1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a lower priced EDC flashlight !

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dimeotane, Dec 22, 2015.

1. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Whats a recommended AA or AAA battery light that's lower priced than the Fenix E01? I hear good things about that light but is there anything recommended that's about half that in price? I prefer something with a reliably longer burntime as well. What do you guys recommend? Here's some I was just browsing. Suggestions?

Maglight AAA solitaire around $10 seems light a nice value but 37 lumen for 1.5hr seems like mediocre performance.
    Maglight 2 AAA mini 87 lumen for 5 hr seems better.
    The 2AA runs at 97 lumen for 11 hrs.
    Coast G25 is rated at 83 lumen 9h45min

theirishboxer likes this.
  2. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I am a big fan of my thrunite ti3 NW. takes 1 AAA - 15 euros

Firefly (0.04 Lm 115 hrs); Low (12 Lm 6.3 hrs); High (120 Lm 0.5 hrs)

I guess the one-mode lights you mentioned will run for the time you posted, but probably not at full power/max brightness all the way. usually the output drops and for the last hours you'll have a very dim light.

you can buy cheaper, but from my experience, you will buy at least twice.

Last edited by flux, Dec 22, 2015
    theirishboxer and polonium9 like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Are you serious?
    You want something 1/2 the cost of a $10 light?
    The E01 is bright enough for many tasks especially if it is dark and has what I consider amazing run time for a single AAA battery too.
    I don't know of another light 1/2 the price that is even 1/2 as nice and I am OK with that too.
    The Tube is OK and amazing too for what it is and again good luck finding anything 1/2 its price that can compete on any level with it at all.
    I have shopped a lot for cheap lights and they are just not worth the money to me at all,$10 is about the entry level for quality in my experience but I am all ears too if anyone has decent suggestions.

4. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Wow, I did not know the Fenix E01 sold for for $10! I've seen it for twice that price. Where did you get it for $10?

theirishboxer and ManVsLawn like this.
  5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

The E01 is only between $10-15 most places. Most lights that are better are more money. The build quality on the E series Fenix lights is awesome. They are just about indestructible, I doubt you'd find a cheaper light that can match their runtime or durability (including waterproof). Brightness, yeah there's many that are better, but if all you need is a little light to carry all the time and use for up close work, go with the E01. There are many similar lights to the E01, but most are the same price or more expensive. Really, if you're going to choose a potentially life saving tool, it's always better to pony up the cash for the better tool than to settle for something less. Especially when that tool is only $15.

Be advised that many cheaper lights are what is called direct drive and will lose their brightness overtime. So while the light might stay on for a long time, it won't keep its initial brightness the whole time. Before buying I highly recommend looking at video reviews on YouTube, especially ones that show the flashlight's beam pattern and tint.

6. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Nitecore tube. Around £8 but it's a rechargeable flashlight so no batteries.

7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much what they said. If you're paying more than $15 for a Fenix E01, you're paying too much.

The Maglite offerings are nice, but they're direct drive - or more commonly referred to as "unregulated", which means you get a diminishing return on the battery; it gets dimmer the longer it runs.

The E01 is regulated, which means it'll keep a constant output for, what, 11 hours? And then another 10 hours at moonlight outputs.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

We can't spot deals here but if you are in the U.S. they are everywhere for that price,really.

9. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Thor fire 2aaa. The new version. Found on the shopping site named after a river in the Amazon . (Hinthint) less than 20 bucks, amazing output and runtime, and a real "low" as the first level! Immensely useful.

10. Italico

Italico Loaded Pockets

Olight S15R "Battery Type: 14500, AA"...for $22.99 hard beat. on gearbest

11. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I think the Fenix e05 is a much better choice than the e01 because of the multiple power levels and not that much more expensive. I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a decent light for much under US$20. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Skip a couple of latte's and you'll be fine.;)

theirishboxer, Water-Rat and steeps like this.
  12. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

My E05 is a single level light. Has it changed along the way?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It is a triple level light now.

14. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Check out Fenix's web store, a good price, and free shipping.

15. HeadedToTexas

HeadedToTexas Loaded Pockets

My E05 started out triple level, but became single level as the battery aged. Took me a while to realize it regulates its own power and changes output based on availability. Smart. Especially for $20.

16. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Banggood has Olight S15Rs (comes with battery and charge base) and a discount code, M4DS15R comes in at $23

17. scski44

scski44 Loaded Pockets

Streamlight stylus pro ~ $20
    I know it's out of your price range, though it is a great investment that will last.

18. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

save more money. really cheap lights are crap but you can get a good light for 20$

the thrunite ones are great for the price. i gave someone one for $8 on amazon. i can not attest to the quality of these myself. In the past i have only had some basic cheap gas station lights and then different versions of the Maratac AAA's.

I just bought the Maratac Ti AAA but it was $60 shipped on preproduction run and now its gone up to $70 shipped.

19. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I'm hardly the Fenix expert but when I first looked at the e05, the 2015 model was one level while the 2014 model was three levels. Now I think the "current" model is three levels.

20. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

They got it switched - the earlier model is a single mode. The newest model is three modes.

ManVsLawn likes this.