1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommended on-line merchants for G-Shock?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Moshe ben David, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Its an interesting thing.

For much of the gear we're all interested in, finding several good on line sites is not much of an issue.

Amazon obviously. Quite a few really good ones for knives, packs, boots, clothing, even pens and notebooks.

But sites that feature an extensive selection of G-shock watches I don't know too many other than Amazon.

Given how popular this line is with so many of us, I'm a bit surprised.

Anyone have some other sites they would recommend for this versatile line and collectible line?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

jcombs and MCPOWoller like this.
  2. tirod

tirod Loaded Pockets

Good point. I've been looking for a particular model and its not that easy to find in stock, much less at competitive price. You can bounce it off ebay yet the prices are about the same except for the odd "local delivery only."

As far as finding any in the local watch cases - say, at department stores - you'll find more Armitron if you can believe it. And even Walmart only recently added G Shocks about two years ago with it's own small case sitting on top of the counter.

G Shocks are truly a niche product that has a highly devoted fan base but few retailers and even fewer full line dealers.

3. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Jet.com, owned by Walmart, usually has good sales and selection. In the US, TJMaxx will normally have a few versions at very reduced prices but that is brick and mortar and you have to shop them hard but it's worth it if you get lucky, I picked up a Gulfmaster for $139 there a month or so ago. Depending on the model, Target and Kohl's will have good online prices for lower and mid priced versions, especially if you can find the stackable coupons from Kohl's.

eBay is still hard to beat for higher end stuff, particularly the Master series, and hard to find or discontinued models. Amazon is hit or miss for me except for Black Friday, then their deals get crazy. It's easy for me to get lost in the weeds when shopping for G's, I try to pick one model and shop it hard, I get lucky every now and then.

Almost forgot, check the Amazon Warehouse deals section. They are described as used/very good condition but everything I've bought has been brand new with some damaged packaging and at good discounts.

4. Moshe ben David

@jcombs: Good info. I would not even have thought of the retailers you mention!

I am very familiar with Amazon Warehouse deals. Bought quite a few knives and other things via that option.

Be aware of Amazon's watch warranty policies, which overall are I would say unusual.

Seems that when buying watches from Amazon via the 'regular' departments, most all manufacturer warranties DO NOT apply; Amazon have an arrangement with a third party to provide warranty services. This appears to be true regardless of manufacturer. This seems to be true even when you buy from a 3rd party retailer but with Amazon handling fulfillment. Which makes me suspect Amazon as well as many of their third party retailers are really playing in the 'grey market' -- meaning they are not truly authorized sellers/distributors from the manufacturers.

When it comes to Amazon Warehouse sales of watches, Amazon explicitly states virtually 100% of the time that there is NO warranty.

Most of the watches I'd be buying simply don't have a deep enough discount on the Amazon Warehouse for me to select a zero warranty...

Thought you might be interested.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

True enough on the warranty issues and Amazon Warehouse deals. As you stated, most gray market dealers operate in a similar fashion. I've purchased all but 2 of my watches through gray market sites some with warranty and some without.

Depending on the price, I haven't worried too much about it. Amazon Prime offers some protection with products right out of the box, purchased through their Warehouse section or not, and many problems show up in the first 30 days and returns are easy with Amazon. I consider most G's and entry level Seikos to be disposable anyway, it would cost more to ship and service than to replace a movement or the entire watch. The exceptions are the Master series of G's and mid tier Seikos like the Sumo, Tuna, etc.

I've been fortunate, I guess, in that I've never had a problem with any of the 20+ watches I've bought over the last few years. I've heard as many horror stories dealing with an AD and factory warranties as I have with gray market purchases, YMMV.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

@jcombs: I remember a time in my life when I could afford and hence purchased items as you describe... them were the good ole days! All my Seiko now are Seiko 5 Sports. No Sumo or Tuna for me... I will live vicariously through your pics on here!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I have had good luck with Skywatches out of Singapore

8. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I may have misrepresented, I'm a bargain shopper at heart and shop hard for the very best deals available. I have bought 20+ watches over the last few years but I've sold 8-10 of those and I'm still consolidating. It's taken me a while to figure out what I like and I hadn't spent over $200 for any watch until the last year or so.

Admittedly, I'm moving up slightly to what I think are entry level Swiss or German brands, Squale and Sinn are two examples, but I've sold a bunch of $100 watches to get there. The only Seiko I have is a 007 and it's a mod and I will probably keep it but may mod it again.

I will eventually end up with 4-5 mechanicals and 4-5 G's, but nothing crazy and they would be considered affordable by most. There is nothing wrong with the Seiko 5 series they have been the best bang-for-buck watch value for a long time. One could have a very versatile collection of nothing but 5's and be completely happy.

9. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

To get back on topic, Amazon Prime Day is coming up in July. The final date hasn't been released but it was July 12 last year and the deals were fairly significant, as much as 30% off. G-Shock prices and models were extra good last year during this sale and hopefully will be good again. If your are not a Prime member, the $100 membership is worth it just for Prime Day. I'm saving my pennies now in order to be ready. If you're not in a hurry it might pay to wait for this sale.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Jomashop.Com has a good selection and always have had some of the beta pricing.

11. Moshe ben David

Didn't realize it was getting that time of year! Yeah, I've done well on Prime Day in the past also!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. Moshe ben David

Thanks. Took a quick look. Not a bad selection. Bookmarked the website.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. BONSANCA

BONSANCA Empty Pockets

#13 BONSANCA, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  14. BONSANCA

BONSANCA Empty Pockets

buying through an intermediary https://zenmarket.jp to register on the Japanese site, and auctions are not needed. the best realtor for me. very satisfied.