1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Wildcat14, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

I haven't wore a watch with any kind of regularity for several years. I kept breaking them at work an eventually just stopped wearing one at work and began just looking at my phone. That eventually lead to me just not wearing one anytime. I am considering getting another one to wear when not at work. I don't know much other than I would like a compass and maybe a thermometer. Also, I want to stay under $100. I am just not going to spend more than that not knowing if I will wear the thing or if it will just end up in a drawer. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

I'm guessing the fact you want a compass and thermometer you're thinking along the digital watch lines? You can pick up some suuntos within you're budget like the core or maybe a gshock rangeman, maybe slightly over you're budget because I'm not sure about US prices but you guys normally pay in dollars what we pay in pounds for something so I shouldn't be too far out maybe $120-130 but worth the extra little bit for either imo.

Colt Seavers likes this.
  3. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I'd buy a G Shock or Timex of some description. G Shocks in the lower price ranges work well but the straps eventually give out. You might be better with a simpler watch and something like a Silva compass. I don't tend to worry about the actual temperature reading just whether it's too cold, about right, or too hot. Choice, I guess, also depends what you do outside of the workplace.

4. Colt Seavers

Colt Seavers Loaded Pockets

My Core cost me around £160 i think, the Rangeman was £170, and that was imported, cheapest i could find at the time. You may get a second hand one for less

5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

A couple things...you are likely to have a hard time finding a decent watch with those features for under $100. Second, watches with wrist mounted thermometers are notoriously inaccurate while being worn. They need to be removed for like 20 minutes to get an accurate ambient temp reading. Otherwise they are influenced by your body heat.

6. Colt Seavers

Colt Seavers Loaded Pockets

I concur. They are not the most accurate thing. Baro/Alti are fine though. May need the odd calibration

Kev2488 likes this.
  7. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

I was under the impression that no watches under $100 had a compass feature. However after looking it up I found that the Timex Expedition Shock Digital Compass can be had in the $75 range.
    I do agree with the overall opinion that watch thermometers are borderline useless due to the very specific conditions needed for an accurate reading.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Kev2488 likes this.
  8. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

Yeah the temp feature on Protrek watches stink. The compass is also borderline efeective. My Fenix 3 the temp stays within 10 degrees of the actual temp on my wrist and when you take it off it actually reads within a degree or two(tested next to a digital thermometer). Everything is more accurate and effective on my Fenix because it's a GPS watch so it's almost perfect when it gets calibrated but that cost about $500 to $800. I have the Timex Expedition Shock Compass and it's accurate and rugged and comfortable but it's not the most attractive thing. I have the OD green one and it was $60 compared to the $90 or more they wanted for the black version. If you don't need a compass get a cheap Gshock or Timex Shock and throw and just throw a clip on compass for more accurate readings.

Sent using an overpriced phone plan..

Colt Seavers likes this.
  9. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Buy one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-External-Temperature-Sensor-Products/dp/B0092ZMXBS

I've had one on my pack since the fenix 1, works an absolute treat also handy when camping etc clipping it off outside the tent/ shelter range is around 10metres battery has lasted 4 years up to now and it's been through the washing machine twice clipped on a jacket lol

10. ScoutMedic

ScoutMedic Loaded Pockets

I prefer a quality mechanical ... you get what you pay for.
    I have my grandfathers Elgin1943 16j watch he was also a Medic in WWII he went from Africa > Italy > France to Germany. It is still in rotation in my watches which are all Mechanical
    My collection in Chronological order
    Waltham Trench watch - 17j
    Elgin - 16j
    Benrus Type II - 17j
    Fortis Flieger GMT Chronograph /Chronometer (movement Valjoux 7750 ) - 25j
    Omega Seamster Chronometer - 23j

My final bit of advice ...Buy the absolute best watch you can afford as you will have it for a lifetime

"DocM"

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. Sand

Sand Loaded Pockets

First off, just as an FYI, watch thermometers won't get an accurate reading until they're off your wrist for 15 minutes or so. It's actually pretty annoying. Just wanted to point that out.

Suunto Core is awesome but expensive. I have one and love it. Battery changes are relatively easy. I put silicone grease on the o-ring myself and took it diving again with no issues.

Casio SGW-100 has compass and thermometer for ~$37. I have this as well for a beater watch. Probably the cheapest with the features you want. They also have a cool looking negative display (black background instead of silver/gray) model but it has some blue and yellow in there, too, which I don't like.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00186YU4M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=351HLYTZ2N4U9&coliid=I2S49XV0KT3DXT

Casio Men's DW5600MS-1CR looks great with the negative display and is a G-Shock which means it will last a very long time. However, does not have compass and thermometer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QFYDEC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ScoutMedic likes this.
  12. ScoutMedic

ScoutMedic Loaded Pockets

+1 on the thermometer reading... I purchased a Suunto Ambit 3 for strictly "off the wrist use''. I made this choice because of the thermometer issue and after I gave my old Suunto Core to a friend of mine after I upgraded to the Ambit 3. Now I have it off the band and lashed with gutted paracord to my EDC pack. The Barometer / Altimeter / Temperature and GPS work very well with it off the wrist in the "Fused Mode" to a know Elevation with the Barometer and the GPS is spot on. Unlike the Suunto Core model there is no... battery change as its a USB to a OEM clip for the watch. I keep that cable stowed in my Goal Zero Nomad 7 pouch and 1 in the ashtray of my truck. Barring a EMP ....Between my portable power and Solar set up. I will always have the capability to charge the watch.

This is why I own Mechanical / Automatic watches for wrist wear.... no batteries required.

Moshe ben David and Sand like this.
  13. Sand

Sand Loaded Pockets

For accurate GPS, you should have a high capacity rechargable battery. It definitely makes sense. I change my Core's battery every 6-12 months and I don't mind at $0.40 a pop. If I know I need the watch for a trip/dive I'll just pop in a new battery if it's been a few months.

I mostly wear autos, too. All dive watches. My digital watches only see wear on the weekends.

jcombs likes this.