1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommendation For a 20L daysack please?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Pete E, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Pete E

Pete E Empty Pockets

A couple of years ago, I started having to commute to work here in the UK.

I have various packs including a Rush 12 and Rush18 Covert plus several others..

For commuting, I dislike these because their tactical appearance (ie mole ect) and I am looking for something more civilian, plus they are too big being in the 30L to 35L range..

I have a cheap Karrimor which is ok in some respects but the material has no body to and it feels like a cheap carrier bag on your back.

However, a few weeks ago, I noticed a small pack in a charity shop window...It was a little Eurohike about 20l or 25L in size like new condition and only £3.50!

The material feels far better quality than the Karrimor, being closer to a light weight cordura like my Rush 12...It is generally perfect, except its bright red! Not my fist choice in colour...
    My first thought was to buy new one in a different colour, but it looks like its been discontinued and there is no model name on it other than "Eurohike"..

So any recommendations for a smallish civilian daysack that's not stupid money and available in greys or blues? The Wenger range seem like contenders, but some are a bit on the large side...The largest thing I need to carry or a 10" notebook or maybe an a4 file...

Not interested in messenger style bags, army surplus nor backpacks with roll tops..

Thanks in advance,

Peter

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Have a look at Thule, osprey and pacsafe. (I know I'm always banging the pacsafe drum, but for something non-tactical they're worth a look).

Jay-uk likes this.
  3. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Got a pic of the Eurohike pack? It will give us a better idea of exactly what you are looking for. You can also try dyeing it to a suitable color.

sent from your mamma's house

4. guttaperk

guttaperk Loaded Pockets

I can vouch for Pacsafe. They’re awesome.
    Though I’m about to switch to a Millican. Nicer materials but none of Pacsafe’s advanced theft protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay-uk and Journo like this.
  5. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

You sound like you're from here in the UK? Milletts, the camping shop sell a massive range of 'Eurohike' backpacks, you may have some luck there.

If you're looking at Wenger (or Victorinox) backpacks, I'd suggest popping into your local TK Maxx - All the ones near me always carry these packs, at a lower retail price than most online retailers.

6. Pete E

Pete E Empty Pockets

I will see if I can take a couple this evening next to my Rush
    Cheers mate..Never thought of TK Maxx, but you're right...Alas I am 99% sure the Eurohike bag I have as been discontinued...The likes of Millets seem to swap and change their cheaper imported stuff nearly every season...

7. Tallboyjim

8. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

2nd vote here for Millican, I have a shoulder bag and a rucksack and I love them both! I commute with them in central London and have no issues at all.

Jay-uk likes this.
  9. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

I understand you looking for a less tactical bag but you might want to rethink your size requirement, the Rush 12 is only 24 liters not 30 plus so 20 liters may still be a bit larger than you seem to be looking for.

10. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

you may laugh now, but I love my "Starttid" bought at IKEA for under 20 euros. It is a box-shaped and full clamshell opening and has a flat divided front pocket that takes its space from the inside main compartment, so it always keeps a clean profile, a bit like the goruck offerings. By no far I would compare the build quality to grouck, but my humble Starttid has held up two years now for urban use and sport, and still looks nice. Has about 15-20 liters and just enough room for essentials in the city and some grocery shopping after work. I overstuffed it several times and the stitching is still good.

I guess they have grey as well, mine is black. Not much organisation, but I just throw in some pouches with misc items, so no problem for me. it has a small tote back inside on the back attached with a velcro strap. you could use this as laptop compartment or for papers or just throw some foam mat inside for better padding.

They later released the "förenkla" which has sidepockets for bottles or umbrellas that also expand to the inside, but can be closed and hidden if not needed, has some more good details, like mesh pockets inside, padded laptop compartment, sturdier fabric and stronger (but silver) zippers. a bit more expensive, but still only like 40 euros. Iif it weren't for the silver zippers, I would have upgraded to this one.

Both can be found in different colors. I cut off the small ikea logo sewed in at the side. now it's just a plain black no frills civilian backpack. And even if it's IKEA mass produced, I only met two people so far in two years that had one (one gave me the recommendation when I asked what backpack she had)

Last edited by flux, Jun 21, 2018
    #10 flux, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Myrddraal likes this.
  11. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

Have a look at the Osprey Daylite Plus and the Deuter Speedlite 20.

I went with the Osprey and love it.

If you deem 20L to be too much, check out the regular Daylite which I believe comes in around 13L.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  12. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

What's the organisation/admin like on the daylite? I'm interested in one too but not sure how I'd adjust after 3 years with a rush 12.

Journo likes this.
  13. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

Look into Kletterwerks, namely the Summit. It's 20L, made in USA, and they're on sale in a lot of places.

creekster and fresh eddie fresh like this.
  14. Tallboyjim

I'd say look at their website but it's too many small, arty photos that are too close to see anything useful. Go outdoors stock them - and a few other ospreys - if there's one near you.

Journo likes this.
  15. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

This is annoying... When manufacturers make it so hard to get a look inside their bags before you buy them!

Tallboyjim likes this.
  16. Tallboyjim

It's hard enough to see what a bag looks like from the back - i.e. Padding etc. Admin? No chance!

17. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

Speaking for the DL Plus...

There is one small front pocket roughing 8.5" x 5" (it tapers so 8.5" tall and 5.5" wide at the top, 4.5" wide at the bottom.

EDIT: I should add that behind the front 8.5 x 5" pocket it's basically a "stuff it" pouch.

Then there is the true admin pocket which is 8.5" wide and 9.75" tall. That has a key clip and two elastic mesh pockets. It's not huge but it does the job. Phone, keys, wallet, flashlight, glasses cleaner, first aid kit, battery charger, etc all fit easily.

Main pocket opens very well, easy access to the bottom with a laptop/tablet padded sleeve (I more use it for a lightweight jacket or as an internal bottle holder). There is a hydration bladder sleeve between the pack your back that makes it very easy to insert and remove the bladder without opening the pack. Also nice in the event it leaks it's not immediately impacting abutting inside.

I'm on my phone and not in a position to scale down/upload to a third party server at the moment but have pictures I can post. I wish I could standstr upload to the site!

Also, at $60usd it's a bargain compared to a lot of other bags on the market. I'm sure with the 4th coming there will be some sales too. Sprinkle in the Osprey warranty and it's a good buy IMO.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  18. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply. I've added one to my Amazon wishlist. Not an immediate purchase, but a strong contender.

swedishelite22 likes this.
  19. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

sorry for late reply - i missed this thread by "just" half a year :bundle-of-joy_throwvertical:

+1 for Ospreys EDC 24/7 line, especially the DayLite Plus, Axis 18, Flare 22, as well as the Quasar 28 may be of interest. All of them are light-weight, durable and have a good (not great, depending on your needs) organization / pockets.

Journo likes this.
  20. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Camelbak Rim Runner