1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a small torch

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by whyedc?, Jun 16, 2012.

1. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

Hey Guys and Gals,

I would like to get a small keychain size torch. I prefer a AAA, under three inches, twisty or clickie, at least two modes (prefer three), starts at low and low has to be under 10 lumens (preferably under 5) and have at least a 50 hour runtime on low and 2ish hours on high. Also would like to be able to use lithium primaries.

It will be a keychain light and also something to jog with at night if I have to wait that long. I already have a pair of Streamlight Scorpions, Surefire G2? tactical and a couple of multi-cell Maglights for other carry purposes.

I've been looking at the Maratac, iTP/Olight and Klarus lights. What has worked good for you guys?

Thanks.

2. NeverAnonymous
    • In Omnia Paratus

NeverAnonymous Loaded Pockets

I carry a fenix ld15. Its AA, but it has a high setting of 115 and a low of 8. Its a little pricey at $35 but its well worth it. If you don't mind mini button cells, the sreamlight nano ($10 shipped) or the life+gear mini ($2 at target) are both under an inch and 8 lumins. I Robt know much about AAA lights, as genraly in a theatre you want AA because those are what body mice run on. Hopefully I could help!

3. Mowgli25

Mowgli25 Loaded Pockets

Check out the maratac rev 2. 115 lumens

4. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

I would also be interested in AA size lights...same basic parameters, but of course they will be slightly longer. As an aside...I think that I might be interested in the Zebralight H502. I realize its a headlamp and all, but the range of power settings is pretty interesting. The Foursevens Mini AA is leading the race for AA size lights with Zebralight a very close second.

5. nitrofein

nitrofein Loaded Pockets

sungame likes this.
  6. Thechansen

Thechansen Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Zebralight. I have an H51, its amazingly bright uses a single AA battery. The design is great for standing up and pointing it in the direction you need, using it headlamp mode, or even carrying in hand. Took forever to ship when I ordered it but well worth the wait. Its replaced my Fenix lights, just as bright as my ld20 and while its larger than my e05, its not bad for pocket carry.

7. jmac30
    • In Omnia Paratus

jmac30 Loaded Pockets

like the zebra light but would say take a look at the preon p0

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

8. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Preon P0 is a flood light and cannot use Li batteries if that makes a difference - love mine but sometimes the throw isn't what I need.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Keep in mind that the H502 is a pure flood light. It has not hot spot and will not throw very much. If you want more of a beam, you might consider the Zebralight H51 - it has a reflector for focus and throw.
    Zebralight headlamps' unique form factor makes them very versatile - they pull double duty as either a flashlight or a headlamp, preforming both tasks just as well.

This would be high on my list of recommendations for a AA light!

If you get one, definitely pick up some CRAA 3.0V cells for it - you'll thank me later.
    (Note: These cells don't really affect output for the Zebralights, so don't bother.)

10. Mickey Holmes

Mickey Holmes Loaded Pockets

Maratac rev. 2 is good. The first version is 3 modes but is medium, low, high. I doesn't fit the UI you want but is still worth it

11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I second the Lumapower EDC LM21. It is a bit over three inches (94mm), but it has everything you ask for. Also, if the specs from the manufacturer are reliable, it covers everything from really dim to just about insanely bright.

If you want something smaller, I would recommend the Fenix E-01. It has only one mode (about 13 lumens, I believe), but it is the smallest AAA light I've found that combines decent quality with a decent price.

12. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

The Thrunite Ti meets your specs. You can get it in a .04/60 or 3/60 lumens configuration. It has two modes and an advantage in that you don't have to turn it off and on to cycle them. You just twist for low and a little farther for high. Low can be quickly bypassed if you want hi first. The knurling is great and it has a generous centered lug for keychain carry. Also uses the XP-E which is a smaller than the XP-G so it throws a little better. It is shockingly well built for the money.

EDIT: If you want to spend a few bucks IMO the best AAA is the Peak Eiger hands down.

13. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

I have been looking at the Peak Eiger with QTC and possibly the tail clicky. It would work great as a pocket light (and probably a future purchase) but want to focus on the keychain light for now.

Does anyone have extended use of the iTP or the Klarus lights? I like the Foursevens Preon P0 (but I might want a little more throw) and the any of the Minis. I don't mind the twisty as these won't be for tactical use.

14. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

I do like the looks of the Thrunite Ti in the 3/60 configuration as I'm rarely in a dark enough situation for "moonlight". @jsmitty1967, do you have any experience with the Thrunite Ti?

15. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

@jag-engr - How little throw are we talking about on the ZL 502? Are we talking a couple of yards or feet?

16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'm not really sure how to explain. Zebralight floodlights illuminute a sort of half-sphere around the user. They would easily work for around a camp or for night-hiking. I would think it would be sufficient for jogging, but others may disagree.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  17. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

That's about what I would be using the light for. As long as it has a 15-20 foot range or so it should work. Thanks. If not there are other Zebralights that would work for more throw.

18. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

What kinda of beam range does the Preon P0 have? Only really need 15-25 feet for the keychain. Getting myself off track with the Zebralight stuff.

19. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have been using the Klarus for long time now. It is a great light and hangs better than the Maratac. I like the Maratac light but it hangs at an awkward angle on my keys. Drove me crazy. I love the H502 also but if you aren’t looking for a flood, I would stay away. For me, I have to light up the trail for three kids and it works awesome. 40 feet or so and as wide as my peripheral vision.

[​IMG]
    mumbo dumpo _6_9_12 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Last edited by Mumbojumboo, Jun 25, 2012
  20. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

You are exactly right sir. ;)