1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommended a tablet? (preferred specs noted)

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by RogerStenning, Sep 10, 2017.

1. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's either a Chinese band, or a new one on me, a British one, Wileyfox, I think they're called. However, their latest large screen offering, has a non-removable battery. This is getting really old, really fast :(

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Even if it is British, you have a MUCH better than even chance it is manufactured in China. But you probably already realize that...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

RogerStenning likes this.
  3. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

True enough. Interestingly, the Wileyfox brand over here are a LOT cheaper than similar from the likes of, say, Samsung. Not at all sure how that's happening, but not about to argue, if I go down that route :)

4. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

It's good you've asked this question because I've been doing some investigating as to using tablet as a "substitute" for a desktop/laptop for an Android user, understanding that it will never fully replace a computer. So we're talking about more casual use like email, social media, general web surfing, forum participation, watching videos, but not recreating a doctoral thesis or working with 100k row Excel files. First off, one has to realize that Android was never designed for a tablet and as a result a lot of apps don't "scale" well. The other simple and unequivocal fact is that the iPad is the best tablet on the planet. Great build quality, great screen, fantastic O/S, huge app library, great support, etc. But you/we want an Android tablet...

In my case, my laptop had to go back for repairs and I didn't want to spend a week or more trying to function on a phone. Frankly I'm not a tablet user in the traditional sense. I want to sit at a desk and type on a keyboard for anything more than casual surfing, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a tablet. At least to my way to thinking, after a few hundred dollars I might as well have bought a cheap laptop. Lets review some of the options. BTW, nobody makes an Android tablet in the 12-14" range, these are all ~10" tablets. I wasn't interested in anything smaller.
    • Samsung Tab S3. $499. Latest, greatest from Samsung.
    • Samsung Tab S2. $249. Last generation of Samsung's flagship tablet.
    • Asus Zenpad 3S 10. $299 Year old tablet, decent specs for the price
    • Google Pixel C $599. Nice but expensive.
    • Kindle Fire HD 10. $149. Middling specs, mediocre build, runs a modified version of Android, heavily vested in Amazon.
    Being the cheap guy that I am and not really needing a tablet I went with the Kindle ($100 on sale). I've paired it with a Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard ($30) and bought an inexpensive cover that allows it to stand in landscape mode ($15). So for an investment of $150 what do I think?

To be continued...

RogerStenning likes this.
  5. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I like my Note 8 for quick notes and when I got my Note 8 it came with a free Samsung Tab E 8 inch tablet that I pay $10 a month for data. But since I opted for auto pay I save that $10 So in short my Note 8 (which was my first Note device) is wonderful for quick note taking and my Samsung Tab E handles my more seriously note taking projects. For the Tab E I got a case from an online retailer that begins with A that covers the whole tablet, came with a screen protector, has a kickstand and hand strap, plus comes with a removable shoulder strap. I use the tablet for work so that is why I chose that case.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

@mike3145: should be interesting to see what your experience with the Fire is. I'd been considering getting one for very casual web surfing. Decided not to because I saw way too many user complaints about them. Problems with charging coming up after a few months; overall too high a level of what I call 'background' noise deriving from the build issues, etc etc. Saw this not only on the Amazon reviews but on some other tech review sites as well. (Not having a clear memory of which ones but may have included CNET). Just seemed it would be more frustration than I was willing to bear.

Hope your experience does not reflect this...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

For casual use as a "tablet" it seems to work just fine. I'm not too impressed with Amazon's Silk browser but it's not very difficult to install Google Play and have access to a larger library of apps including Chrome. The only drawback to the mobile version of Chrome is that there isn't a way to install any extensions like AdBlock Plus so I installed Adblock's browser which seems to do a pretty good job on those sites that want to throw up a gazillion ads. It is slower than Chrome but I suspect that's a function of the ad blocking going on in the background. Chrome is pretty zippy given what it's running on.

Only having had it for 3 weeks, I can't comment on durability but I haven't had any issues. For USD150 one can't expect that much and build quality is certainly nowhere near an iPad. At the moment, my biggest quibble is that the screen isn't very bright. I can't comment on battery life either, it spends 99% of it's time sitting on a desk plugged in. Audio seems loud enough but the quality is mediocre.

If you understand what you're buying, it's pretty hard to go wrong for the price. I suspect Amazon will put it on sale again before Christmas or shortly thereafter.

8. Moshe ben David

@mike3145: in fact Amazon have had some discounting as part of their run up to xmas.

A lot of the negativity I was reflecting on was only partly on battery life itself. Moreso was outright lack of ability to charge, as well as some freezing up whilst cruising the net.

I don't really need one; I have an iPad Mini 2 as well as a current generation iPod Touch so I can be mobile. I was just playing with the idea of something that I'd be less uptight about when out and about. Think I'll wait a bit and revisit in a couple of months to see if matters have improved.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David