1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations wanted for a rather simple thrower.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by el_murdoque, Sep 16, 2020 at 7:59 AM.

1. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Hi,
    I must admit that I am as happy as can be with my three lights (Copper Tool AAA / Olight S1R2 Ti / Zebralight 600 mk IV).
    However, the need has risen for yet another light. A new puppy was introduced into the family and winter is coming, so walks in the dark are going to be a daily thing soon.

The profile is somewhat special, so I'll post what I need:

- enough throw for spotting deer at at least 200 yards.
    - small enough to fit into the pocket of a winter coat.
    - Easy UI. Needs to be easy enough for my wife, who is the polar opposite of a tech enthusiast.
    Something like Moonlight, Lo - Mid - Hi is more than enough.
    - Robust enough so it can get dropped in the mud a couple of times
    - Charge status of the battery readable in some way (please not by blinking like the Zebralights do)
    - Easy and convenient charging.

My wife needs to be able to tell whether or not the light will make it through the next walk and also be able to charge it.

So any ideas?
    I think the Olight Seeker Pro ticks all the boxes, but is rather on the pricey side when you include the L charger.

Could this finally be the reason for me to acquire the Thrunite Catapult v6 ?

Has something recent happened on the market?

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Do you have a specific budget?

3. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

These might fit your needs and the UI is very simple.

PowerTac E5R-G4 - 349 Yards of Throw - up to 1800 Lumen - Submersible to 2 yards - Magnetic USB Charge Cable or micro USB cable compatible
    PowerTac E9R-G4 - 215 Yards of Throw - up to 2550 Lumen - Submersible to 2 yards - Magnetic USB Charge Cable or micro USB cable compatible

I have the E9R-G4 and like it a lot and it is very pocket-able. The UI remember the last used setting, with the mode button one can activate the strobe directly after pressing it for a few seconds.

4. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I'd say around a hundred bucks would be fine.

Also: The warmer the tint, the better.

5. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

I as well just got a new puppy, congrats to you too! I use an obligation r50 seeker pro LE. Enough throw and flood to be useful, rechargeable and fits in my pants pocket. Gets warm but not burning hot, especially in the cold.

echo victor likes this.
  6. Aruetii

Aruetii Empty Pockets

Depends on how much throw is enough throw really. If it's around 200 yards, most 1'' diameter 18650 and 21700 lights should have sufficient output at those ranges.

Though high outputs (relative to maximum of said light) do usually result in elevated temperatures so you might need to get something more specialized for long-range if the intent is to continuously scan the distance. If so,the most compact,pocketable ones would probably be white lasers, like the Acebeam WA30, Nextorch TA7L/TA10L, Fenix TK30 et cetera. Don't have much experience with the lasers specifically, but their quality seem decent.

If just for quick checks for animals, a few seconds of high light on most 1" flashlights will probably suffice without heating up to uncomfortable levels.

For UIs, most companies seem rather straight forward,though I am immensely irritated by the tail-switch on/off, side-switch mode-switch affair. So look for lights which have side switches that can do everything it needs to do:eek:n/off/mode change. Less fumbling around tring to not get blinded. I had a Nitecore MH10 and the single side-switch is easy enough to access moonlight(press and hold for 0.5s) and strobe(double tap).

For robustness,just about any "tactical" flashlight company has that covered. Drops and water are practically a non-issue(unless you go rock climbing or diving). Beware floppy rubber USB port covers though. Some are stiff but some are not and can be easily dislodged.

For charge checkups, things vary from model to model. Some can let you check battery status while not charging, but if it's for nightly dog walks,I don't think that will be necessary (?), so I'm guessing it's just needed when charging. Most models seem to have some kind of indication(LEDs behind the switch,blinky or red while charging,solid or green when fully charged, or something along those lines)

For ease of charging though,just find an olight. Their magnetic charger is about as easy-to-use as they get. Also reduces the chance of ramming dirt and debris into USB ports.

So, something like an olight m2r should probably suffice for all-round use up to 200-300m,if just for a short period. Long-range throwers are less than ideal for close-range illumination tasks, but you have other lights that fulfill that role,so I do suppose they can complement their uses. Though I will admit that the Thrunite v6 Catapult seems a bit too bulky for pocket-carry, while the Seeker Pro should
    be just around the upper echelons of that. Could check out the Nitecore E4K too, seems rather close in spec to the olight seeker, but with more emphasis on floodlighting.