1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

recommend me a pda........

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by jdoc, Nov 9, 2009.

1. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

When the Pre was announced I assumed that would be my next PDA. However, as I've learned more about it, and gotten to use one that belongs to a co-worker, my interest has steadily declined. Which makes me sad after all these years as a Palm advocate.

Here are the main things that bug me about the Pre:
    1) No "native" sync mechanism. Using iTunes as a sync mechanism is ridiculous on so many levels I don't know where to start. And I know there are third-party options, but Palm's failure to provide an adequate sync offends me well below the level of rationality.
    2) Very few third-party apps. This may change over time, but Palm has been slow to release development tools. They are still not providing the low-level access that many types of application require. And unless sales pick up the WebOS will remain a niche market for developers.
    3) No memory card slot.
    4) Too little internal memory.

I like the UI. I am impressed with the multi-tasking capabilities. I love the ability to run some Palm OS apps via the emulator. But I like Android too and I much prefer the physical design of some of the Android phones.

Ultimately I worry that Web OS and the Pre are too little, too late. It has a lot of good points, but I don't see any of them as game-changers. Without a signficant market share it is unlikely to attract the level of third-party development that made the original Palm such a runaway hit. I woud love to be proven wrong, but I'm not going to change carriers, or spend $600 on a jailbroken Pre, without some proof.

--Bob Q

2. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the Nokia N810; I traded in my Palm TX for one in July, and absolutely love it.

The web browsing is fantastic - Mozilla Fennec, aka TinyFox, based on Mozilla Firefox, coupled with an amazing 800X480 screen is an unbeatable combination - except by the Motorola Droid. Good enough, in fact that I rarely pick up a laptop, even when it is right next to me.

Multitasking is also very good, I often have three or more applications open - the web browser, an ebook reader, streaming Last.fm, checking the calendar, taking notes, etc.

Surprisingly the wifi access is very easy on the battery; the system defaults to leaving it on all of the time, and I haven't noticed much difference in battery life vs. turning it off.

The software doesn't have the billions of options that you will find with some of the other devices, but it is all good quality, very feature rich, and covers all of my needs. YMMV

I was able to find a new unit on ebay for about $200.

I'm not a smart phone fan either, but I'll admit I'd take a good look at the Motorola Droid, if only because of the high resolution screen, and what seems to be a very active developer community.

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I was a loyal Palm fan. But, I have since moved on to BlackBerry. I can not tell you how much I LOVE my BB.

4. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Though I understand the argument behind the no iPhone thing, having been there myself, once I tried one I was completely won over.

However, if you don't want an iPhone data package, there is no doubt what the second choice would be--the iPod Touch. It does everything the iPhone does, except the phone and without the data package. Having owned many Palms/Handspring/Windows devices I can tell you from experience that the iPod Touch interface is just better. Plus all of the apps available are amazing.

5. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

Stand-alone PDAs are still available. You can get some of the higher end models at LOW prices if You don't mind going with a reconditioned model. I am of the mindset that I don't want my phone and my PDA tied to one battery. Still it is inevitable that the PDA will go the way of the dinosaur so I am looking into a blackberry type device myself.

On the iPod touch, does it have calander and memo type funtions? I have never handled one and it kinda sounds promising to me.

6. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

with the ipod touch and the archos 5 internet tablet, one could say that media players have become the new PDA ;)

would love to know if HP considers doing a new non-phone ipaq tho...

7. BCountryTrekker

BCountryTrekker Loaded Pockets

:iagree: with Rawls.

These devices ar VERY user specific. Your results will vary.

Having your phone and PDA as separate devices has always been important to me. I have used Palms, Pocket PCs, and now a netbook. The stand alone PDA is increasingly becoming a difficult product to find.

There used to be many more options. My last iPaq cannot upgrade to view many websites. Those that I can access are geared for smartphones running newer versions of WindowsCE. That is why I am using a netbook. It was a inexpensive way to a laptop but a huge PDA. More and more is done through a browser these days.

Palm was the dominant player, then WindowsCE. Now it seems that Blackberries and iPhones are the norm and anything else is becoming obsolete with one possible exception: media players.

I have not looked at them very carefully but they may be your (and my answer). After not buying an iPod as many advised me, I have two different MP3 players in the drawer. As anyone with an iPod will tell you (me, too), it is just better. Apple makes awesome products but you will pay more for them. Be sure to check out the iTouch. Apple has always been backwardly compatible with only one exception (OS 9 to OS X). When my iPod dies, an iTouch will make lots of room in my bag for more EDC items. Sure wiish it had a slide out keyboard. If it did, I might have one already.

Just reread Rawls post. He said it better and shorter.

8. m_calingo

m_calingo Empty Pockets

I'm still using Palm technology. If I were deciding from scratch today, I'd still consider a Palm, or the iTouch. I'm also of the camp that wants to keep the phone and PDA separate.

Regardless of which I were to choose, the ability to synch data with my home computer, or back up the data online is absolutely paramount. This way the potential loss of the PDA is limited to just the device, and not the data contained within.

9. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

well there are some "issues" there, palm pre seems to have a problem with replacement devices that has earlier firmware then what was used to make the latest online backups.

and then there is the "oh crap" data loss that danger had (their hiptop phones are sold by t-mobile under the sidekick brand).

10. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

Hp does make a non-phone iPaq in two different models. Of course, they are not Palm based. Windows only. :mad:

11. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

i hate to say it, but old palm os is probably dead, expect emulated on other platforms (maemo, webos).

12. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

I have the G1 and I love it. There are boat loads of free apps and a bunch more paid apps. The Android system is good and getting better. That nuviphone built off of Android by Garmmin looks great. I hope they make an app.

13. sanddragger28

sanddragger28 Empty Pockets

Either get a Blackberry or Iphone both are great but Sprints plan will be cheaper then ATT.

14. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

I going to say android. It's becoming more popular then windows CE for small devices. Everything from phones to internet tables already run android. It's open source OS will no doubt grow like a kid on milk. If I recall correctly there are now 20,000 apps. That's almost 18,000 more then a year ago and the OS just went main stream. And to top it off 60% are free. Check out the other thread I started titled augumented reality.

15. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

just note that google is not approving the apps for their services on anything other then phones so far. So it may run android, but no official google apps, including marketplace (not the biggest of problems, as the free stuff can often be downloaded in other ways, no jailbreak needed).

16. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

well, I am on my 3rd gen BlackBerry...( or crackberry to the addicted) but the more I see/hear/play with other people's I-phones...I may be ready to switch - assuming I can make my pc files work ok on it -

of course, if I'd just give in and join the mac world like my computer programming brother in law would like me to....it wouldn't be an issue at all! :p

17. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

jdoc,

+1 on the ipod touch.

I bought one for my wife and I am, I mean she is loving it. The apps do make it cool. I may need one for my birthday! Or Groundhog Day.

18. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

Get a Pre. i'm very happy with mine.

19. JusticeKN

JusticeKN Loaded Pockets

Droid ROCKS!

20. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

After fifteen years of carrying various Palms I have finally switched to Android. I've had my Motorola Droid for a week now and I can't imagine how I was getting by without it.

The range of applications for Android is still a bit immature, particularly compared to Palm, but it is exploding.

--Bob Q