1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for an EDC backpack that's non tactical

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by revilo951, Dec 14, 2018.

1. revilo951

revilo951 Empty Pockets

I currently have a backpack that's starting to fall apart a little, and it's a bit small too. What I carry in it is:

• *14" laptop (t480) and charger *misc cables (ethernet/usb/usb c adapter for hdmi,ethernet/etc)
    • 2 x baofeng uv-82
    • toiletries style bag full of electronics (bluetooth speaker, usb battery bank x2, car charger, misc cables, customised 26660 flooder light)
    • ram mounts windscreen phone mount
    • usb dvd drive
    • keys/thumb drives
    • small bottle of contact lens solution and a packet of painkillers
    • roll of duct tape
    Any suggestions?

2. Uzna

Uzna Loaded Pockets

I have a Vertx Gamut and EDC Ready Pack. I love the Gamut because of its organization and it's extremely low profile for the size. I did find it was a bit larger than what I need for an EDC pack which is why I got the Ready Pack. The EDC Ready Pack is a bit smaller and set up more like a "regular" backpack but suits my needs for EDC and diaper bag for the little one.

Based on what you carry, I think either would suit your needs just fine, it would just depend on if you want the few extra liters in the Gamut.

I have tried a few different 5.11 packs and in my opinion the Vertx bags have more features and the layout is much better than the 5.11 packs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

My EDC backpack is a Camsafe v25 from Pacsafe. As the name suggests it is designed to be used with a camera, with about 50% of the bag intended for a camera and a couple of lens, with access from the side. The padding is removable and the whole bag can be opened up if you need. Has a separate laptop section and Pacsafe's usual array of anti-theft features.

Jay-uk and Uzna like this.
  4. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I have a Timbuk2 Spire, the more I use it, the more I love it. It is slim and low-profile and sits well on my back, it does have some velcro and a little bit of PALS webbing but quite a lot of bags do today. There's a quick access zip for a laptop and it will hold everything you have listed and you will still have some space for extra stuff too.

FiaOlleDog and Uzna like this.
  5. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Several backpacks from outdoor gear providers (REI.com may provide a good market overview) may fit your requirements.

As mentioned in recent similar threads here: you may find it worth looking at the Osprey EDC 24/7 series. An Axis 18 for example fits a 14" laptop tight (a 15" wouldn't fit).

Other good options may be, as already mentioned, Timbuk2, Vertx, or the non-tactical 5.11 Dart series.

PragmaticMurphyist and Uzna like this.
  6. revilo951

revilo951 Empty Pockets

OK, some of those look great, I'll check them out.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Uzna likes this.
  7. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Covert 18 from 5.11.

8. Captdave13

Captdave13 Loaded Pockets

North face surge is one I use a lot that meets your requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. dndahead

dndahead Empty Pockets

I have a Vertx Gamut so that's the only bag I could comment on but when I was searching or a non-tactical bag, the Vertx Gamut and EDC Ready, Alpha One Niner Evade, and the 5.11 Covert18 were the ones that I considered. I think they're all worth a look for what you need/want.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  10. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

The Alpha One Niner Evade has been my EDC bag for over 2 years. Well built with an excellent layout (add the Matroskya pouches for even more organization) and non-tactical styling. I carry mine for work (corporate office setting), but I could just as easily carry it outdoors. Great pack.

11. JC807

JC807 Loaded Pockets

Look at the Mystery Ranch Urban Assault. Not tactical at all and not expensive.

12. Ronin101

Ronin101 Loaded Pockets

Love my vertx edc ready bag!!!!!

13. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Hi @Ronin101 would be great if you could give us some details why you love this pack. Thanks!

14. CHEF

CHEF Empty Pockets

Osprey on clearance still carries the lifetime warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I really like the AlphaOneNiner Evade. On the outside it is a very plain looking backpack, with the exception of the small patch panel. On the inside, it has a lot of organization options built in which I love.

twin63 likes this.
  16. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I am a huge fan of Kletterwerks for what you describe. I think they shifted production overseas, though.