1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a traditional folder !

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Gears, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

Hey folks,
    I am looking for a non-tactical, more traditional folder, something more people friendly. I have almost no experience with traditional folders outside of SAKs so that's why I'm asking. I'd like something classic like Case/Queen/Bulldog or other that I have yet to find. I would like to try a Damascus type blade like this one here but I live in a fairly humid climate, so would it rust? Also, I do like lockbacks and or locking blades. This knife would fit into my EDC rotation along side my Mini-grip, Fallkniven U2 and Sog Blink. I would prefer the knife be made in North America or Europe. I am not looking for a SAK, I have enough of those. Something with 1-2 blades would be preferable.
    This knife will be a user, so something that will stand up well and keep a decent edge would be great!
    Thanks in advance!
    -Gears
    :highfive:

2) What Region/Country/State will the knife be purchased in?
    [x] I will be mail-ordering or buying online.
    [x] I am in Ontario, Canada.
    [x] I am aware of the restrictions on knives for my region.

3) Price Range: Remember... the rest of these will heavily govern where this may fall!
    [x] $80-$120

4) Style of Knife:
    [x] Folder - Manual

5) Overall Length
    [x] 1-3 Inches

6) Blade Style
    [x] Drop Point
    [x] Sheepsfoot
    [x] Wharncliffe

7) Blade Edge
    [x] Plain

8) Desirable Characteristics of Steel (Thanks to meeshi_ma for the help on this one!)
    [x] Easy to sharpen
    [x] Good edge retention
    [x] Rust/corrosion resistant

9) Blade Coating
    [x] None

10) Handle Material
    [x] Wood
    [x] Bone/Horn
    [x] Synthetic

11) Intended Carry: Where will you put it?
    [x] Pocket

13) Folder Lock Method/Construction
    [x] Linerlock
    [x] Lockback
    [x] Slip-Joint

14) Sheath Material: What's going to hold it?
    [x] None

16) Production: How is this knife produced?
    [x] Production Knife

17) Weight (Mass)
    [x] Light
    [x] Medium

18) Style of Knife
    [x] Classic (think wood and such)

19) Other Comments - Note what else you need/want in this space:

300th Post!!! :woohoo:

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I am happy that it will be a user... Too many collect dust.

For a using knife I think you need to identify the blade profile you want. What will the the most common tasks.

Growing up I used to buy the same knife every year, I actually wore them out. It was a 2 bladed Old Timer. They were nice but didn't hold up to my abuse. I also had a problem with them as I frequently would borrow others knives when I wanted a sheeps foot blade.

Case has a good variety of knives. Instead of a compromise blade or a compromise of two blades if you know all the types you might want you might be able to find a 3 or 4 blade knife that does all of the cutting types you likely encounter.

When I think back on my youth I would have probably been better served by a Stockman than my Old Timer.

Ooops... locking. Hmmmm

Some blade usage does not seem to need a locking blade but for other usage it is very nice to have. You might need 2 knives still.

3. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

I do like the drop point sheepsfoot combo, and as long as the slipjoint has a tight closure in the open and closed positions I'm OK with that. I've had too many crappy SAKs close up on me while doing cutting work, though they were not Vic or Wenger. I guess what I want to know is - best bang for buck, and also will Damascus just turn to rust-yuckus in a moderately humid environment?
    Most common tasks will be light cutting ie. rope and paracord, probably cutting cardboard and slashing open mail (opening packages containing EDC orders :) ) for certain some food cutting. No dressing deer carcasses, or hunting tasks, maybe cutting up a ham for sandwiches, pretty basic stuff, you get the idea.
    Thanks
    Gears

4. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Your not even going to do emergency trimming on a horse hoof. How uncivilized ;D

A sheepsfoot will make cutting nice pretty straight lines on objects that are backed by another object, sheepsfoot blades give you a ton of control for cuts where belly is not required.. The drop point is excellent and even more so if you want have a dull edge to slide against an object you don't want cut while cutting something else. This is a poor example but like a seat belt...cut the belt but not the person. If you want to be able to cut into a hole (thinking how to explain what I mean) or to penetrate a harder material to get a cut started the clip point might be best.

