1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Paulie Walnuts, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I have always wanted a pocket watch. There are so many out there it is driving me insane. Anyone know of a good one they would recommend?

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. KnoxButler

KnoxButler Loaded Pockets

I don't know of many modern pocket watches that are quality made these days. Most you can buy new are cheep quartz movements with cheep cases to house them.

Depending on how much you are willing to pay, your absolute best shot at getting a quality pocket watch is to go on eBay and search for antique pocket watches. The watch/pocket watch market on eBay is huge! You should be able to find a very nice pocket watch for around $100.

What you should look for:
    -Anything older than 1940's. Most watches made before that time were well made peaces of machinery and despite there age quite accurate. The older the better.
    -If your looking for the standard pocket watch, you want to look for a size 17 or 18. Be careful with this, its hard to determine the size of a watch through photos and they made watches as small as quarters that look exactly like the full sized ones.
    -Find one that appears to be in good aesthetic condition and is said to be in good working order. Another thing to be careful of, a lot of pocket watches are sold for parts on eBay, even though they may look like there in one piece.
    -The more jewels the better, the jewel count is a good way to get a rough idea of the quality of the piece, the higher the better. Anywhere from 17-21 jewels is great (15 is good too).
    -Find something you like (I like most Elgin pocket watches), then do some research to find out more about the watch. Most watches have serial numbers on the movement back, you can often do a search and find out more information about that specific movement.

Once you get something you like, I would highly recommend taking it to a local watch repair shop (try mom and pop shops, not the ones you find in a mall etc. ) to have them clean it, tune it, and lube it up for you. This can be expensive too, but absolutely worth it. I have a pocket watch that has been in my family for 108 years and it still keeps perfect time after I got it cleaned by my local shop. It cost about $130 for them to do it, but it was worth every penny IMO.

All in all, for $200-300 you can get a pocket watch that has been around for a hundred years and still keep ticking for 200 more.

Oh and Steer clear of the cheep "steam punk" pocket watches that are sold for cheep on eBay. There everywhere and are total crap.

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Most non-chain, father & son type jewelry stores have an estate section where older pocket watches can be found. eBay might be fine, but sometimes it's nice to be able to hold something of this nature that you are going to buy.

ATB,
    Sam

4. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Loaded Pockets

I have two Royal London pocket watches, fully mechanical movements. Windy-uppy, so no batteries :)

I've had them for a couple years now and never had any problems with them, both cost less than £100.

5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Wenger, and Victorinox both make a extremely well made pocket watch from what I've read/been told... Dunno first hand, can't afford one yet. ($100 to $200 and up range)

Most of mine are what the guy above calls "cheap quartz, in cheap cases" Mostly store brands(none of which I can remember the name of now.) Like most $50 run of the mill wrist watches, low end pocket watches work well enough as long as you don't drop them on concrete too often, run over them with the car etc.. ;)

6. Octane957

Octane957 Loaded Pockets

I have been in the search for a pocket watch myself. I am looking at the Victorinox or Wenger pocket watch. They are both heavy and you can tell very well made. You can keep a eye out on ebay they come through there sometimes.

7. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the tissot

8. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Hey, Paulie --

As several others have mentioned the Victorinox pocket watch is a good one:

[​IMG]

I have had one of these for years and it still works just fine. Although a bit hard to find, these are still available used on eBay and other secondary market sites. For something just a tad more pricy, you can buy a new Mondaile Swiss Railway watch:

[​IMG]

These use a quartz movement and are in the $250 and up range.

At another level entirely, Knox's idea for a used vintage watch is also a good one. I have a 14kt gold pocket watch that has been in the family for over 100 years and, as with his family heirloom, still keeps excellent time. Expect to spend some money on one of these, but it will definitely outlast you.

I should also mention that I have a Wenger alarm pocket watch:

[​IMG]

It's a bit big for pocket carry and is actually designed to use as a travel alarm clock. One major problem: the actual alarm cannot be heard unless you have your ear resting on the watch case. So, it stinks for that purpose and at ~$220 it was a waste of money for me (since I DID want to use it as a travel alarm). I use it in my bathroom as a table clock instead.

Another one to consider is a Guard Dog (this one is apparently made ... or at least marketed by Duluth Trading Company ... also available in some Red Wing stores) for about $80:

[​IMG]

As you can see it is designed to clip to your belt or pocket versus go IN your pocket. I don't have one of these, but a buddy does and he likes it a lot.

Summing up: for your first pocket watch I would go with a good-condition, used Victorinox. If you like it, then look for an excellent condition vintage one using Knox's 'shopping list' as a guide. Good luck!

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Feb 17, 2014
  9. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Loaded Pockets

Thank you so VERY much to everyone's replies. I appreciate it more than you,all know !

10. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Good luck, Paulie. Let us know what you finally get!