1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend Me a Watch: Big Wrists

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Brandon_4078, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Brandon_4078

Brandon_4078 Loaded Pockets

So I've never been a watch guy but recently I've been finding the need for one. And it doesn't hurt to have one for special occasions anyway (date night, business meetings, etc). I do like watches but I have never gotten into the habit of wearing one. Some day I would like to be able to afford a nice watch like a Tag Heuer Monaco, nice moon phase dress watch, or another classy and clean chronograph like the Monaco. (I've got a thing for good design and well crafted, intricate, mechanical things) However being an engineer paying off his school loans I won't be able to get something like that until I'm into my 30's, if even then. So for now I would like to get a decent EDC watch. Something that I'm not going to be terrified of scratching and is serviceable. I might try modding as well.

My wrists measure between 8-8.5" depending on where I measure or how tight I measure so I imagine a larger case and lug width would suit me best.

Things I like:

Automatic hackable watches that are able to be manually wound

Chronograph (most likely out of price range)

Moon Phase complications

Diver watches with 60 minute markers on the bezel (useful for timing things)

Water resistance (30 ft is more than enough - I don't swim or dive)

Lume but doesn't need to be intense (long lasting > brightness/amount)

Stainless steel case

Black/silver/white face with minimal color (like it to go with anything)

Made in Japan, Germany, Switzerland, And USA with their heritage matching their origin.

Things I don't like:

Quarts/digital/battery powered watches (but I can deal with it if the price is right) (can't justify the same cost for a circuit board as an intricate mechanical mechanism)

Day/date even though most come with them.

Busy hard to read at a glance dial. Something like A citizen nighthawk is a little too busy but tolerable. Seiko Monster is sort of hard for me to read at a glance with the big tooth shape.

I know I won't be able to "have it all" (especially on my budget), just some guidelines of what I'm looking for.

Budget is about $500 or less (300 or less is more obtainable at the moment). Keep in mind that I'd rather save for longer than buy now and be disappointed all because it saved me $200-$300. I've been looking for a while and have a few ideas but I would like to see if I missed a good brand, model,etc. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give good info so I get good responses.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

No suggestion on particular models. However. The smoke shop (cigars and pipes) I hang out at (they have their own smoking lounge) has quite a number of guys who are big guys; these guys seem to particularly like Invicta divers and chronometers. I don't know just how big the various watches are but they are definitely large case with hefty bracelets. IIRC, Amazon sells a lot of Invicta models; you might want to be looking into this.

Looking forward to 'seeing' what you end up with!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Go to eBay and search for seller watchgooroo, they (it's a woman who runs it) are an AD for Glycine and have several watches heavily discounted and will accept lower bids on the make an offer stuff. The Glycine's are Swiss Made, of very nice quality and most of her offering are automatics. There are some larger watches, 42mm +, that should fit the bill and you should be able to find something around $300 on the make an offer watches. Several different styles are offered, diver, Chrono, military, etc. so I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something you like. The Combat Sub would be a place to start your search. Her feedback is excellent and she has great CS, highly recommend you at least take a look. Let us know what you end up with, good luck.

Edit: here is a link.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glycine-Mens-3890-11-LBK7F-Combat-6-Automatic-43mm-Mineral-Crystal-Watch-/332019118742?hash=item4d4de1b296:g:BZ0AAOSwcLxYJK7l

Last edited by jcombs, Dec 25, 2016
    Davidka likes this.
  4. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

5. Brandon_4078

I will definitely take a look see, thanks for the recommendation!

I forgot to mention in my initial post that preowned/used is also a route I would be willing to take. For an EDC watch I expect it to get knocked around so getting a good deal on a watch with minor wear and tear already is something I'm okay with. Also takes some of the sting out of the first knock I give it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidka likes this.
  6. Brandon_4078

jcombs likes this.
  7. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

It's a buyer's market for nice watches at the moment. First find what you like/want then do some homework. There are lots of options to source them also, grey market sellers have deep discounts, eBay is an option too and WatchRecon is a good app to monitor used sales. Watches that retailed for $1500 can be bought new for $300-$400 today, 70-90% discounts off of retail are common. Often, the used market has not realized the current discounts and are priced higher than new. Just do a lot of comparison shopping before you buy.

Brandon_4078 likes this.