1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recycled Firefighter versus GoRuck

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by brokenpaganangel, Apr 5, 2019.

1. brokenpaganangel

brokenpaganangel Loaded Pockets

Hello.
    I hope, you apologize, that I start a new thread. But I heard some good things about RF and also read - in this forum - a thread with some very bad things about RF.
    When I look at the feedbacks on their website, I also see feedbacks, which are very very impressive and positive. It makes me a little bit suspiciously - also because I got only very unpolite answers on my questions from their support.

Are here some of you, who have RF backpacks for years and use them really hard and could say something "from the real world" about them? My goruck echo has to stand a lot of abuse and still ist great - but because I need a bigger one, I am between RF and waiting for a deal for the gr (21 or 26l).

It's really only between those two both - RF chief / battaillon 24 or goruck gr1 21 / 26.

Thanks very much - also for your patience!

Greetings from germany
    Frank

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. Ixoye

Ixoye Empty Pockets

I EDC a RFs 24 hr pack for about a year and had another the newer version with the water bladder port set up for just rucking this last summer. The pack set up for rucking I added a Kifaru frame sheet in the laptop compartment made a world of a difference. Over all I really like them
    Good quality and the one used for rucking on average had 35-40lbs in it showed very little signs of ware even after a lots of miles and was pretty dang comfy, BUT I really wanted the molle on the out side and about 4 months ago bought a GR1 26L on sale and the GR1 quality is WAY better. Its built like a tank while the RF is more of a light armoured hummer and if rucking carries the weight much better.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  3. brokenpaganangel

Thank you. Thats very helpful!

4. bigshowrenfro

bigshowrenfro Loaded Pockets

Wow had to see what a GR1 was and couldn't believe the price. It better be well made with that price tag. I've had maxpedition, 5.11, Hazard 4.... And all have been great bags. Almost pulled the trigger on a Kifaru. Don't think I'd spend that kind of money on this but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

I have a few of their 12/24 Battalion Packs - I can't fault the workmanship on them, they feel as solid as a GR Bullet that I used to own but it needs to be said that they haven’t had hard/long-term use. The recent upgrade to incorporate an admin sleeve in the front vertical pocket was a welcome addition as, without them, everything tends to gather at the bottom of the pocket.

If you like the minimalist aesthetic of Goruck, then RF is a good (and cheaper) alternative.

If you’re talking about the (negative) thread on here that I think you are, then I’m not necessarily convinced that it was a flaw on the part of RF but I could be wrong..

I agree with the fact that the comments on the RF website are ULTRA-positive, to the point that it looks a little suspicious….

6. brokenpaganangel

Thank you.
    My problem is, that I'm in germany and in the case of a warranty problem, it is very difficult for me to get a service for the product or a repair or so.
    That's, why I'm so undecided. The RF chief - from the optical view and the price and the look - is great for me. But when I compare the support (and answers to my questions) between rf and goruck, rf would be no go - they're unpolite, ignorant and arrogant. The goruck support takes all questions serious and gives me good and patient answers.

7. Roguetrooper

I'm in a similar situation, I'm from the UK and so international purchases always have the underlying anxiety of what to do in the event of a warranty purchase.

I agree with you fully about RF's Customer Service, they were....abrupt....in all of my communications with them - Not overtly rude but, by the same token, I didn't feel particularly valued by them as a customer. That being said, I've got 2 x 12hr and 1x24hr from them and am happy with the quality of workmanship on all of them.

I can't comment on GR's other offerings other than the Bullet 10&15 but, as I said, I feel the quality of construction was on a par with RF. That's not to say that the capabilities of both packs are the same, they're probably not. The Bullets are intended to be used in a rucking context, whereas RF's Battalions aren't really marketed as anything other than an EDC pack. So, it's likely that the Bullet is designed in such a way as to be able to carry a greater weight than the RF, but in terms of the general.....fit and finish?......Quality of materials, straight stitching etc I feel they are broadly comparable.

8. brokenpaganangel

Thank you.
    How long did you wait for your backpack(s), when you ordered at rf? They offer only usps...

9. Roguetrooper

I think it was around 2 weeks, maybe slightly longer.

brokenpaganangel likes this.
  10. brokenpaganangel

11. Charlie

Charlie Empty Pockets

I just ordered and received a 12 hr pack from recycled firefighter. It took 6 days to receive my order and I am very happy with the pack. I certainly reccomend it. Great edc pack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

12. brokenpaganangel

Hi. Where are you from? Delivery within the usa is a bit faster than to europe.

13. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I have had a RF Chief for a few years and love it for carrying stuff to work and whatnot. The look of it has a lot more character than most GoRucks (with the used bunker gear front with reflective stripe). It has a little more give than my GoRucks, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will not hold up as well (the reflective stripe is flaking off everywhere, but it does not effect durability). I have a couple Ruckers and Bullets I carry weight in, and those just keep getting better the more I wear them.

14. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Feels like stripped down Goruck bags, I'd like to have one but doesn't make a big difference so I'd probably throw my money on another bag with a different feature.

15. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

I have 2 GR1s, 2 bullets and a GR2. 2 years ago I found I was using my newer bullet for running, sports and going to work but wanted something similar for just work. So I bought 12L RF Battalion. It worked well, liked the side front pocket and orange linning inside. It wasn't as robust as my gorucks, nothing is but it was still robustly made. As for the reviews on the site I would believe them after owning one. I lost the pack on the underground with wallet on it, my wallet was handed in but not the pack if that is a validation in its quality.

If you want a goruck but can't afford one you can't go wrong with RF as an alternative. Currently trialing a MR Urban assault for work however I found myself missing the simplistly of the Goruck or RF clam shell opening over MR tri zip.

16. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Goruck is a very good quality bag. They're fairly basic compared to tactile bags, but the simplicity and quality is beyond most bags I've encountered.

My marine buddy was heavy into maxpedition bags until I showed him my work bags, and he fell in love with gorucks and bought me a gr1.

Yeah the price is high, but you get what you pay for in this case.

17. Jwigzz

Jwigzz Empty Pockets

I like the simplicity of both bags. They don't limit the storage to specific items (pen slots, notepad, etc). Customization at its finest. I can't speak on quality since I am considering both brands.
    What goes in the front pocket (slanted zipper). I can't seem to rationalize what could be placed in there.
    I am thinking of getting the Bullet 15L in steel with the rigid molle insert.

18. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

I use the front zipper pocket for all kinds of stuff. Up to and including a TSA pocket dump or an Ipad mini in an otterbox.

19. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

Front pocket on my bullet used for wallet, keys, and phone when running. I also have my gym fob always left there for gym workouts. Also usefull for engergy gells or simple choclate bar.

20. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

The steel colour is a good choice! I just need to find a reason to get another bag!