1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations/Nominations for best EDC knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by DJG, Mar 24, 2013.

1. DJG

DJG Loaded Pockets

I don't really like the hole for an opener style so I guess that ruins Spyderco for me for the most part. I really dig that Gerber Crucial that I have because it has a little tap on the blade that makes opening it with your thumb very easy. I do like the full size handle though.

2. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

But, but, but...:( LOL, I'm the opposite. I don't like thumb studs. Good luck with your choice!:)

3. DJG

DJG Loaded Pockets

@ DJG
    Here are few for you to look at:

CRKT Drifter
    Ontario RAT Model 1
    Benchmade Mini Ambush
    Spyderco Tenacious
    CRKT K480KKP Shenanigan
    Spyderco Cat
    Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight
    Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556
    Benchmade Griptilian 551
    Benchmade 527 Mini-Presidio Ultra
    Spyderco Manix 2

Spyderco Military Black Blade - really like but $269 what!?

I took your list and edited it. Did you come up with these off the top of your head? The highlighted ones are what I like most and I took out knives that didn't appeal and added some at the bottom of the list that I have found.

Thanks for the suggestions :D

4. DJG

DJG Loaded Pockets

How do you open the knife one handed?

5. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

Edit: Misread your post!:rolleyes_revamped: I put my thumb in the hole, per se , and against the "top" of the hole and push. Pretty much exactly like you would with a thumb stud!

Every single time!
    In my, admittedly limited, experience with thumb stud openers I have had them catch on my pocket and open prematurely. I also find them hard to open with gloves on or if they're wet. I've never had any of those issues with Spydie holes. Or flippers for that matter. Also if the worst should happen and you have to use your knife for defense, fine motor control goes out the window with adrenaline. I'd rather have a big hole to put my thumb in than a little thumb stud.
    All that being said, Benchmades with an Axis lock can open and close without the thumb stud.

6. DJG

DJG Loaded Pockets

Spyderco knives make SO much more sense now. I was wondering why to huge hole in the blade but now I get it and its sounding like a good idea I just need to hold one and find out. Also good point about adrenaline, thumb studs would be easy to slip on with sweaty fingers. Liking Benchmade a lot now.

jeepsrjason likes this.
  7. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

The Axis is a more complicated lock mechanism vs. a frame lock, but very easy to use. The Mini-Grip is just a great all around design. Lots of great other choices mentioned in this thread.

8. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

9. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Vote for the BM Mini Grip here! Very fast deployment with either the thumb hole version or the thumbstud version. Great little knife. I have gotten rid of all my Spydercos except my PM2 which is not going anywhere.

10. Turd Fergusson

Turd Fergusson Loaded Pockets

The grip with the hole instead of the thumb studs is the best of both words. You can use your thumb, or use the axis lock and flip it open. The only reason I carry the dragonfly now is that the full-size grip was too large to carry in multiple municipalities in so cal. I did upgrade to the ZDP-189 steel and it stays super sharp.

jeepsrjason likes this.
  11. Nilloc

Nilloc Loaded Pockets

12. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

I just saw some new pics of the Spyderco Cat. Less than $50, plain edge, 440C steel, liner, G10, reversible clip, jimping, finger groove/choil. The new version is :censored:. I much prefer smaller blades for EDC.

New pics here. http://www.gpknives.com/spydercocatg10.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Valpo Hawkeye and jeepsrjason like this.
  13. DJG

DJG Loaded Pockets

I looked up that Gerber knife I carry a lot and it's a ripstop 1 with a 2.3" blade length. I really like that size and the only thing about the mini grip is the 2.91" blade length. I guess it's hard to know how big or small that is without holding it. Also I'm liking the sheepsfoot version with half serrated blade, all black. Now I need to scrape the money together. I shouldn't be looking at knives that make me want to buy more than one.

Also the spyderco delica 4 looks nice but I don't like the lock type.

14. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Skyline

15. Racer

Racer Loaded Pockets

Several of my favorites:
    At any given time likely to have the Delica or Dragonfly in my pocket.
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes I carry the Sanrenmu GB-763, shown on the bottom of this picture. It's probably worth triple the 15 bucks I paid for it.
    [​IMG]

catfishdan likes this.
  16. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Given your requirements, I would suggest you look at a Kershaw Skyline, a Kershaw Chill, or a CRKT Drifter, all of which are cheap knives that meet 100% of your criteria.

That said, if you'd be willing to accept variation, I would suggest an Alox Cadet, a Benchmade Mini Grip, or, my favorite EDC knife, the Spyderco Dragonfly. None of these are frame locks or liner locks, but they are really masterpieces of EDC utility. The Dragonfly is probably my favorite production knife ever, regardless of cost, especially if you spring for the ZDP-189 steel.

17. GurbZ

GurbZ Loaded Pockets

Some were off the top of my head some not, although I know of them all.
    You didn't like the Para-Military 2? It also comes in all black, like one I have :)
    [​IMG]

18. DJG

DJG Loaded Pockets

I like the size and price of the delica better. I do like the look of the para 2 but that might have to be a future purchase. Thanks for all the suggestions, also watching nutnfancy YouTube videos for more info.

19. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

Here's a quick comparison picture of the two.
    [​IMG]

20. 875fps

875fps Loaded Pockets

When I was looking for the best $30-$50 budget knife to EDC most people recommended the Spyderco Tenacious. I swear it has to be the most recommended knife out there. I know it's Nutnfancy 's #1 recommended knife. I would watch his video on it before you make a choice on something. It comes in a ton of different colors and blade types. I bought the satin blade version but wish now that I would have spent the extra $20 on a black blade. There are a million YouTube videos on it if you need to see it in action.

I absolutely love this knife. I also have a ZT 0350 but carry the Tenacious a lot more often. I am definitely a Spyderco fan now.

If you want something with better steel then I would look at the Sage or something in the Manix series.