1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy in EDC, can it be managed?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by JonSidneyB, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Fighthard

Fighthard Empty Pockets

Thanks for this topic.

I am not sure if everyone has the same definition of management. My wife and I certainly do not. I believe in redundancy, but am struggling with the minimalist within me.

Functional + Versatile + Quality construction + CDI factor = means I probably already have one or two somewhere, yet I long to be the modern caveman with a pouch, a weapon, a knife, the ability to make fire and basic clothing.

Wow, that's just rambling...maybe I do need a 12 Step Program for EDCing.

2. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

"Redundancy in EDC, can it be managed?" YES

I like to carry a back-up to my back-up; and I have needed 2 lights at once in the past.
    I have had to pass out knives to people cause we had alot of cutting to do.
    Like someone else said the back-up's can be smaller, or if you carry small lights(NovaTac, Surefire L1, Inova T1) that use the same battery, then you have extra batteries also.
    I like having back-up's. I like being prepared. I don't carry a back-up for everything, but knives, flashlights, pens, multi-tool-- I have more then one.
    I could probably get buy with a Photon Light and a Spyderco Ladybug, but where is the fun in that. :D

Jason

3. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I was just thinking the same thing recently. Why do I need to carry a pocket knife if
    I have my Leatherman Micra and I don't encounter any really demanding tasks
    for the pocket knife in the course of my day?

Just my luck, the day I leave the larger pocket knife home will be the day I
    find I need it for some odd task!

For years I carried a SAK and I found the most useful tool on it was the
    Phillips screwdriver, which for some reason I needed to use more than
    anything else. The scissors was also great until it became so loose that
    it wasn't functional (haven't tried Loctite yet, though...but the Micra
    scissors is a much better design, IMHO). The next most useful
    gadget is the LED keychain light on my car keys.

The gadgets and gizmos I've been buying over the past few years always
    seem to have almost-microscopic Phillips screws to hold everything together--
    including battery packs, etc. To change the battery, you must loosen
    the infuriatingly small *!!)(** Phillips screws! :rant:

Now, I know intellectually that I probably won't need that larger
    pocket knife...but I feel better prepared for Who-Knows-What
    EDCing it.

Then again, I probably won't need the tire iron and jack in the
    trunk of my car, but even if I use them once (and I have done
    so on occasion) it's worth carrying them around!

I think pocket tools are like software: those that perform
    many different functions don't do all functions equally well.

So I don't think we're going to eliminate what seems like
    duplication.

-Mister Scribble

4. turbo chicken

turbo chicken Empty Pockets

My budget manages my redundancy and requires me to be a minimalst... :yoga:

Example: i recently lost my Gerber Magnum LST ... i went and purchased 2 knifes... realized oh er... i can't afford this and a decent multitool... so i took it back and ordered a Zilla Jr. to use as my EDC knife/tool orderd it for under 30.oo shipped.

but i agree that redundancy is a good thing... i find that my redundancy (cheap throw away stuff) gets loaned out and the good stuff stays with me.

5. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

Managing redundancy in EDC is a balance between:
    1. funds
    2. needs
    3. peace of mind
    4. bulk

The problem is, if (1) is unlimited, (3) and (4) become the problems. I'm dealing with an issue in (3): lighting right now.
    As I was reading this thread (catching up on the recent posts), I managed to loan out my backup Surefire E1* franken light (e1e HA body, black kl1 head, mcgizmo tailstand clicky tail) to a friend heading to Yosemite for a week. I did it without thinking and without remorse. She only had a largish light at her disposal and no intent on grabbing a second.

Then the feeling sets in... "I'm naked! NOOOO." I don't think my backup light was out the door for all of five minutes before I began wondering whether any of the local shops carry smallish carry lights. To make this even more pronounced and show the level of my desire for redundancy; I've not used this light a single time since I've had it in my bag. I've a converted mag in the truck, a streamlight 4aa just inside the front door of the house, an L2 on the nightstand and a newish L1 in my pocket. Yet the overwelming feeling that I need to do something about my missing light is profound.

