1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a rescue(ish) EDC folder, that can take a beating

Discussion in 'Knives' started by toemke, Jan 19, 2012.

1. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

I'm on the lookout for a quality EDC folder. Since I'm a firefighter, I'd feel comfortable if it at least had a window punch (strap cutter isn't totally essential, I think the main blade would suffice). I'd mostly carry it for off-duty EDC, but also as a personal blade in really tough environments like international search & rescue missions after natural disasters.
    Right now I'm interested in either the Benchmade 915 triage or the DPx folding HEST. I absolutely adore the design and style of the HEST, but from what I've read, the opinions are pretty mixed. I've only read great things on the triage and the cutting hook is a nice plus, but I'm not totally sold on the sheepfoot blade design.
    Of course I'm open to other recommendations.

2. sotto2

sotto2 Loaded Pockets

I've handled a few BM 915 Triages, and they are a fine fine piece of work.

3. simmerdownjack

simmerdownjack Loaded Pockets

Zero Tolerance maybe?

4. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Benchmade Triage or Sypderco Assist

5. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

I know, that the spyderco assist is a great rescue knife, but it's kinda missing my point: I want a knife with a blade for every day use, not dedicated for rescue work, I already have gear for that. This would be my primary EDC blade for mostly for daily urban use, but with good chances of getting in the tough environments of major disasters.

6. Missed

Missed Loaded Pockets

Right now I'm carrying the buck/ tops combat search and rescue. So far it's been a great knife

7. b.licious

b.licious Loaded Pockets

8. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Rick Hinderer XM-18 designed by a firefighter. Plus as far as I know he only sells direct to firefighters/Military and so on.

9. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty sure he won't be spending $500 on a knife just to beat the hell out of it, at least I wouldn't.

10. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

The Benchmade 275 Adamas made from D2 tool steel which is what the HEST is made from. Nice beefy blade that you can If your looking for a rescue hook, benchmade has a nice selection of hooks available, but the Z-Rex by leatherman is looks like a winner with the carbide glass breaker and interchangable blade design, they showed it off at SHOT this year.

As far as Hinderer's go, they are meant to be used and abused by military, LEO and FF personnel, which is why they Rick uses premium materials. If you ask any owner, well worth the money.

11. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Wow, thanks for all the input!
    The buck CSAR seems nice, but compared to the rest really heavy.
    The kershaw isn't the prettiest in my eyes, but catches the concept bang on and is wallet friendly compared to the rest. Really considering it.
    The hinderer xm-18. Wow. Has been on top of my wishlist with the sebenza and sng for a while, but with these prices it's never gonna happen. I can't see myself using a 300+ knife like a real tool, it'd be like driving a ferrari with 30mph all the time.
    The 275 Adamas looks great, but if I'm getting a benchmade, it's gonna be a 915 triage.
    I probably should have posted my budget with my first post, that would have made matters easier. My absolute maximum is about 200$.

12. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

As an aside enquiry - are you as a firefighter allowed to carry a knife with a blade longer than 80 mm? On duty / off duty?
    Have you considered the Kershaw Groove?

13. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes Loaded Pockets

as another firefighter giving his opinion, i would go with the triage. i saw a video about a new version they are coming out with for 2012. its the same thing, except the front portion of the blade is chopped off so it can be used as a pry/wedge tool as well. its pretty neat.

14. Windex

Windex Loaded Pockets

EXACTLY what I came in here to post.

15. Windex

Windex Loaded Pockets

That is the BM 916, its already available. I also do not believe BM endorses much, if any, prying with their knives. I think its to minimize the risk of cutting the "victim" during a rescue situation more so than the sheeps foot blade.

16. Vesp
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vesp Loaded Pockets

I got my HEST 2.0 about a month ago, and I have nothing bad to say about it. It has become one of my favorite EDC knifes. Feels well built and the wave/bottle opener works really good. I like it, but have seen some mixed reviews.. I Liked the design of the knife so good, that i pulled the trigger and bougt one. And I have no regrets. :)

17. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

This might fit the bill nicely. Its a Gerber Hinderer CLS. You can pick it up new on Amazon for like $50. I've had it for a couples years and its still very sharp. Has a glass punch at the end of the handle, flipout seatbelt cutter, and on the backside, there's a cutout so it can be used as an oxygen tank wrench (no idea about that, never used one).
    Here's mine
    [​IMG]
    This shows you the options a bit more. That seatbelt cutter locks all the way back, its just not locked in the picture.
    [​IMG]

18. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Spyderco assist with black scales & black blade. Has round tip so if you need to cut a seat belt you can do so without cutting the victim. Has a whistle(not a necessity & doesn't effect the size or overall use at all). The glass breaker in the handle is hidden until you squeeze the blade into the handle scale(replaceable as well).

Great rescue knife.

19. r1200gs

r1200gs Empty Pockets

20. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

The gerber hinderer is interesting, since it's designed by Rick Hinderer, but it's totally ruined by the fact, that gerber is making it. Still might get one as a spare, because of the good price.

Well yes, pretty obvious. That's why it's already my on duty knife :laugh:

I have no knowledge of such an exception, but I don't see that it would be a problem. On duty nobody is gonna check the length of my blade, and off duty we are on great terms with the police. I flash my badge and the next question is "And how's your day so far?". :-X Of course there can be some exceptions, like when were protesting the government...

Yes, I'm considering the 916 triage. The prytip is intriguing, but kinda ruins the concept of an EDC blade, that could be used for piercing.

Pretty weird, but after seeing all these great recommendations, my mind is still set on the triage and HEST. Maybe subconsciously I was never even considering any other knives... :-[