traffic

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Dan2, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Which reflective products do you recommend in traffic? The aim of these products is obviously to be seen in the dark and in rainy conditions. These products should be fit for pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, horsemen, etc.

TarHeelBrit likes this.
  2. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

I was going to post a similar question, you beat me to it:). Watching with interest.

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I use a vest, it's high-visibility fluorescent yellow and has broad reflective stripes that go all the way around the torso. Visible from all angles even when parts of it are obscured by my arms. Easily fits over all jackets I have.

4. mud390

mud390 Loaded Pockets

I have an Icon MilSpec vest I wear when I ride my motorcycle. Bright orange with reflective everywhere. It is comfortable, has a couple of small pockets, and very easy to see.

5. xtal

xtal Loaded Pockets

If you're looking for something lightweight and very minimalist, I'd go with an Amphipod Xinglet. They have a basic version, one with a small pocket, and a third that has some sort of LED system. Personally, the basic or pocket version look best to me. I've used one for running, and liked it.

6. Yetitrician

Yetitrician Loaded Pockets

All my commuting gear is built in reflective strips. I have to wear a reflective belt on base and in uniform i wear reflective leg bands to keep the uniform pants out of the gears.

7. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have an "ANSI Type 2 Class II" vest in my car for roadside assistance and the like. (Work issue)

Don't skimp on this.

For Riding, there are many products for visibility. If you live near a military base you may be able to find the "Required Equipment" for motorcyclists on post available in the stores near the gates.

My MC helmet is decorated with black reflector tape. (Invisible in the daytime)

kd7dvd likes this.
  8. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

What are the laws in your country? Several countries have strict requirements.

9. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

For motorcycling, especially if you are on a military base, Icon makes several like this one. Like ac7ss sail, ANSI II vests are the industry standard. As someone who wears a vest as part of my PPE everyday, I would caution that the reflective vest is not a magical talisman that will protect you in all conditions. You still must maintain your situational awareness. I can not tell you how many times I've turned around only to find that a car has managed to get behind the jersey barriers or other traffic control devices. Vest or no vest, behave like you are invisible.

Also, go with the lime. If you go with the orange, drivers tend to mistake you for a big traffic cone (no pun intended).

kd7dvd, ac7ss and keith1234 like this.
  10. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

But that is covered if you would wear a backpack.

11. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have seen people put a small vest on the backpack.

12. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Check a pet store or search for "Reflective Vest for Dogs." Amazing what people have beat you to :)

13. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

But not entirely, that's the beauty of reflective vests. You can put a high-visibility rain-cover on your backpack. Or just add reflectors to the pack, it's very easy and probably the simplest solution.

14. ohGr

ohGr Loaded Pockets

I carry reflective slap bands in my waistpack alongside lifegear LED glowsticks. I believe the Slap bands are as minimal as you can go. I use them when I go skateboarding, bicycling and walking at night. Reading the replies to this thread is making realize I need some improvement in the night time visibility department.

15. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Yes, but that is why I use backpacks that have Velcro strips on the back. I attach reflective strips to them, instead of silly morale patches.
    For my packs that lack Velcro strips, I attach reflective trail markers to pertinent areas. I forget what they're called, but they were in a 36-pack for maybe $9. They are the same format as the twist-ties found in grocery store produce aisles, but larger.
    I also keep some NiteIze reflective armbands in my trunk.

16. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Ah, they are supposed to be silly.:p

herosemblem likes this.
  17. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Looks like I completely missed the point! :oops:. Now I know.

18. Joosy

Joosy Loaded Pockets