1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Reduce ink consumption by 20% with free ECOFONT

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by EODtech, Oct 21, 2009.

1. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

The Ecofont is based on the Vera Sans, an Open Source letter, and is available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

The prints we make for our 'daily use' not only use paper, but also ink. But your ink cartridges (or toner) could last longer.

We have therefore developed a new font: the Ecofont.

"After Dutch holey cheese, there now is a Dutch font with holes as well."

Appealing ideas are often simple: how much of a letter can be removed while maintaining readability?
    After extensive testing with all kinds of shapes, the best results were achieved using small circles.
    After lots of late hours (and coffee) this resulted in a font that uses up to 20% less ink.

Free to download, free to use.

DOWNLOAD LINK FOR ECOFONT

[img width=640 height=155]http://www.ecofont.eu/assets/files/ecofont_tekstvoorbeeld.jpg[/img]

2. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks for the link, eodtech! :)

I wonder if I can convince my ship's chain of command to make this font mandatory. We print a TON of stuff all the time, so we could save some real money with this.

3. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

Put it on a suggestion form so if they do adopt it a percent of their saving can be given to you. In the federal government you would get 10% of the savings over one year.

I got $25,000.00 as an award for an adopted suggestion relating to the upkeep of a computer system - I saved the government $250,000.00 with one suggestion!

I retired in 1995 and now work for a group out of DC and they were the first group I contacted when I found this font - they too print stacks of paper a day from desktop computers

It also works wwith laser printers.

4. Tripp Hazzard

Tripp Hazzard Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the link.

O0

5. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

A stupidly simple idea! but up til now no-one has thought of it. Downloaded and running. Ta!

6. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

You could just print in draft mode, which uses less toner/ink. Or duplex if that's an option on your printer.

Draft works on things like PDFs and web pages that you don't necessarily type out yourself.

7. xthereal

xthereal Loaded Pockets

Great idea in theory and seems to print okay, but just looks like a low-res nasty mess on screen to actually work with, so I could not use this for that reason. But I admire the ingenuity

8. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I just printed out a coversheet for a postlab using the EcoFont, and I find it's legibility fine, even when the printer is also set to Fast Draft. Just the post of a "T" and an "R" are kinda faded, but still quite fine.

I do think a couple additional dots in the "o" can be removed, though, personally. Still, with that said, I'll definitely start using it. :)

9. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Looks good, I'll see if we can add claim credit for myself and get mega big reward...Or maybe I'll just use it for my personal printing needs as I get no support around work and no ink...

10. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd just be happy to know there's less ink being used. Fat chance of me saving any paper in the "paperless, electronic Navy" (I think we use more paper now than ever before, actually). :-X