1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Iron Ranger

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by YankeeHotelFoxtrot, Dec 6, 2018.

1. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

Hi Everyone,

I was browsing RedWing.com and the Iron Ranger boots (style 8085) caught my eye. At a cost of $320, my eyes began to water. So, before I visit a nearby RW store and begin to look at them closely, does anyone out there have any opinions about these boots? I've owned only one pair of RW's in the past, a pair of anti-stat soled boots worn some 35 years ago. I'm looking to wear the Iron Rangers as everyday boots to work (office env); I like the Vibram soles and the boots are obviously well-made. I'm just wondering about comfort and if there are equivalents out there either at the same price or perhaps cheaper. The Iron Rangers aren't waterproof. The reviews vary regarding comfort after prolonged wear, break-in time, etc.

thanks in advance

YHF

Last edited by YankeeHotelFoxtrot, Dec 6, 2018
    #1 YankeeHotelFoxtrot, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

Everything I've heard about the IR has been positive. Check YouTube. I found some at the Nordstrom Rack significantly cheaper but the size seemed to run large (perhaps the reason they were there?). Also, other online retailers like Sierra Trading Post occasionally carries RWs.

sent from your mamma's house

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  3. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

They are the ugliest Redwing if you ask me.
    People online love them, but you will be sure to get " nice clown shoes " remarks from close friends and family (Unless you're a woods ranger or doing construction, then nobody cares about what you wear)
    That front double-leather overlay is just pure clown. It's cool to look at in terms of craftsmanship don't get me wrong, but their Blacksmith shoes are far cooler. Check out the Blacksmith.

4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I get nothing but nice compliments, and they're all pretty random. Some are from people I know. Some aren't.

I really like mine. I got them in my standard size. They are a bit loose. I only wear them with fluffy, wool socks so that mitigates the excess area.

They are not nearly the most comfortable footwear I have, and I've bought supplemental insoles for them. They do require some break in -quite a bit actually- so don't let that discourage you.

I don't think anything about them mimics a clown shoes and appreciate the timeless, classic look and feel.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot and edcMe like this.
  5. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

all,

thanks for the responses so far; I'll visit the RW store after Christmas and check out both the Iron Ranger and the Blacksmith.

I am a bit concerned about the break-in period and the fact that I'll probably need to add a comfort insole of some sort. These boots aren't waterproof, although they can be treated (I'm guessing with saddle soap or something similar) and in the beginning at least I most likely won't be able to wear them through an entire workday (??). Sounds like a lot of trouble for boots that cost $300. But they sure do look nice.

6. ArkansasFan30

I wouldn't advise someone to use them for work or outdoors pursuit, lol. They're more of a casual or dressed up casual footwear that has the potential for rugged application.

edcMe and YankeeHotelFoxtrot like this.
  7. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

I hope that office work is ok....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. ArkansasFan30

The office and around town! That's where I where mine.

9. kakinuma-kun

kakinuma-kun Loaded Pockets

Don't be surprised if the store doesn't stick much beyond the most popular work boots. Much of the Heritage styles are only available online, so I'd call first.

The good thing about the stores is that they perform lifetime maintenance on the leather (cleaning and moisturizing) and give you new laces for life.

Personally, I'm a longtime lover of the Roughneck and have it in 6" for every day and 8" for hunting. The 6" is newer, to replace my my 1980s pair lost by my brother, and the 8" I bought back in 1997.

10. CJinPa
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CJinPa Loaded Pockets

I have a pair of the Red Wing Beckman boots. They are well constructed but the leather is very stiff. I have had them for over a year but rarely wear them because they are not very comfortable. I also have two pair of Thorogood Dodgeville boots. The Thorogoods are comfortable right out of the box. I like my Red Wing work boots but I would give the Thorogood Dodgeville boots a look if your in the market for a well built casual boot.

11. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

@CJinPa While I don't have any personal experience with the Beckmans, I say stick with them. Everything I've heard about about RW heritage leather is that they are stiff and actually painful to break in but once they are, they conform to the feet and are very comfortable. Try a little conditioner (test in an inconspicuous spot as it may darken the leather) to help with the break in. Good luck.

12. Thehunt

Thehunt Empty Pockets

If they fit your food, go for it! I seriously love mine, but you have to get them broken in. Those are no synthetic sneakers, this is old school leather foodwear...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

Thanks Everyone! I'm going to check them out right after Christmas.

14. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

Again, check out places such as Sierra Trading Post, Nordstrom Rack, 6pm or other places that may carry them as seconds. I've seen the IR for as little as $179 and once worn, you would probably never notice the "defect".

sent from your mamma's house

15. Boarhunterward

Boarhunterward Empty Pockets

Also, check Sierra Trading Post once you get sized for them. They often have factory seconds for half price. I couldn’t find anything wrong with mine.