1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by kiko2704, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Matt has claimed his cells are the exception to the rule. David makes the same claims with his 4Sevens brand CR123 cells. But in all honesty, I'm not taking a chance. I've been using Surefire, Streamlight, and Duracell brand CR123s in my multi-cell lights. Not a single issue from those Made in America brands.

2. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

Although I would prefer to use Surefire batteries, I have had good results with my Titanium brand CR123s that I have used.

3. pwatcher

pwatcher Empty Pockets

Battery Station CR123's can be had for under $1.25 each if you look around, and are made in U.S. I've had totally fine experience with them - just as good IMO as SF. Re lights, I agree you should check out HDS/Ra lights, but have you looked at peakledsolutions.com? they are made here in Phoenix, very robust, tremendous number of choices of metal and battery size. Often the heads can be used interchangeably in different tubes, for flexibility. And I think their prices are pretty good even if you buy new.

4. kiko2704

kiko2704 Empty Pockets

Hi again
    Thank you for your recommendations.
    Well I'm not going to get a CR123A flashlight because they are very hard to find and very expensive here in Bulgaria. That's why I want a AA flashlight.
    Also very high output is not the primary issue.For very high output I'll get a 2AA flashlight. Reliability and high quality is what I am looking for. Because of this I wanted a Surefire.
    Actually I want a flashlight I can use for self defence - to give me a moment to react. However I am not going to rely only on a flashlight.
    So are Quarks reliable and quality flashlights? Can I 'lego' with AA parts? Am I going to get 100 lumens from 1aa and 200 lumens from 2AA from the same head? And which is better for blinding Neutral white or the standart LED the Quarks have?
    Thank you.

5. DasRoot

DasRoot Empty Pockets

Hi Kiko,

To answer your questions:
    Q: So are Quarks reliable and quality flashlights?
    A: In short, yes. They are one of the more highly spoken of brands and many people I know have had success with them. They are probably about the best dollar/value you can get right now.

Q: Can I 'lego' with AA parts?
    A: Yes, the imput voltage for the head is ok for the following: This is a spare Quark Tactical head that works with the AA, AA-2, and 123 configurations. It does not work with the 123-2 configuration.
    http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_304&products_id=2232

Q:Am I going to get 100 lumens from 1aa and 200 lumens from 2AA from the same head?
    A: Yes

Q: And which is better for blinding Neutral white or the standart LED the Quarks have?
    A: Speaking from personal experience (I work at night with "funny" co-workers) whiter LEDs are harder on the eyes. However, at 100 lumens, if someone has fully adjusted night vision and gets that blasted at them it's going to mess them up a little.

Hope this helps

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

100 lumens is not going to cut it under most circumstances. On a city street which has plenty of ambient light all around, 100 lumens will look more like 20 to the naked eye.

I have a Milky-modded Surefire E2E that is pumping out 600 - 800 lumens on one 17670 cell. Even with that light, which definitely wasn't cheap, most I can hope for is 2 seconds to distract an attacker. Not very useful.

7. kiko2704

kiko2704 Empty Pockets

Thank you everyone for the replies. Well if you are prepared for the light 100 lumens are going to seem little to you. But in real situation there is a moment of surprise. Most of the people familiar only with weak multiple LED flashlights(which they think are bright) will be surprised. It worked with a dull Ultrafire A10 on a classmate(just for fun) and it worked so it must work for stunning for a moment. A better flashlight will work better. So it will be a Quark... I just have to decide which.. The Neutral White will be better for outdoor activities(scout camps).

8. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

Check out the JetBeam RRT-0. It is available in warm. It is a 1x123 light but you can get it with an optional AA extender that holds AA's without rattling. It takes AA (NiMh, alkaline, lithium), CR123, 14500 LiIon and 16340 LiIon cells. It is a 4 level light that is controlled by a selector ring so you can set the level you want prior to turning it on via the forward clicky tail switch. It also has a low low that you can get to (with memory) by rotating the ring to the next level and then back down. This make it essentially a 5 level light but only 4 are "memorized" so basically you get to choose your low level. The sepration in the levels is nice too. 1.2-1.5V performance is bright but is really bright with 3.0-3.6V cells. The beam is "throwy" but smooth with the OP reflector. And the best feature is actually the lack of a feature - no flash modes! For an EDC light, I appreciate this most of all.

I have the R2 cool-white version w/ OP reflector, AA extender and holster and love it. It is part of my EDC kit. I can easily recommend it.

9. diabetic

diabetic Empty Pockets

SF is the only brand of light other than a barbolight that i would carry when it's purpose is life critical, otherwise i don't mind the nitecore SR3... easy to use nad takes a fair bit of abuse.

10. MedXLT

MedXLT Empty Pockets

Check out the 4Sevens Quark Series. They have both AA and 123A lights. I don't have any experience with the AA quark, but I have a 123A one and it's an amazing little light!