1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a tripod

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Haubitz, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

I turned 30 last week and for my birthday I got a video camera. I’d like to use the camera for filming wildlife and for that I would like a tripod. The question is simple which tripod could you recommend me? I would like it to be fairly light and compact so that it’s easy to pack in/attach to my Falcon II.

2. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I always have THIS tabletop Manfrotto in my DSLR bag. On the plus side it holds far more weight than anything in its class and will literally disappear in just about any bag. On the downside, it might be difficult to get elevation in the outdoors, although for still cameras, leaning vertically against a tree works quite well.

4. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

I've got one of these; http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~man~Slik~productID~8464~categoryid~189.html and it's very good for its size. Goes down to almost ground level and almost eye height if you raise the column. Very portable too. It won't replace a full size tripod but it's small enough to keep strapped to my E&E and stable enough to hold an SLR and 180mm macro, just about (and that's a big lens). The only thing I would say is the head it comes with is pretty small and I replaced mine with a Manfrotto ballhead.

5. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

6. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Don't skimp on your tripod, get a Manfrotto or a Bogen.

7. MashBill

MashBill Loaded Pockets

Manfrotto is the best I have used.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

8. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

I have a Manfrotto 055XProB, (the metal one). Excellent piece of kit. I chose it on the advice that extending the centre column can introduce shake. With the 055 with just the legs extended it's a little too tall for me to use, and solid as a rock. Also the legs can go nearly flat and the column can go horizontal to get really low shots.

It's quite heavy though, but if you can get a carbon fibre one it should weight a bit less.

9. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

A friend of mine likes her aluminum Tiltall. I think she mostly uses it for photography, but I've seen her take video too.

10. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB, as well as the 680B monopod with the tripod leg insert.

The tripod is too clunky and heavy to travel with, but I do travel with the monopod (allowed as a carry on!). It's also good for keeping doors closed at night as well as for keeping the more dangerous wild animals and such away, if you get my drift.

However, for your needs you might want to take a look at the even more portable/packable Joby Gorrilapod SLR-Zoom.

11. yellowhammer

For those with the 055XPROB, there is a short centre column available that is very useful. I do a lot of insect photography and it is very useful for getting down low quickly. A short column can also reduce vibration as apparently (I read somewhere on the internets) even a lowered column can cause a bit of shake. I can also recommend the optional spiked feet. Here's my fiddy-five. I've since covered the legs in heatshrink tubing as well. Click through for notes as to what's what.

[​IMG]
    All the gear, no idea... by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

12. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

Thank you all for the many proposals. I’ll check them all out.

This is a whole new world to me. There sure is a lot to choose from. ???

13. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

ive got the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with a 701HDV fluid video head. Great combo.

14. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

That's a great idea, those legs get really cold this time of year. I was using a Canon pad but it's ridiculously thick.

15. yellowhammer

It works well. The heatshrink cuts just enough of the cold out to make touching the legs bearable. I've got a set of padded neoprene covers but the Velcro closure annoys me, far more than it should. I'm debating whether to use clear heatshrink over camo cloth or tape. That will either look great or really stupid. I guess there's only one way to find out! ;D