1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a new pocket knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by sol92258, Jan 21, 2016.

1. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

Hello, I'd like to brain-farm from you more experienced folks here some ideas for my next pocket knife.
    My needs are fairly simple, basic EDC pocket folder with a clip.

A little background on me - my current rotation includes my second Buck NXT 281 (broke the tip on the first one, finally tracked down a second one. First one sets in my desk drawer at work).
    I really like it, small, straight edge, nothing fancy, gets the job done.
    For Christmas this year, my wife surprised me with a nifty Smith & Wesson "Extreme Ops" tin with two nice looking knives, that I really want to love (since they are a gift from my wife, of course). But I simply can't get a good edge on them (well, the straight edge one, haven't really messed with the serrated one yet). They both come out of the box seemingly half-sharpened - feel a really proud burr on them, then they forgot to sharpen the other side or something.
    I'm no great sharpener, but can get a blade to "utilitarian" sharp usually. Not gonna slice a tomato fine or anything, but rope, string, cardboard, zip ties, etc.

Anyway, one feature I really like on the S&W knives is the clip, it sets the knife flush with the pocket, instead of sticking up a bit.
    So, I've done some looking around, but wondered what some of you may point me towards, in terms of experience.

I prefer straight edge, and my budget prefers nothing too expensive, but not going to let those be limiting factors.
    I do have quite a few knives, mostly cheapies that I leave in various places (such as the $4 Ozark Trails knives that have been out since this past holiday season - pretty decent knives for the price, and there's already a couple of threads about them here - might go pick up a few more this afternoon).

I'm partial to Buck, like some of what I've seen in Gerbers and Kershaws, and definitely lean toward made in USA.
    But open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

FL Woods Bum and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. camporama

camporama Loaded Pockets

Sounds like spyderco dragonfly or delica would work. They are made in Japan, but they don't come with stock deep carry clips. You could go on the evil bay and find a few ti ones. Both can be serrated.

Another option is the Spyderco tenacious. Made in China.

Hope this helps!

3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Check out the Buck Vantage Select. It comes in 2 sizes - large (3 1/4" blade) and small (2 5/8" blade) and has a deep carry clip that you would like. I have the small and it is one of 2 knives that I have exclusively EDC'd over the past couple of years. Price runs around $27. The Vantage series also offers premium steel (S30V) and serrated blades, but I have been perfectly happy with the plain edge, 420HC Select.

sol92258 and FL Woods Bum like this.
  4. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Why not stick with Buck? If you like Made in the USA and you like the Buck NXT 281 for it's size.. Check out the Buck Vantage Small (or large). Same steel as your NXT 281 and similar size if you stick with the Vantage Small.. Pocket clip is flush with the knife, so it sits nicely in the pocket.. The price of both is on par with the Buck NXT you already own.. They do make a nicer version of the same knife with S30V instead of 420HC which is about double the price and harder to find..

Buck Vantage Small
    [​IMG]

Buck Vantage Pro Large (Top) and Buck Vantage Small (Bottom)
    [​IMG]

Buck Vantage Small in the pocket
    [​IMG]

5. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Great minds!

6. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Lol. Seriously, the Vantage is such a good EDC knife, especially for the price. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often.

7. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

Keep seeing a lot of posts and pics of Spyderco's, hadn't really seen anything that tickled my fancy, but the Tenacious has potential. It's a contender. Thanks!

johnny five likes this.
  8. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

Hmmm, I've been all over Buck's website the past few days and somehow hadn't noticed that one - or did, and it didn't draw my attention. Definitely a contender.

I'm not quite up to snuff on all the different kinds of steels and such (need to do some more research), but I've not had any issues with the NXT's steel, other than my first one breaking the tip doing something it wasn't designed to do, so I can't fault it for that.

johnny five likes this.
  9. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Both your NXT and the Buck Vantage use Buck's 420HC steel which has served them well for years. You should have no issues if you decide on a Buck knife using this steel.

johnny five likes this.
  10. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

Depending on desired size, get an Ontario Rat-1 or Rat-2. Best bang for the buck knives available.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

QuodErat likes this.
  11. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Small, straight edge, nothing fancy, gets the job done.

That was my criteria when going for a lightweight folder to carry on fast walks. Ended picking up a Leatherman c33 on a bargain, just out of curiosity.

I really do like it. Definitely nothing fancy, but was more than I expected for the money.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Andromitto

Andromitto Loaded Pockets

There are many many options that might meet your needs. The first thing I would look at is steel quality. Personally, I prefer a knife with superior edge retention, that usually means more lengthy sharpening sessions. Your budget would be a huge deciding factor. On the higher end, benchmade makes two very nice entry level models, the 530, slim and light and small. The griptillian is also decent for about he same money with a slightly beefier design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuodErat likes this.
  13. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm surprised no one else suggested this, but it sounds you would benefit more from a Spyderco sharpmaker than another knife at this point.

