1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendation Please

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by HeadOffice, May 3, 2019.

1. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I have a lot of O-Light and Nitecore but I feel I'm missing out on tail cap switches. They're just so much more comfortable and easy to find in the dark rather than those side switches. I have the VoidHawk T-Rex which is amazing - tail cap too - but it's about 6" in length and a little to large to EDC.

Can anyone recommend good tail cap lights (Surefire??) and a model number? Something about 3-4" in length, bright, doesn't need 50 modes and capable of taking the Thyrm ring? Red light adapter would be great too...

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I suggest you add to the characteristics you have specified and include the tail switch to be recessed so that you can stand the light on its tail. Really helps when power is out and you want to illuminate a room!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

That Movie Guy likes this.
  3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Surefire 6P (with Malkoff dropin) and G2X would be good choices, but they run a bit over 5" in length. I don't have any experience with it, but the Elzetta Alpha comes in at 4". I would check for compatibility with the Thyrm ring.

4. leathermaneod

leathermaneod Loaded Pockets

Lots of Streamlight options to choose from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

OLight M2R warrior. Best of both worlds. It quickly became my favorite and I too needed a tail stand tail clicky. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#5 demPho, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    smokingfish likes this.
  6. 340pd

340pd Loaded Pockets

I am in complete agreement with your thoughts on simplicity. My bedside is an older Surefire 6P with Malkoff M61 drop-in. It goes on and off, about as simple as you can get. Otherwise, I am a Malkoff fan. Sign up for their e-mail and get a one time 20% off.
    One thing both of my suggestions have and I feel is important, Push tailcap button for momentary on then full click or twist tailcap to lock on depending on which you brand of light choose. Personally, bu the time you buy a light and then purchase a separate drop-in, you are better off with one of the completed light from Malkoff. Great products, USA made, and lifetime guarantee.
    Malkoff offers a MD series and they permit recharagable batteries as well as CR123's but in my opinion the high- low ring model is very useful and well worth the few bucks it adds.
    My 2ยข

7. HeadOffice

smokingfish and twin63 like this.
  8. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I see you already found a light but since your an Olight fan I was going to suggest looking at the M1T Raider. I have a couple of the special edition models (low-high) and like them well enough that I am thinking about getting the standard (high-low) M1T. Not terribly expensive and the simple two level operation is convenient. There is also a M1T+ two CR123 model that is brighter but I think you may be limited to CR123s only with that version, the single cell M1T can run off a 16340.

HeadOffice likes this.
  9. BillyFred

BillyFred Loaded Pockets

Fenix PD-35 Tac is a sweet bright light (18650 battery). I've carried one for over two years. Recently I picked up a Fenix TK25 red/blue. It is great! It gives you all three colors without having to keep up with filters. It's also powered by an 18650 battery.

FYI, the Fenix website warns about a lot of counterfeits floating around. I ordered directly from Fenix. If you sign up for their mailing list you get 20% off first order. Also note the battery is extra. I always go for the big (3600 MAh battery. They sell two and for a dollar more you can get the battery with a built in USB port for charging from the car etc.

HeadOffice likes this.
  10. HeadOffice

Thanks - I have Fenix E12s in each nanowallet in the chest pocket of each coat I have. They're AA and work well but just a bit small. The Aviator is such a solid piece I'm very impressed.

11. leathermaneod

leathermaneod Loaded Pockets

On the M2R, if you lock the side switch, will the light still turn on with the tail switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

No. The lockout locks out all activation methods. For what it's worth, I've never had any issues with negligent discharge so to speak with this light, so locking out the tactical tail switch isn't a concern for me. I think it rides low enough that it doesn't get triggered much. The S1R II has been accidentally activated more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk