1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Refinishing metal pocket clips - what have you tried?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Blackbeagle, Jul 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Blackbeagle
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

Have a Spyderco and the pocket clip is going white around the edges as it wears. I want to re-blue or re-black so it is less conspicuous against my trouser pocket. I know I could send it in to Spyderco or try the parts dept, but since we all like to mess around - has anyone tried recoloring and what did you use and how long did it last? This seems almost like some sort of powder paint.

2. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I have one sitting in paint thinner in the garage right now because I haven't taken sand paper to it. I plan like many have to sand the finish off and polish it. Sure I like the black but I am not crazy about refinishing it again and again.

3. Ghostwalker54

Ghostwalker54 Loaded Pockets

You can use automotive spray paint after stripping or buy some Birchwood Casey Super Blue if carbon steel. If stainless you are pretty much limited to painting or some other coating. If Ti you have the same issue as stainless. You could heat Ti with a torch but different heat levels produce different coloration. You can also destroy your clip and you won't get the black you appear to be looking for.

Sent from my government monitored "because they're really bored" iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rkazooti and Ethos like this.
  4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Blow torched a Benchmade clip to get the black paint off and brown it. Be gentle and consistent and it looks great.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

rkazooti likes this.
  5. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Wonder how well header paint would hold up? Maybe better than factory?

6. Ghostwalker54

It should! You should be able to heat the clip in the oven for automotive paint that requires it.

Sent from my government monitored "because they're really bored" iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Blackbeagle
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

8. Ghostwalker54

Check different automotive paints for specs. I can't remember what I have that I've used on light and gun parts (heck, I can't even remember where it is) but I seem to remember that it only took 275 - 350 degrees to bake. But, then again, my memory isn't what it used to be.

9. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you really wanted it black for a while you could have it Cerakoted.

10. rbhale32

rbhale32 Loaded Pockets

I'd say just let in be.. to my eye the more it's "beat up" the less noticeable it becomes. I've taken my new black pocket clip, put it in a bottle with a bunch of fish tank rocks, and tumble it in the dryer with a load of towels, and by the time the towels are dry, it has been good and "worn in."

But Cerakote is a great alternative if you want to keep it black for a while...

11. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

As far as coating it again goes, everything will eventually wear off. Anything that can scratch metal is going to scratch off the paint or whatever else you use, so it will be an ongoing issue. My favorite clip was acid etched in ferric chloride and left to scratch and wear naturally instead of stonewashing. If you're absolutely set on keeping it black you may just try wrapping it with wire shrink tube.

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I wonder if dipping in that epoxy dip marketed for tool handles would work for a clip? Just the clip of course. I'd suspect care would be needed to avoid building up too much thickness, but that material just might be smooth enough so that slipping over the cloth of a pocket might still be OK?

Just a random thought y'all!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. Foster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

If you strip the coating you can tumble it with some rocks and a bit of WD40 to stonewash the metal. Won't be black, but will be nice and subtle against most fabrics, and no pesky shine to call attention to it. It also textures the clip slightly, which I find pleasing.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.