1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a new nightstand light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Jp85, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Jp85
    • In Omnia Paratus

Jp85 Loaded Pockets

Hello all, having a bit of a hard time finding a good nightstand light. I was looking at the olight s30R with the rechargeable dock and/or to simply get another Fenix PD35. I would like to put this thread up before i purchased it in hopes that someone could recommend something better or simply to help me narrow down my search. Thank you in advance.

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
    This light will be mainly used as a nightstand flash light in the event the lights go out or there is a break in and i need to find my way to my safe and other home-like scenarios.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    [ X ] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
    [ ] I am in _______(country) and __________(state/providence).

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :broke:
    [ ] $1-15
    [ ] $15-30
    [ ] $40-60
    [ ] $80-$120
    [ X ] I have no limit!

4) Format:
    PART A
    [ X ] I want a flashlight.
    [ ] I want a headlamp.
    [ ] I want a lantern.
    [ ] I want a portable spotlight.

PART B
    Length:
    [ ] 1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
    [ ] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
    [ ] 4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

PART C
    Width:
    [ ] I prefer a long narrow light.
    [ ] I prefer a short wide light.
    [ X ] Doesn't matter.

PART D
    Weight:
    Lights of a similar size can be very different in weight and may turn the perfect sized light into a paper weight. In general a lights of the same size will stack up like this; plastic and aluminum will be your lighter choices brass, stainless steel, bronze will be heavier. I won't put numbers here because everyone has a different weight sensitivity. For the purposes of EDC specifically I'll limit the choices here to the more easily carried sizes pick 2 sizes to represent a range of weight.
    [ ] Very light, can't tell it's there.
    [ ] Light, no heavier than a few keys or a small car remote.
    [ ] Medium light, about the weight of a AAA MiniMag
    [ ] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag
    [ ] Heavy Medium, can of Coke
    [ ] Heavy, PDA or small digital camera
    [ X ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [ X ] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less accurate color rendition, in general less output but more efficient (longer runtimes)
    [ ] Incandescent - can be very bright, more accurate color rendition, burn out or can be damaged more easily, shorter runtimes, very noticeable dimming as batteries deplete
    [ ] HID - like new car headlights in color, very, very bright, can be had in lights as small as a Mag 2 D cell but generally larger spotlight sized lights, no dimming turns off when battery depletes
    [ ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

6) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.
    [ ] I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
    [ ] I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
    [ X ] I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
    [ ] I want to read a map, find a light switch/keyhole, or get around the house at w/o disturbing anyone. (5-10 lumens)
    [ ] I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
    [ ] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
    [ ] I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
    [ X ] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries. Understand that runtime is a function of brightness and capacity of your batteries. If you want 6 hours you'll either have big batteries or dimmer light, they haven't made a setup yet that lights up like the sun, runs all night, and fits in your watch pocket. ;)
    [ ] 20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
    [ ] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
    [ ] 240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
    [ ] 360+ min. (More than 6 hours)
    [ ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
    [ ] Not Important (A “night-stand” light.)
    [ ] Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
    [ ] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
    [ X ] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type:
    [ ] I don't care.
    [ ] sliding switch (Stays on until slid back.)
    [ X ] clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
    [ ] momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)
    [ ] rotating switch

12) Switch Location:
    [ X ] I don't care.
    [ ] I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
    [ ] I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
    [ ] I want a rotating head switch.
    [ ] I want a rotating end-cap switch.
    [ ] I want a remote control.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [ ] A simple on-off is fine for me.
    [ ] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
    [ ] I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
    [ ] I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
    [ ] I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)
    [ ] I want S.O.S. flashing
    [ X ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; think caving or lights that get dropped or abused.
    [ X ] I don't care.
    [ ] I want a metal-bodied light.
    [ ] I want a plastic/composite light.

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
    [ ] Red (night vision preserving) filter
    [ ] Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
    [ ] Waterproof – how deep: _____________
    [ ] Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
    [ ] Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
    [ ] Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
    [ ] “Hybrid” light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
    [ ] Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
    [ ] Belt/Jacket clip
    [ ] Holster
    [ ] Wrist/Neck Lanyard
    [ ] Kuboton/self defense features
    [ ] Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

2. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I recommend a Thrunite TN4A (4xAA batteries) with Eneloop rechargeable batteries. It is extremely versatile, and makes an excellent house/nightstand, etc., utility flashlight.

3. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

Zebralight SC5

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

A 2-CR123, 500-lumen Surefire is what is on my nightstand so that is what I recommend. It is a Model P2ZX. I carried it for a few years before the 600-lumen, 1-18650 Model P1R took its place.

5. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 or if you want more battery options and don't mind a larger light the Hound Dog with an MD4 body.I prefer the neutral model but cool white is also available.

Rob Babcock likes this.
  6. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Indoor only? Outdoor as well ? If outdoor, how far are the fence lines ? Is it a defense tool as well or just to find the fridge/take the trash out if you forgot ?

7. Jp85
    • In Omnia Paratus

Jp85 Loaded Pockets

Thank you all for your recommendations. This flashlight would be mainly to get me from my bedroom down to the first floor in the event of a power outage or a break in. It will not be carried everyday nor will it be used for defense. I currently am using my fenix pd35 from my get home bag but ibwould like to have a designated nightstand flashlight.

Again thank you all

8. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Any 2xAA with 50-100lm seems more than reasonable for that..
    But snag an orlight s10r or s30r? Depending on how big a light you want ? Own charging base station so whenever you reach for it you're good to go.

9. Jp85
    • In Omnia Paratus

Jp85 Loaded Pockets

ok, i am leaning towards the s30R.

Anyone has any pictures of theirs and/or suggestions as to where to get it from?

10. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

If your concern is power outage, I HIGHLY recommend an automatic power failure flashlight. The type that sits in a cradle plugged into an outlet and will turn on when the power goes off.

I have one on both levels of the house,. 1 near the bedroom doors and one by the exit door. In the event of an emergency it can be grabbed on the way out, and/or help find your way in smoke.

Most (like the one I have) can be used as a nightlight too if needed. Also helpful for the emergency exit I mentioned above.

They can be had for $5-10 each.

Jp85 likes this.
  11. Jp85
    • In Omnia Paratus

Jp85 Loaded Pockets

Djs105 - I do have the energizer power failure light in the kitchen. I also have a "night light" in the stairs for when the lights are off or power goes out. I was more so looking for a flashlight with a bit more punch and recharge ability to keep on my nightstand at all times. Most of my gear is not in my bedroom so in the event that i need to get to it i want to have a light capable enough to do the job without failing.

Djs105 likes this.
  12. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Nitecore MH20. Substantial enough to grab in dark. It stays standing stable upright on nightstand when you're grabbing for a glass of water. Micro USB rechargeable. 1000lm. Single large button operation. Low mode for not awaking the kraken while nighttime reading.

tbzbbt

13. dustyraines

dustyraines Loaded Pockets

Maglite MagCharger LED