At least I'm currently okay with my knife situation:

Knives:
    Person - Spyderco Delica 4
    Bag - Byrd Cara, LM wave, LM blast, LM micra
    Truck - Cold steel machete (hand made by a friend, poorly, but it works) compact sawing options, hatchet.
    House - S&W 2000 FMR folder. Leatherman 302.
    Loaned - CRKT M16-12z

I find this manageable. No one piece costs more than $50 to replace. All work well and are easy to maintain. This level of redundancy is manageable, and I'm not constantly looking for new knives.

I guess I could pickup a nitrilon surefire to make this feeling go away. ;) It's about the only good light in town that I know of. I'm not sure how, but this particular store seems to be able to mark up everything over retail. (It's 5% more than on surefire's website.)

6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Just built a redundancy keyfob set - knife, fire, and light - for under $10 total. Sure the kinife is not Spyderco, the light not Photon, though lighter is the real MacCricket ;) but I'll gladly loan it, take on a boating trip or anywhere where losing the good stuff is more likely than on the daily commute.
    It is simpler to un-hitch and leave at home your primary one knowing the secondary rides in the belt pocket of the backpack, than fumble for replacements.

Great motto!

7. Minotaur

Minotaur Loaded Pockets

Money is an issue for me too!

Having to think really hard about purchases can be a big advantage.

I am slowly building a layered (Due to the law) six part system.

It goes like this: -

EDC

EDC - Legal - This adds a SAK

EDC - Excuse - This adds my Leatherman

Day Carry - 8 hours plus away from BOB

Bug Out Bag - 72 hours

Bug Out Bag - Plus - Over 72 Hours

The big thing for me is to try and build a set up that is the same, only bigger. What I mean is that due to using the kit, I learn what works, what I need, and what needs re-thinking.

The point of carrying the stuff is give me the ability to do my MacGyver impression. It always amazes me, when people ask for headacre tablets and then question why you carry them. I once supplied the tools to set up the new racking in our office, got a lot of funny comments. Why did I had the tools because I cycled to work. These people drove to work, and did not have tools.

The car point raises the true redundancy point for me.

It is not about carrying three knives but having a sharp edge when I need one.

I want to get down to two torches, my constant carry solitare, and my maglite, but until I led them, and get the headband, a led headtorch is needed.

Why Maglites because I can get stuff for them, refit them, and most importantly for the money they do the job now, and I can have a few of them.

My car has a kit, but it is not full of expensive items. It is a do not care if my car is stolen kit, because my expensive socket set is staying in the garage.

8. Darkling

Darkling BST/Marketplace ban

It's something that I should consider because at the moment I just carry a lot of knives and torches ;D

I never use the knife on my Leatherman because I will have a Strider or an Emerson in my pocket, in fact I don't think i ever use my Leatherman but I probably won't do away with it :brickwall:

9. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I vary the amount of redundancy in the gear I carry depending on circumstances. I carry more flashlights at night than in the day, for example.

Tonight, the battery in my Surefire E1L flashlight croaked about 3 minutes into my walk in the dark. No streetlights in my area. I switched over to an Inova T1 I was carrying for backup, but it grew dim in a hurry because its batteries were exhausted, too.

Fortunately, I was carrying a spare CR123A battery, a 1AAA Peak Matterhorn and a keychain light, too. I replaced the dead battery in the E1L and was able to complete the walk.

10. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

We went out and decided to stop by a local haunted house with the kids last night, there was 5 of us, and I seemed to be the only one with flashlights, and happened to have 6 flashlights on me.

Good thing to be redundant.

11. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I only practice redundancy some of the time.
    If I'm on camp, I carry both my leatherman core, and a magnum linerlock, simply because the core's blade is such a pain to open. when it's night I carry a second torch (which becomes my primary) and also sometimes a headtorch as well.
    knives are never backed up when I'm not on camp, as it's leagaly dodgy me carrying one, let alone 2 or more.
    I don't bother backing up my torch normaly as when I use it is usualy for short periods on my way to and from home (usualy to help out at my local scout group) and so a backup just isn't worth it for the 2mins total I would be without it.
    I do carry several pens when I'm at collage, as when one starts to run out, you can't do without annother.