1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations - Daily Waterproof/Water-Resistant Backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by race2c, Dec 10, 2016.

1. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

Hi EDCF,

As my recent job transfer has constituted some changes in my daily carry, I wanted to reach out for some recommendations/opinions on a new backpack with some new requirements.

• Preferably non-tactical or minimal tactical-ness (current carry is a 5.11 Covrt 18)
    • Waterproof/water-resistant is critical (my previous walk to the office was across the street, now its through a couple buildings, on the sidewalk, across a couple more streets....thus rain is a given.)
    • Black is preferred
    • Budget: $150 is maximum
    Just for some details, my current carry is a tablet, a few pens/pencils in admin pocket, Lenovo T430 laptop (and charger), first aid kit, utility tools, headlamp and mechanix gloves, various charging cables and battery pack, a 32oz hydro-flask and my lunchbag. On some rare days, I carry a pair of headphones or a bluetooth speaker.
    If I am not able to find something that fits my desires, I may just get a rain cover for the bag. Then again, I always love an excuse to get a new bag.

2. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

There are some ways to put a wax coating on your existing bag to help it repel water. There's tutorials on YouTube I think.

There are some companies that make what is essentially a dry bag with shoulder straps. That would insure your stuff wouldn't get wet, but they have no organization, so you'd have to get some pouches to organize your stuff.

A quick search turned up Aqua quest. No idea on their quality, but they have interesting designs, both a dry bag with shoulder straps and for a bit more money, a waterproof backpack.

As you mentioned, a rain cover is a good way to save money and keep using the bag you have. There are some packs out there that have built in covers or that have a special pocket to put a cover. The cover is probably the best and cheapest way to go.

smokingfish likes this.
  3. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I would recommend a North face base camp backpack, they are made in quite a few sizes, but regardless the base camp material is awesome in wet conditions. Should be within budget too.

GatorMedic likes this.
  4. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Many of the true waterproof backpacks (or so it seems) are geared toward boating or climbing Mt Everest and not made for hauling laptops and office gear.

My wife uses a Granite Gear Boundary backpack. One reason we picked it (I helped do the research) is the repelaweave fabric does a good job repelling water according to reviews. Plus we sprayed it with Kimi Camp Dry Heavy Duty too. It seems to hold up well vs water and snow here in MI.

Many of the big names are water resistant: Osprey, Kelty, Patagonia, North Face, etc. You might need to use a wax or spray (I'm not sure what is best, Kiwi Camp Dry is convenient) to add another layer of protection.

I agree a rain cover might be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. Ken Watson

I would recommend a North face base camp backpack, they are made in quite a few sizes, but regardless the base camp material is awesome in wet conditions. Should be within budget too.

6. tmgplc

tmgplc Loaded Pockets

Check out Rickshaw Bagworks. Nothing tactical looking but I have a backpack made of waterproof x-pac material and aquaproof YYk zippers. High quality stuff. Sorry I can't post a pic now.

7. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I was recently checking out the Condor Fail Safe pack. It was pretty well built, looked nice and it had a removable built-in rain fly attached to the bottom of the pack. The price is decent too, less than $100 on many sites. You should give it a look.

8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If you want fully submersible packs then i agree.. But don't forget motorcycle backpacks, they might not stay dry when pushed under water a couple feet for half an hour but they are more than adequate in a very very heavy downpour. And they are tailored more towards commuting than to heavy outdoorsy stuff like boating/climbing packs are. Check out your local motorcycling(clothing) store but do pay attention to em as lots of these have built in back-protectors (as do backpacks aimed at skiing) so make sure that that's removable as it can be annoying when using em as 'regular' backpacks.

Myrddraal likes this.
  9. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

10. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

That rain cover seems solid for 10 dollars.

Luckily I live in a mostly dry state (southern ca), and it's more dry here than wet, but if it was more rainy and humid, I think a DIY wax layer would be more convenient than having to work with a cover over the long run.

11. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Your post made me google that pack. Apparently it primarily goes by the model name Kaban and is made out of the same material as the Base Camp duffels (depending on the colors chosen). I ended up buying one--Kaban Transit to be exact--to use as a dedicated beach backpack. Not sure whether I should thank you or be mad at you ;)

12. Jakala

Jakala Loaded Pockets

If you want a true waterproof and useage proof pack, look at ortlieb, mine is 5 years old and only scuff and mud marks!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G870F met Tapatalk

DIlan likes this.
  13. Jakala

Jakala Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G870F met Tapatalk

14. Ken Watson

Haha I know the feeling, this site is bad for that! Happens to me all the time. :)

I have a basecamp messenger and a basecamp duffle, both with literally 100,000+ miles of travel on them. Both well thought out items that continue to serve me well.

GatorMedic likes this.
  15. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

Oh Southern California, I lived in Redondo Beach (Riviera area) for a year. Being able to hear the waves at night, going to the beach and seeing the sunrise/sunset everyday/night was nice. One of those experiences I miss. The traffic and amount of people on the other hand....not so much.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

smokingfish likes this.
  16. smokingfish

Ah cool! I was born in Redondo Beach. Went back a few years ago to reminisce, it's not how I remembered it in the mid 80s.

race2c likes this.
  17. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

No matter if you get a waterproof backpack or not I would recommend getting a rain cover. Extra protection is never a bad thing and plus if it's cheap and lightweight.

18. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

Cool! I can only imagine how the area has changed. Back in the day, no one wanted to be by the beaches....now it's the place to be.

Jakala - What Ortlieb bag is that? I like Cor 13, but it may be to small for my use. How is the internal organization? admin pouch?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

19. smokingfish

I see it as the opposite. Redondo was safe for kids to walk around at night, beaches were clean.

Now, it's full of homeless drug addicts, thugs, and the beach is filthy.

20. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Patagonia has several dry bag backpacks. Most new bags will not be in the desired $150 range.

I have a 14-15 year old Patagonia dry pack that had a cool removable pod. I have successfully used it for kayaking and as a light travel pack. Unfortunately it has been discontinued for a decade or more.

I did buy a similar Cabelas branded dry pack for wife. Another place to check.

21. Jakala

Jakala Loaded Pockets

Its the ortlieb vario, very little organisation; a letter shaped sleeve and a zippered net pouch.

I used to have a A4 size grid-it in there, but now i use cheap "handbag organisers"

See also:
    https://www.edcforums.com/index.php?threads/136454/

22. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

Rain cover has been purchased and should be here Friday. I may try some other rain/water repellent stuff too.

In the meantime, I have been looking at other bags too. Ranging from Osprey, Patagonia, TheNorthFace, a few motorcycle ones, a couple snowsport ones and so forth. One Osprey has been popping up, the Nebula, and then a few snowsport ones made by Mammut and Deuter. Just seeing what is out there at present time.