1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend some places in UK

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sbillard, Jun 3, 2014.

1. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Hi people,

Are there some places in the UK that you would you recommend to spend 1 or 2 weeks for vacations in september ? We are interested in nature and moderate day hikes mainly (10 to 15 kilometers loops). We like hills, rivers, forests, rocks, prairies, moorlands and traditionnal pastures. My wife is not confortable with mountains, so hills and soft mountains are prefered (like the Ardennes in France and Belgium).

An important point : the place should be easily accessible from North France, by ferry, plane or whatever and we don't want to drive a car (driving to the left is a big no-no for me).

I realize we don't know much about our british neighbours :(

2. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

You can get to Weymouth in Dorset by ferry from, I think, St. Malo and Caen. Weymouth is in west Dorset on the south coast of England and is within reasonable distance of everything you are after. You can also visit the Channel Islands on the way. Have a look and see what you think, also look at Dartmoor which is not far from Weymouth.

If you come on the ferry from Boulogne or Calais you'll end up in Kent (where I live) which is good for London but not so much for countryside anymore, alas - it's a bit overcrowded now. I don't know about flying over, but if you can fly to Exeter that will put you right in the sort of country you are after. Hope this helps.

sbillard likes this.
  3. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Thank you, Dartmoor looks awesome, now I have to find a way to access this area :)

4. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

The Lake District. A bit of a trek for you, but it can be as hilly or flat as you want. Stick to the towns for pretty things and good food and easy local walks, or backpacks and higher mountains if you want them (although probably not with your wife).

To me, it's the prettiest place in the world :)

5. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

Some websites you might find useful.

nationalparks.gov.uk/

naturalengland.org.uk/regions/south_east/visiting/default.aspx

visitbritain.com/en/National-parks-trails-and-Areas-of-Outstanding-Natural-Beauty/

nationaltrail.co.uk/

visitsoutheastengland.com/things-to-do/outdoor-activities/walking

6. FISH HUNTER

FISH HUNTER Loaded Pockets

Could get a ferry straight into Poole Harbour , from there you could check out the Purbeck Hills , Corfe Castle , Maiden Castle , Bovingdon Tank Museum , the steam railway , Studland Bay.... just a few of my favourite places , all within a few miles of each other ....
    A picture of Corfe Castle to wet your appetite ...
    [​IMG]

SurvivePenna likes this.
  7. Brando

Brando Loaded Pockets

Wales.

Ideally mid Wales or south west Wales for walking, nature, history, castles and general wonderful scenery and places to go. I'd also say North Wales but that would be a bit far for your probably, plus the walking in North Wales is more mountains than hiking.

By the way - driving on the left, my American hubby got into it VERY easily, and he loves roundabouts (traffic circles), he recons they are so much better than waiting for traffic lights to change all the time!