1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for headlamp

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by resq1192, Nov 15, 2015.

1. resq1192

resq1192 Loaded Pockets

Hi eveyone,

I'm putting out a call for recommendations for a decent, heavy-duty headlamp. With the holidays coming, everyone wants ideas for gifts for me ..... "oh what a bell to ring." **LOL** :D So I am looking for a headlamp that runs on alkaline batteries, between 150-300 lumens and preferably LED. It's probably the only gift I'm really going to "wish for," as I've burnt through a lot of "no-name" lamps (even ones purported to use Cree led lights) and really want a one that will last a long time. I've perused lights by LED Lenser, Fenix and Streamlight but could really use some good suggestions from my fellow gearheads. Thanks to all in advance for any info. :help:

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Zebralight is a great place to start.

3. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Malkoff makes a very nice headlamp holder, sized to fit their MDC lights. The MDC series are available in a variety of battery types, modes, and outputs.

Expensive, but quality always costs :)

ManVsLawn likes this.
  4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

First, I'd start wishing for some Eneloops.:)

As for the headlamp, my recommendation is the Spark SG-5. Great looking, well made, reasonably priced, and unique enough that not everyone is going to have one (unlike the Zebra). Comes with a flood lens, but there is a spot one available as an accessory. Shown here without the headstrap.

[​IMG]

Cheeser and ManVsLawn like this.
  5. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Who's the hipster now? :giggle:

6. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

Petzl makes some really nice rugged and very feature rich headlamps for cave crawlers, miners etc... If you are looking for super nice headlamp, designed with being only a headlamp in mind and nothing else I would start there. I have been using a Petzl Mayo for about 5yrs now and I couldn't be happier. I do have a Fenix HL-50 but I have never used it as a headlamp, I prefer to have a battery box on the back of my head with a center strap to counter weight the lamp on my forehead, it makes for a much more balanced feel and I usually wear it right over my ball cap with no issues.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. madlag

madlag Banned

Good lord coney, what is that a statue of behind the light?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Robot Mania FU

Robot Mania FU Loaded Pockets

My vote still goes to zebralight. After using their UI, I personally don't think much compares.

9. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

My recommendation is the Fenix HL30, a 2XAA light that meets your specifications.

• Maximum 230 Lumens ON BURST MODE
    • 4 brightness levels, red light mode, red light flashlight mode, and SOS mode
    • Burst - 230 Lumens: Ni-MH Battery - 2 hours 25 min.; Alkaline Battery - 2 hours
    • High - 140 Lumens: Ni-MH Battery - 4 hours; Alkaline Battery - 3 hours 30 min.
    • Mid - 50 Lumens: Ni-MH Battery - 12 hours; Alkaline battery - 14 hours
    • Low - 4 Lumens: Ni-MH Battery and Alkaline Battery - 150 hr.
    • Constant-on: 1 Lumen
    • Red Light Mode - 1 Lumen
    I have the 2014 HL30 and used frequently when traveling or when two hands are needed for a task. Long run times and IMHO well spaced output settings. Feed rechargeable AAs and you will always have a reliable light source.

ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  10. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

It's a Fairy on some mushrooms, but I see where you might have thought something different.:D

[​IMG]

BigKurtHaze, madlag and ManVsLawn like this.
  11. madlag

madlag Banned

^^^hehehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  12. Welfare

Welfare Loaded Pockets

I like surefires and have a minimus... But I don't use it because of the beam. There is an outer very noticeable ring when it's fully on and it's distracting after a couple of hours . I use my Olight H15 wave nearly all the time now, it's great on batteries and very light.

13. amspratt

amspratt Loaded Pockets

+1 for Zebralight. The H52w does 290 lumens on a regular AA, runs for months at the moonlight levels, and has just about every brightness in between. Plus a great UI, quality headband, and sweet style! Furthermore, even though they're popular with us crazies, you're pretty unlikely to see them out in the real world, so you can still feel unique.

14. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I've got fenix hl30 2xAA I'm quite happy with - it got a decent workout last night. Very lightweight, and unobtrusive but because of its size watch where your hair goes. Mine was blowing around right over the led which reduced its efficiency a bit.

Oh and when it's burst mode it doesn't turn down to high, it turns off. Wasn't thrilled with that at the time with my hands full.

15. JC807

JC807 Loaded Pockets

Led Lenser Seo R. Can also take aaa's. Best head torch I've ever had, so light and comfortable, adjustable beam and intensity

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have to put in a vote for Black Diamond headlamps and literally any of them seem amazing to me so far!
    They start at $20 and even that model does pretty smooth infinite dimming to the table and simple operation too.

I don't think you can spend more than $100 for one but you can sure get one and a backup one too and still have money left over.

I use a ZL mostly but now I am carrying a Black Diamond almost all the time too.

17. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

No personal experience, but if i was to try another headlamp now id go for one of the Surefire ones :)

18. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

I only have a few and only one that uses primary batteries, the Fenix HL50 and I like it quite a bit. I am no spelunker nor do I use it often but I really like it's versatility.

• Can use a cr123 battery or AA (comes with the AA extender)
    • cr123 puts out higher output.
    • can be removed from the headband
    • Lightweight and comfortable
    • optional pocket clip allows for other carry options, mine is currently clipped to pals on my backpack strap
    • few different modes
    I do NOT like the way they implemented the Turbo mode, stupid in my mind, you have to press and hold the button. If you are looking for uber runtimes you probably want something with a seperate battery pack.

19. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Has its own dedicated battery system, and crazy expensive, but since we're discussing excellent headlamps ... Lupine makes some very nice lighting equipment :)