1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations, please

Discussion in 'Knives' started by echo victor, Jul 4, 2020.

1. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

Hi Everyone,

Happy 4th!

I own an oil stone, the bakelite 3-sided type, which I use to sharpen our kitchen knives. Do you guys think this is sufficient to sharpen my EDC knives? I've been reading and watching and watching and reading, thoroughly confusing myself. I also own the Spyderco Sharpening System. Should I invest in a diamond stone? The Lansky system? Is what I already own sufficient? I've never been impressed with the edge from the Spyderco system. Is this just a matter of improving technique? I've tried to be careful with my approach, but I don't seem to be able to consistently slice clean through a sheet of printer paper which seems to the unofficial standard for a truly sharp knife.

Sorry to ramble on, but I'm looking for recommendations and advice.

thanks!

That Movie Guy likes this.
  2. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco sharpmaker is capable of producing incredibly sharp edges. However, I've found that most knives from the factory are not profiled properly for the sharpmaker to work effectively. Try putting a sharpie mark all along the "sharpened" part of the blade on both side and then make a few strokes on the sharpmaker. You can then look and see where the stones are actually contacting the blade (they will have worn through the sharpie where they were touching). If they are not contacting all the way to the very edge, then you will not get a sharp edge. I have found the diamond stones for the sharpmaker to be very helpful in correcting edges that are not quite the right angle.

Your other stones will probably work fine too, as long as you're decent at freehand sharpening and you're not trying to sharpen really high carbide super steels

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I freehand on diamond stones and waterstones. Works for me.
    Cheers from Holland

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

echo victor and nicknapp like this.
  4. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

thanks guys! I appreciate the comments!

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm with you 100%. You saved me the trouble of writing a detailed response! :)

Regarding Spyderco sharpening systems/gear. They recently came out with something they call the 'Gauntlet' system, I think because the way of holding it in place looks like a gauntlet worn by the old knights of the round table.... I've seen mixed reviews on that; with the consequence that the Sharpmaker still seems a better choice.

Spyderco also have some more portable items. One is a ceramic 'stone' called the Golden Stone; reviews seem good; but it is a bit large if you're thinking of pocket carry. Really more of a edc bag carry but seems to get good results from the reviews I've seen. I do not have one.

The other is something Spyderco call the 'doublestuf' stone. Think of the trade name for a thick Nabisco cookie...;). At any rate, it has two different grit stones glued back to back; about 6 inches long. Very portable and useful for touchups on the go. A recent newer version has one edge that is 'raised' (you have to see it or a pic to understand) which is apparently intended to make it easier to touch up SE knives... which given my love of such makes it interesting for me. Except I already have a doublestuf stone and don't need another! ;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

#5 Moshe ben David, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    nicknapp and echo victor like this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Ok. For recommendations regarding free hand sharpening. DMT for diamond, Naniwa for ceramic. I use the DMT for quick sharpening, and a Naniwa for the final touch ups (and the wife's chef knives). But that is my personal preference and years of practice with free handing it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

echo victor likes this.
  7. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Fällkniven have a nice sharpener which is diamond on one side and ceramic on the other side. For you harder knives

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

echo victor and nicknapp like this.