1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Redwing Heritage shoes

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by photoboy2005, Jun 22, 2015.

1. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Doug,
    how much time do you get out o them before you have to resole or they fall apart ?

2. Doug507

Doug507 Loaded Pockets

Well, let's see... 18 years in the field and this is my third pair. Now, I am a construction safety director and I do spend all day in the field, but I am not a carpenter or mason so I get better mileage than working guys. Most of those guys get a couple years or better out of them. I've never had a pair fall apart - I retired my first pair to switch to they 877 style, I still have those. I resoled them once and then recently bought these 1907s. I love love love Red WIng Boots. I'll admit to being a little biased, I live in Minnesota (Duluth Pack fanboy too).

ManVsLawn and malraux72 like this.
  3. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Thnx Duluth Pack Boy ! Friend of mine is a mason and he gets about two years before rehab is really needed.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  4. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

ManVsLawn
    Yeah, you put the hurtin' on your boots... if I had seen a picture of those 3 month old boots and had to guess their age I would have said somewhere around the 18-24 month mark... Impressive.

Methinks the electrician friend I referenced earlier in the thread would sympathize with the abuse those boots have undoubtedly seen. He does the same thing to his boots, except his, having that handy Goodyear welt and thick Vibram logger-type soles, last until the sole starts falling off at the heels, then he screws them together with woodscrews and gets a few more weeks of wear out of them before having our local Redwing dealer order him a new pair... or at least that's what happened last time I remember him getting new boots :)

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

thatotherguy -

I do a lot of walking, some of which is concrete/paving. I'm always up, down, pushing or pulling something. Those boots get a heck of a workout.

I almost always wear out the soles/rubber bottoms before the uppers (leather) crack or break down. I usually rotate between new and old pair, preserving the new ones and lengthening the wear of the old ones.

These have not had that courtesy as often as they should have. They've been pretty much straight-through, every day, unless they are so soaked with sweat I had to switch them. I usually only do that when I'm broke... which.... I am.... currently.:giggle:

thatotherguy likes this.
  6. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Red Wing 9268 engineer boots

Red Wing's are awesome. Sometimes, their sizing is a little quirky, and you may suffer blisters breaking them in -- but they're tough as nails. I just picked up a pair of RW Iron Ranger "amber harness" boots. They're beauts!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ANJARI likes this.
  7. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

They are very comfortable after they are broke in and last. Great value, I pick up a pair almost new for 50% of the original cost off of EBay and love them. This is my third pair. [​IMG]

ANJARI likes this.
  8. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Man, you are not kidding on the quirky sizing. I get into debates every single time I go into a Redwing store. They always wanna measure my foot, and I always tell them not to bother because I know what size I WANT and what size FITS. Because the size of my foot does not equal the size of boot they want to sell me. I wear a 12 in almost everything, but I wear an 11 in Redwings and Doc Martens. No idea why, but if you put me in a size 12 Redwing, there is an ocean of empty space in front of my toes and I feel like I'm wearing clown shoes. I do end up having to buy different insoles, because the arch support doesn't line up with my arch, but once I get that sorted out, and once they get broke in, they fit like a glove.

As for breaking in, I'm a believer of the water method. I know it may not be the best way to do it since it can cause mold and dry out your leather etc etc, but I always oil the inside afterwards and I haven't had a problem yet. Just soak the whole boot (minus insoles) in a sink full of super hot water for about 10 minutes, then put them on with some thick socks and lace them up as tight as you can get them. Wear them all day long, change your socks out to dry ones as needed, and by the end of the day they will be molded to your feet.

Sheepdog149 likes this.
  9. sap

sap Loaded Pockets

These are the RedWing 4183 sold by JCrew years ago. I haven't been able to wear these out after 4 years of use.
    [​IMG]

ANJARI and malraux72 like this.
  10. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Red Wing 2991's -- I love my RW boots!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ANJARI likes this.