Practice till you can get a good edge on the knives you already got and start saving in the meanwhile. Then once you get sick of how fast they dull you got some starting capital to get something really nice with some proper steel.

If you get something like S30V now I think you'll have a hard time getting the edge back when it does go, just my 2 (€) cents.

JPHing, QuodErat and Adahn like this.
  14. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

I looked at that sharpener, and several others, before I ultimately decided on the Work Sharp guided sharpener. I had the Spyderco in my Amazon cart, and decided to do some more research. Also got their field sharpener to keep in my bag. I've already gotten most of my cheapies sharper than they've ever been, once I feel a bit more confident I'll start on the kitchen knives.
    I don't know if it's just a bad batch, poor tempering, or what, or still me, but I can't get this thing to keep a good edge, although I did spend my lunch break yesterday and got it to a useful state.

Great suggestion, I really appreciate it!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

QuodErat and Adahn like this.
  15. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

Just as an update, the first (of several) that I have decided to purchase is the Sypderco Tenacious. Didn't have to deep pocket clip, but thought I'd branch out some before getting my next Buck (probably Vantage). Also have the Ontario Rat in my wishlist for later, and a couple of CRKT's.

Just discovered, literally 5 minutes ago, one of my co-workers has that knife. Pretty nice, it might make the list.

Thanks y'all!

camporama likes this.
  16. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Ontario Rat 1 or 2. Great bang for the buck.
    Boker Trance. Still one of my favorites.
    Spyderco Byrd line. Several to choose from depending on what size blade you want.
    CRKT M16 lineup.

this_is_nascar and Adahn like this.
  17. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

The Tenacious is a great knife. I also like the Benchmade Vex (discontinued) for a solid choice in a budget folder.

If you are still looking, Kershaw brought out some very nice budget folders recently. Take a look at the Westin, Showtime, Pico, Rove, Intellect, Entropy, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised. They have a few with deep clips, reasonable prices and made in the USA.

Adahn likes this.
  18. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I so regret selling (I think on this forum, if I recall) my Vex. That was like....the perfect $30 folder. The Tenacious and also the Persistence are good choices if OP is interested in those designs. Just gotta be careful with the Tenacious and Persistence torx screws. On my Persistence they were in there good and tight. I had to send mine to someone at Spyderco and she e-mailed me and was like "I....I can't get them out either. I'll just send you a new knife. We're sorry."

adnj likes this.
  19. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I really like the designs of the knives you mentioned. I just don't get it why they have to make all their new knives with assisted opening.
    A Chill or Skyline never needed a spring inside and my Cryo and Leek were great disappointments esp. due to the A/O...
    Instead of the Intelect I'd maybe get a RealSteel E571 with hollowed steel liners.

20. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

Most of my knives (that aren't fixed blades) tend to be on the budget side. I have some that have been mentioned already (Spyderco Tenacious and Rat 1) and there are some others that may not have been mentioned. The Kabar dozier folding hunter is a very nice knife for the money. It's usually around $20 and you can get it in several colors. It doesn't have a super low profile pocket clip but it's not horrible. Another Ontario model that I like is the Utilitac 2. It is usually under $30 and you can get it in a couple of different versions (I think there is a tanto and a slight recurve). The one I have has the slight recurve but should be serviceable with your Work Sharp. Again, a pretty decent pocket clip but not super low profile. I also have a Kershaw Cryo II. That one should be in the $30-$35 range, depending on which version you get. I think they make a blackwash version but I have the standard grey model. It has smooth handle scales which may or may not be to your liking. It also has the lowest profile pocket clip of any of the knives I own. I know a lot of people love the "speed safe" and a lot of people do not. I have had no trouble with mine so far but I can see where it could be something that could break at some point. There is a smaller version simply called "Cryo" and it has several versions as well. They should also be in the $30-$35 range give or take, depending on which model.

All of these knives should have some decent steel for the money. Most will be AUS-8 (Kabar dozier and Utilitac 2) and a lot of the lower end Kershaws use 8cr13mov, like the Tenacious uses as well. It's a decent steel for the money and both AUS-8 and 8cr13mov will take a nice edge. However, they won't keep it for a great while after use so you may need to strop or sharpen fairly often if you use the knives hard. I don't know much about the Smith and Wesson knives. I would say that they would not have any better steel than what's in the models I've mentioned......and possibly worse. Just be careful with the Work Sharp. I understand that it's pretty easy to round the tips a bit with those (and that's also the case with the Spyderco Sharpmaker as well). There are tons and tons of options as far as knives go. It just depends on your budget, where you want the knives to be made (all of my suggestions are Taiwan or China), what styles you like, what steels, what type of lock (lock back, liner lock, framelock, etc.), and pocket clip. You've gotten some good suggestions so far and you're likely to get a lot more. I just wanted to throw in a couple that hadn't been mentioned much so far. Good luck with your choices and let us know which knives you end up with. Take care!

sol92258 likes this.