1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Redwing Heritage shoes

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by photoboy2005, Jun 22, 2015.

1. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

DEERLORD
    Just out of curiosity, do you use the liquid Redwing boot oil for your boots? That's the stuff my local shoe shop owner (who happens to be a Redwing dealer) recommended (and sold) to me back when an old pair of Bates needed to be rehydrated after a week of constant soaking. It works very well but I don't find it to smell particularly pleasant (not particularly unpleasant either, just not something I would want to smell all the time). It does work a charm though, and it's easy to apply, which will probably keep me coming back when I need more boot oil.

To the O.P.
    As far as oiling, you can generally tell when the leather needs some love pretty easily. Don't let it get as far as abrasion or cracking due to dryness. I find that I can usually sense a difference in how the leather around my toe area where the boot bends to walk. If you'd prefer, just feel the leather every three or four weeks and when it starts feeling stiff and dry give it a little bit of conditioner. According to the aforementioned boot oil bottle, Redwing recommends reconditioning "at least once a month". I find my boots don't need it that frequently. YMMV. Hope this helps! :)

2. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Why should it bother anyone if someone is wearing Redwing shoes for fashion or not? You have to earn the right to wear these? What's with the working class hero stuff? That's just like saying people who haven't had military and/or law enforcement experience shouldn't carry a gun, or even buy tactical pants or any other type of tactical gear. I'd just be happy that other people were supporting my favorite brand of shoes. It's those other customers that help keep that company in business.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S using Tapatalk

3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Who said they were "bothered?" I just find it humorous and interesting that someone with a privileged, upper middle class life wants to dress like a blue collar worker. It doesn't bother me but the emotional and psychological ramifications are certainly intriguing.

Now, what does bother me is someone pretending to be something they're not, e.g. stolen valor.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. Mr.Fox

Mr.Fox Loaded Pockets

I just picked up some summer shoes, Im pretty satisfied with these vans I got, hemp/leather.
    Pretttty sweet.

5. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

I use the mink oil, its more of gel or salve kind of like wax, and you apply it with a cloth. I think it smells lovely haha definitley sounds different than what you're talking about.

thatotherguy likes this.
  6. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Yeah I agree I was mostly phasing things with a bit of humour, people should wear whatever they like but I also agree with the stolen valor concept. That downright disgust me.

7. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Stolen valor, with regards to military and/or law enforcement is one thing, because that's truly disgusting. And I can certainly say that there it is very difficult to tell, based on a brief visual inspection of a person, if he or she was ever in the military and/or LE. But applying the concept of stolen valor when it comes to boots? Seriously?

rongallant and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

In the generic sense of people pretending to be something they aren't ... yes, but not to the same degree. Perhaps you need to re-read my post(s).

9. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

You mean posers.

Work boots = hard labor. I get it.

10. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I guess so. More specifically - hipster millenials who live off of their parents or society at large yet dress as if they work like a lumberjack.

11. comeonbabylightmyfire

comeonbabylightmyfire Loaded Pockets

I accept that plinking away on a keyboard all day doesn't add much wear to my boot collection but my manicurist assures me that it plays havoc with my fingernails.

rongallant, kd7dvd and Mudinyeri like this.
  12. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I've had a pair of Redwing insulated boots that I wear in the most wonderful Midwestern winters. I've had them about seven years and they are still doing great. Every 2-3 years a reseal then with "Sno-Seal". It's worth noting these are not my work boots as they don't offer a black uniform boot that suits my needs. So these boots don't get an absurd amount of abuse.

As for their "Heritage" line of footwear. When they are offering a pair of Oxfords for $330 (US) I don't think they are marketing these shoes to the average Redwing customer. They are great looking shoes, but I'm not a buyer anywhere near that price.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. Doug507

Doug507 Loaded Pockets

I finally got around to cleaning and oiling my 2-month-old 1907s last night. These are my everyday boots (I work in construction) and, after the break-in period, are the most comfortable footwear I own. FYI, due to harsh working environment, I usually oil them monthly (this is my third pair of Red Wings).
    [​IMG]

ANJARI, malraux72 and ManVsLawn like this.
  14. Jwindh1

Jwindh1 Loaded Pockets

+4 on red wing heritage
    [​IMG]

ANJARI, ManVsLawn and Doug507 like this.
  15. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

Red Wing is a great shoe company. I Have 2 pairs of RW Iron Rangers, and a pair of 9268 engineer boots -- love them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  16. Jonas414

Jonas414 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Love Redwings...and yes I'm a city lumberjack! :D

17. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

3month old Red Wings and a brand new pair.... Mine are all "used and abused", unfortunately...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looking for this thread the other day.....

ANJARI, thatotherguy and Sheepdog149 like this.
  18. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Congrats ! After 36 years you are finally hip !

photoboy2005 and Mudinyeri like this.
  19. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I switched to Chippewas last year. Am I still hip? :cool:

photoboy2005 and malraux72 like this.
  20. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

LOL!

Mudinyeri likes this.