1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recs for a backpack to use for a trip to Europe? ...

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by speedmaster, Jan 9, 2019.

1. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Heading to Oslo and Amsterdam later this year for a week. I'm going to pack a traditional suitcase, but I'd like to find a backpack for a carry-on and daily walking around the city.

I'd like it to be small enough to be a carry-on on airlines, comfortable to wear several hours per day.

What do you guys recommend? I've read good thing about Tom Bihn? And my daughter has a smaller Osprey bag she likes?

And what's the size range in liters I should be considering?

Thanks very much in advance!

2. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

I’d consider 25-30L range so you can fit a jacket, bottles, souvenirs, snacks, maybe some tech and chargers. I’d recommend the Mystery Ranch Daily, Alpha One Niner evade or a few others....depends if you need a laptop compartment or not as well. Also consider expandability of the pack and lashing options.

speedmaster likes this.
  3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Pacsafe, decent organisation and some really nice anti theft stuff built in.

They need to paying me!

speedmaster likes this.
  4. gaap master

gaap master Loaded Pockets

I used a Pacsafe Metrosafe LS450 as a daypack for shore excursions while on a cruise, and it worked well. Also have used a North Face Surge (old model, not the current one) for the same purpose.

Tom Bihn Synapse comes to mind as well, but I don’t have one and can’t offer feedback. Last year on a trip to Paris and London I used a Tom Bihn CoPilot shoulder bag instead of a backpack. That bag was great. Smaller than a backpack...but a comfortable carry and great organization.

speedmaster and Tallboyjim like this.
  5. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Size depends on what you want to carry both on-plane as well as using it as a daypack. While others recommended a 25-30 liter backpack, I'm doing fine with my Osprey Axis 18 (Liters) most of the time.

Be sure to check the airlines carry-on limits for both size and weight, as European airlines (if you fly with them) have lower limits on those parameters then do US airlines. BTW: economy tickets include only 1 carry-on item, some airlines allow an additional (small) laptop bag or coat.

If you want to blend in stay away from multicam and outside MOLLE/PALS webbing, also those bags can be seen sometimes even in urban environments / city centers. Also anything tacticool from manufacturers like 5.11, GoRuck, etc. can catch interest - of course they are sold & used here in Europe too ...

Best option IMHO would be to use something neutral (like Osprey) or outdoorsy (Deuter, REI, etc.) - and of course the Alpha19 Evade 1.0 or 2.0 (if not multicam).

As the weather forecast says winter with rain, snow, ice - be sure your backpack has a rain-cover, or at least is rain repellent. An insulation for your softdrinks/coffee may be a good idea ... not everybody likes ice-tea or iced coffee in freezing temperatures :cold:

Final note: as we had have some attacks here in Europe during the last few years expect a "no bag allowed"-policy or at least a bag search when entering some public buildings or tourist attractions. So think twice what you carry in your dayback and on-person.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Jan 10, 2019
    #5 FiaOlleDog, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    speedmaster likes this.
  6. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

You can get in on the next run of Alpha One Niner Evade 2. I picked mine up for a duel purpose EDC bag and trip pack much like you're describing. Awesome bag, comfortable, feature packed, tons of organization. There is also the option for an internal PALS panel if you're somehow finding yourself wanting more storage options. The manufacturers corner has the details and it looks like they are going to ship by early February. They are also working on a Urban Pathfinder bag which is still in development but Helm is seeking input from the group as he works through prototypes and overall design.

The EV2 is a great pack. I enjoy mine more and more over the 3 weeks I've been using it.

Osprey makes a great bag too just stay away from the ones with the thin wire perimeter frame (eg tropos) unless you can try it out first. I have broader shoulders and the frame was very uncomfortable. My Daylite Plus is great for minimal-to-light needs carry, can't recommend it enough either.

Pacsafe is a solid bag with good travel features. I haven't used one but looked long and hard at them before opting for the EV2 + Daylite Plus.

If you want a basic larger pocket bag that can add fully modular customization to the interior, have a look at the battalion bags from recycled firefighter. They are like a properly priced GoRuck with the option to add a PALS panel with kits.

#6 swedishelite22, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Bimmer4me, speedmaster and twin63 like this.
  7. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

In the last year we toured Italy andIsreal. Lots of walking. My day bag was a lightweight Pacsafe 350 LS Metro, to which I had my shoe repair sew to its bottom, two kydex lash tabs. I waterproofed the stitching with Seam Seal. I improvised jacket / fleece holders, ( to be slipped thru lash patches), from 2, 24” Hank’s of paracord, with spring sliders and knotted ends. It is light weight,, good looking enough for day-night use, has 2 great side bottle/ umbellla pockets, inside RFID pocket. It was sufficient for everyday supplies, and compact binoculars, compact camera, sill tarp poncho, good sized FAK, sandwhich,/ snacks, guide book, 2 water bottles. Slash resistant SS wire woven into in bag bottom, sides and shoulder straps. I jury rigged a small binder key holder with a rubber circle to hold a 16 oz. water bottle to the one shoulder strap. This bag was carried, empty, in my checked luggage. Even with my 70 year old, SS filled back , this proved to be a comfortable set-up for everyday use.

For carry-on, I used new model North face Recon bag, about 1900 cu. in.s. I used a black ink permanent marker to blackout / dull, white lettering and reflective surfaces.

steeps and speedmaster like this.
  8. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Great thread, guys, thanks!!

9. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I don't travel much, normally. But I used a 5.11 Covrt 18 as carryon to travel to China 3 times last year. I also used it for travel within China. Then again to travel to Washington for a week with no checked baggage. Carried everything I needed on the plane, then cleared it out for travel around town.

speedmaster likes this.
  10. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

As always when backpacks come up my recommendation is Millican.
    Goes in the plane, is most comfortable and eats lots of stuff

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

speedmaster likes this.