I would think that a sheepsfoot and drop point would do most tasks quite will from what you have posted.

5. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

I'm blanking at the moment. When you get into stainless and high rockwell, you are getting into big bucks with slips.

Great Eastern makes some wonderful folders. Some of them are stainless. 440C. Some have locking blades. Their knives are some of the best quality slipjoints you can buy at the moment in the $100 or less range. Very solid, great walk and talk, excellent fit and finish.

6. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

Thanks Hoodoo, I guess I don't really need the high rockwell rating, I would like decent edge retention though. I have never had a Damascus steel blade, I was wondering if anyone with experience knows how well it holds an edge #1, and #2 if it will rust like a mother in a moderately humid climate? say mid to high 70s and 80 to 100% humidity? I already had a Mora get a nice red oxide patina while being stored in a bail out bag/ duffel? Edit: I think I just answered my own question re: Damascus. Looking at Great Eastern knives they seem to use 440C and 1095, Should I stay away from the 1095 if I live in humidity/will be cutting food (thinking about the different oils and waxes needed to keep carbon steels from rusting)?

I'll check out Great Eastern. Cheers!

7. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

I should have read your post a little more closely. You included lockbacks. :) I don't personally own one but I've handled several Mokis and they ain't nothing but sweet! These are extremely well made folders and you'll get some nice VG10 stainless. A little pricey though...

These are so wll made, you can't see the joint between the tang and the backspring when they open. That is precision fit.

8. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

Schatt & Morgan has the File & Wire series of knives with ATS34 blades. I think they're quite nice and definitely in your price range. You can check out some of the models at Cumberland Knife Works.

9. flip

flip Empty Pockets

Check out Queen knives. I believe they use D2 steel in several models.

10. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

Here is another one you might be interested in.

Fallkniven

I've had some pretty bad luck with Queens. I will no longer buy one online. QC can be pretty bad, imo. I've sent back at least 4 to the factory for repair/replacement. I've heard the same story from others. Lots of others.

11. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Mike Alsdorf makes some beautiful slippies, at a resaonable price.
    Mike Alsdorf

12. Button

Button Empty Pockets

I have an older Boker stockman with carbon steel blades that has serviced me well. The carbon steel does stain and require a little oil to keep it from rusting. But is the knife is used often it is hard to beat a good carbon (tool) steel blade.

13. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Canal Street Cutlery? they use D2 and 440C in a bunch of their knives...
    I like the Schatt and Morgan knives too ats-34 is supposed to be a great steel as well, though they kinda go a little overboard with the S&M logos all over the blades and such :lolhammer: Kinda reminds me of a place I know called B & E Furniture ;D

Those Mike Alsdorf knives look amazing!!! but a little out of my price range right now, we'll see if this becomes a full blown obsession :shrug: :broke:
    Hoodoo I already have a Fallkniven U2, I have been considering the Tre Kronor series but I'd like to try something a little more slippe I think, I really do like the blade shape and fit and finish.

please keep the suggestions coming if you have any? I am leaning more towards the English Jack or Canoe or Trapper styles I think.

14. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

Re: Recommend me a traditional folder ! ~Found!

As an update, I've ordered and recieved 3 Slippies since the last post.
    [​IMG]
    a Hen & Rooster Red Jigged Bone Canoe, an old 1973 Case Sheepsfoot, and a Case G-10 Seahorse Whittler. I'll be EDCing the Seahorse as my weekend knife, I like it very much. As for the others, not sure. The Hen & Rooster is tiny, 2 3/4" closed, not sure what I was thinking when I ordered that one, I did win it on ebay in a last minute bid so...
    Thanks again for all the suggestions!

:thumbsup: Gears

15. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

I really like the Case Sodbuster.