1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommended a tablet? (preferred specs noted)

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by RogerStenning, Sep 10, 2017.

1. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Afternoon, all :)

OK, my current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It's reasonably effective, but beginning to shows it's age compared to more recent devices (newer applications not running, existing ones slow or crashing a lot, already gone through two batteries, etc.), so, I'm looking at options.

Firat option is to replace with a similar palette, such as a Note 4, or an LG v30. (see desired specs below).

However, I do a fair bit of typing on the move, and the small screen of even a phablet eats into available real estate on the screen. So, I'm thinking an actual tablet. Since I get unlimited bandwidth on my phone, and a limit on tethered data, getting a purely WiFi tablet device is a non-starter.

So, desired specs of a wireless tablet...

• 4G,min 3G, compatible with both UK as well as US/Canadian networks when roaming.
    • WiFi to current compatibility standards at the time of purchase
    • Android OS
    • High resolution screen
    • At least 10mp camera at rear, not bothered about selfie camera.
    • 4Gb RAM
    • At least 32Gb storage
    • Accepts SD memory expansion cards
    • MUST have a removable battery (user replaceable without tools)
    • Has full size USB expansion/charging, ideally USB3.
    • Reasonably fast processor
    • Size-wise, I guess something like 12-14 inch screen should do the trick, with svga-like (or better) resolution.
    And that's about all I can think of. Ideas, anyone?

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure about the battery removal thing but given the size you're looking at, and 4G requirement it's a shootout between a Microsoft surface and an iPad Pro.

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

I don't think there's anything which hits all of your specs.

Writing this out on a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 which meets or exceeds all of your specs (save for removable battery --- I don't think anything allows that these days and runs Windows and uses USB-C) and adds a fabulous S-pen (though I use the Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus) --- it is available as an LTE device.

The Samsung Tab S3 is the Android equivalent --- again misses on the battery, USB-C, and the screen is 9.7" --- but AMOLED and fabulous --- no LTE version that I'm aware of.

4. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I don't think there's any tablet with removable battery.

5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I was half suspecting a singular lack of removable batteries. OK, thanks, folks.

6. drunkengarbagecan

drunkengarbagecan Loaded Pockets

Older Surface 3 (4GB non Pro) unlocked with LTE. You will get pretty good battery life and you might be able to run an external battery pack to charge or extend battery life through its micro usb charging port.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

While I appreciate the suggestion, I'm not looking to get back into Windows in any shape or form; likewise, I have problems with Apple (don't ask, it's long, and I seriously don't want to get into it), which leaves either Linux or Android. I'd prefer Android, but as you've noticed, there's a lack of devices meeting even the most basic deal breaker: They all have non-removable batteries.

• Why do I want a user-replaceable battery?
    • In case of battery fault issues - easy to swap out without having to wait for a technician's expensive time on the repair line
    • Extends the life of the device by allowing expired batteries to be easily replaced
    • Allows me to confirm that the device is completely powered down when I'm not going to be using it for some time, by removing the battery.
    You see the problem!

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

9. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Hmm. I'll have a look, hadn't heard of that site before, thanks :)

10. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I believe you will not find a tablet with a removable battery.....
    The Note 4 from Samsung and the V20 from LG are the last phablets to have that.
    I have owned a few tablets and I have never seen or read of replaceable batteries in one.
    Now as tablets go the Samsung Tab S3 is one of the best currently available although hard to find in LTE.

Lateck,

WillAdams likes this.
  11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Yeah. That was my take on it too, thanks for the confirmation.

...wanders off muttering about idiot bean counters instead of engineers being in charge of the design process...

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Actually, the most likely reason is the need for extremely compact and user-reliable assembly. Replaceable battery would entail more bulk as battery compartment would need an access door as well as contacts the battery could 'pop' into. I've spent enough time in electronics manufacturing as well as messing around with my own laptops to know that if field access/repairs are eliminated reliability goes up. Most likely in this scenario batteries just like all other components are mounted to the board using surface mount assembly methods. These are NOT conducive to either field nor DIY repairs.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I sometimes wonder what the gadget-buying public have for grey matter.Seriously. I mean, how :censored: difficult IS IT to change a bleeping battery?! Oh, that and "disposable society" being a curse word right about now...!

14. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

Samsung Galaxy Tab S, No removable battery though.

15. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

If you go to ifixit, you'll see teardowns for various devices. The battery is still pretty much a separate/separable device. The issue is more that the drive for ever thinner construction and dust/water resistance are easier with the sealed unrepairable devices. And they get a new sale when you break one.

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

That makes sense. Yeah, I like to look at reviews from ifixit whenever either a new device/upgrade is announced or when I'm buying something.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

FWIW, I'm a qualified Radio Amateur; however, these things are like, put together by people that can only be 2-3mm tall or something, it's that miniaturised inside the darn things :frantic: Hence why I want user-replaceable batteries (that, and if they trust me to replace a battery, they tend to be companies that have adults in charge, not idiots!) ;)

18. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

One thing which I've been meaning to look into for a while is the idea of building a tablet using a Raspberry Pi or similar single-board computer. If someone did a nice screen w/ active digitizer I'd probably start buying parts.

19. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

Saddly Note 4 is pretty much the last of the user replaceable battery phablets. Which is why I still have mine, and it is on its second battery. I will comfortably STATE that if you want your phone to last 3+ years and you use it heavily and you want the same run time, you NEED to either have a user replaceable battery (and replace it) OR send it in and get the battery swapped.

Sadly, most consumers swap out their phones more frequently and never see the dreaded rolloff in battery capacity. Unless that changes, and I seriously doubt it will, we are stuck with disposable electronics. I, personally, think that is insane with high end phones crossing over the $1000 mark. If the purchase model changed from massive subsidies and multiyear contracts to upfront purchasing, perhaps this would change.

RogerStenning likes this.
  20. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Samsung just announced an 8" tablet w/ LTE and removable battery --- unfortunately, it's intended for industrial usage, so no pricing information, just ask for a quote.

RogerStenning likes this.