1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for backpack for college student? ...

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by speedmaster, May 17, 2015.

1. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Daughter getting ready for college. Would like to get her a really solid good backpack. She's has a 13.3" laptop.

What would you recommend? Brands and models?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. Stinson12

Stinson12 Loaded Pockets

Thule, Incase, swiss I personally like those brands and have had good expiriences.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. wrath0r
    • The Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Osprey makes some nice packs for bicycle commuters. I am very happy with my Kelty Peregrine 29 for a walking commute in the city carrying similar gear. I also would be remiss if I didn't put in a good word for North Face. They make several quality options.

Cobra 6 Actual and cowsmilk like this.
  4. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

EDC forum teamed up with SERT, i would get this bag but im broke as a joke right now theyre taking preorders here on the forum.

Cobra 6 Actual and cowsmilk like this.
  5. vzipper

vzipper Loaded Pockets

As a college student myself, I have seen any number of backpacks ranging from the "tactical" to your basic Jansport. For a girl, freshman, who probably won't want to use anything like a "tactical" bag, safe bets are: The North Face (fail safe), Herschel Supply Co (more trendy), Patagonia, Incase, Osprey, Nike.

6. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I carry a backpack day to day and recently picked up an Ogio Renegade. So far I'm really impressed!

Cobra 6 Actual and smokingfish like this.
  7. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes they do. I'm using a Spin 22 currently for EDC and it's a great bag. Depending on how much printed material she will need to carry, She might look at a Flapjill backpack which is a little bit bigger. My two high-school boys use Flapjack backpacks and they are working nicely for them. They all have 15" padded laptop sleeves built in, a decent amount of useful pockets, and are roughly $100. One of them is two years old, gets beat to hell, and still looks very good and functions perfectly. They will easily last until they have graduated.

wrath0r likes this.
  8. Cprrckwlf
    • +1 Supporter

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I like Osprey as well, but they might be coming at things from the wrong side as they specifically divide their line by activity (Outdoor, Travel, Bike). North Face, Patagonia, etc. is kind of the same way. Since you mentioned specifically the laptop you should be sure to take a look at a few things designed from the content side (specifically a Laptop Bag) instead of the context side.

For that I think you can't beat a Booq. Though not knowing your daughters taste I'll warn that they are more the win a design-award than a fashion-award type of firm.

Tom Bihn is another (well they actually do a bit from content and a bit from context), I have no experience with them directly but they get more than a little love from the crowd here and the worst review I've ever seen was "this bag doesn't quite git what I have in mind but I love it anyway and hate to return it."

twin63 likes this.
  9. wrath0r
    • The Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

I had the Spin's predecessor, the Metron, for years and wound up giving it to a friend who rolls with the bike messenger crowd but commutes into the city with his laptop for a technology job. He's been beating on it for years and very happy. The biggest complaint I could offer about these is that, as a backpack addict, they make it hard to justify buying new bags.

cowsmilk likes this.
  10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

That they do. I'll likely give the Spin 22 to my youngest for school, which should last until he graduates and then some. If it doesn't, they'll repair it for free.:)

wrath0r likes this.
  11. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

The Osprey Pixel Port might be a good fit.

12. speedmaster

Great thread guys. Thanks!

13. Jordan Stawarz

Jordan Stawarz Loaded Pockets

While my wife and I were in college we were both using Dakine bags. I don't remember the model my wife used, but I personally was using a Dakine Jordy Smith which worked great for me. Has a separate sleeve for a laptop, good size main compartment for books, admin pocket, and an insulated pocket on the front that I was able to pack a lunch in. Allowed me to have everything I needed for a full day a classes.

14. speedmaster

Thanks, guys. A friend ended up ordering one of the Herschel Supply bags she liked.

15. Gilatabar
    • The Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

16. Claptrap

Claptrap Loaded Pockets

May be a bit expensive, but I use my Goruck GR-1 for grad school. The books are almost as heavy as my bricks...the bag really holds up, is comfy and my laptop is well protected. Maybe a GR-0 if your daughter has a smaller frame.

Edit: whoops, just saw that the Herschel got ordered

343KD and Cr0wb4r like this.
  17. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

many options but in case you can spare another, Timbuk 2 is big on laptops and its affordable quality with urban fashion sense. North Face, Osprey, and the likes are good if you prefer the athletic look!

343KD likes this.
  18. FACE
    • The Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

Just asking instead of starting a new thread, but I think I'm in the market for a new messenger bag.

Last edited by FACE, Jan 14, 2016