1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for a winter EDC cap

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by echo victor, Dec 2, 2011.

1. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

Hi Everyone,

Having gotten a headache from web searches on the best -(warmest/most water-snow resistant/portable) winter pull-down cap to EDC. To be clear I'm speaking about a winter cap that looks like this for example. Various hats I've researched are either too itchy, too tight or too small, not water/wind resistant enough, or make you look like a gnome :laugh:. So, I was hoping that I could get a few recommendations for a cap I can stuff into my 5.11 Moab 10 in case I get caught out in the weather. I'd be willing to spend up around $30 +/-. I've looked at North Face, Columbia, 5.11, Mountain Hardware (I like this one best save the gnome top and the overly obvious logo) and a few others.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are very much appreciated. Happy Holiday!

thanks,
    w2edv

2. Omning

Omning Loaded Pockets

I like the offering by 5.11, was there anything that you in particular didn't like about it? Where are you located? My winter weather is considerably different then most since I'm in Orlando :)

3. echo victor

Hi, and thanks for the reply-

I live in NJ.

The 5.11 hat is fleece. In reading opinions on the web, I get the impression that wool caps are warmer. However, wool tends to itch. So, I thought there might be a more modern-materials blend which would be lightweight, comfortable, warm and wind/water resistant. Also, some caps have an ear flap band; this isn't critical, but some caps have negative reviews that they are too short to fit over the ears. My original thinking was that the companies that we on this forum deal with might have better offerings than consumer brands.

thanks,
    w2edv

4. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I have a North Face Bare Bones, fleece lined knit outside. It's a nice hat, warm, small and packable, well made.

5. PDE

PDE Empty Pockets

What's wrong with the one you linked?;D

6. ncmonag

ncmonag Loaded Pockets

Wigwam, I have one of the thermax caps it is a pretty comfy cap and it packs away pretty well

7. echo victor

Hi PDE - I just wanted to get recommendations for the warmth/waterproof-ness/windproof-ness and fit of a cap before I buy it. Many of the caps I've seen on-line are reviewed poorly as often as then are positively. Some caps don't extend down over the ears far enough, while others are one-size fits none. So, I'm of the opinion that getting a recommendation by the owner of a particular cap is something I can rely on.

Hi ncmonag - I looked at the Wigwam - it looks pretty good. How does it fit? It is a one-size fits all cap and I have a large head. Would you consider it snug? I wear a fitted baseball cap of size 7 3/4. Does it fit down sufficiently over the ears? I looked at the Mountain Hardware Dome Perignon cap and I think its pretty good but there is an obnoxious logo on the front, and it has a gnome peak. One thing about the 5.11 cap is that it is understated. I also found a U.K.-based brand called sealskinz which looks promising, but they aren't sold in the US - I have a question into the company and am awaiting a response.

thanks for the replies.
    w2edv

8. Gatsby25

Gatsby25 Loaded Pockets

I live in Michigan, obviously cold weather is a fact of life here. I can tell you that I own two of the hats that you linked to...SmartWool Cuffed Beanie. It is a fantastic hat. The logo is not too obnoxious and you can wear it with the logo in the back. It is really a comfortable hat that you can stick in your back pocket/coat pocket, etc. when you don't need it. Best of all, for a thin lightweight hat, it is surprisingly warm.

As for itching, I have not really had any issues. I even wear it when I run in the winter.

9. ncmonag

ncmonag Loaded Pockets

It is a bit snug but not uncomfortably so IMO, more like form fitted, it can creep up a bit but I've never had a cap that didn't and it's usually not to bad. It covers my ears very well with a 2in roll, and it's only got one small logo discretely sown on the inside where it should be. It looks and feels a bit light but always been plenty for me but I tend to be a bit hot blooded, also, The last fitted hat I bought was 7 3/4.

It's only the 2nd hat I was truly upset to lose, and I got lucky finding another because at the time I couldn't remember who made it or where I bought it.

10. inmypocket

inmypocket Empty Pockets

Tilley winter hat..woolrich I think I have a thick waxed canvas from them...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

11. echo victor

Gatsby25 - so the Smartwool is warm enough even for Michigan winters? I'm glad you mentioned that, because when I read the reviews on the REI site, I didn't get that impression. Would you consider it water/snow resistant?

I'm still considering the Wigwam, but I'm still looking :)

thanks for all the replies so far.

12. Gatsby25

Gatsby25 Loaded Pockets

I would consider the Smartwool hat snow resistant--yes. The great thing about wool is that even if it is wet, it retains its insulating properties--or most of it at least--that is why I use it for running. It is also breathable...natures performance fabric. The Smartwool beanie is good down to about 20-30 degrees. I wore said hat the last two days building some shelves in my garage. The temperature ranged from 28s to 44 degrees and my head was never cold.

I have some heavier hats--wool also--for nights in mid-January when I know that I am going to be on duty out in the bone snapping cold/wind.

13. PDE

PDE Empty Pockets

Well, from personal experience, I can attest to the excellent quality of smart wool products, owning copious amounts of socks of their's that I've been wearing continuously for years. I've seen one of their hats in a local outdoor shop and it felt well made, though a little snug on my head. I find that you really almost need to go somewhere and try a hat on so you know it fits well. Nothing as annoying as a poor fitting, uncomfortable hat. Filson also makes a watch cap that I own; excellent quality and the fitment is great. Also made of merino wool, so that's always a plus.

14. aedmband21

aedmband21 Loaded Pockets

15. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I love my Lowe Alpine. I have two, they are gore-tex on the outside, and Aleutian fleece lining. Very warm, but it doesn't make my head sweat. It also has a bill which I find very helpful to keep sun out of my eyes, or rain off my glasses.

16. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised no one has suggested a Stormy Kromer original wool cap yet? USA Made, classic design, amazing warranty / loss-replacement program....

Check them out, order one and put all of your other winter caps in the clothes donation bin.
    www.stormykromer.com

17. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

This is actually my favorite winter hat, but it seemed like the OP was looking for a beanie style hat.

18. Stationery Traffic

Stationery Traffic Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Stormy Kromer, which is my winter hat. I love mine.

19. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

Basically, anything made from SmartWool or Merino Wool is in your best interest for caps. They are thin, light and don't cause one to itch. Regular wool makes me it, but Merino Wool doesn't. As stated, when wet, wool will keep insulating properties. I have a wool cap similar to the one from REI and even while outdoors in -20 temps it keeps my bald head warm.

20. JayHawk

JayHawk Loaded Pockets

I have 2 of the Dome Perignon hats and recently bought 2 more in case they're discontinued. Like you, I could do without the garish logo, but their performance in cold, rain and snow has sold me. My hat size is 7 5/8 and the large fits just a tad snug around the ears which I like since it doesn't slip off unintentionally. The XL is a little to loose for me.