1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a backpack...

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by revilo951, Sep 8, 2016.

1. revilo951

revilo951 Empty Pockets

Hi everyone - long time lurker - 2nd post. :)

I am looking for a backpack to suit my needs (preferably not tactical looking, but will consider if it fits what I need well enough) - here is what I would like to be able to fit in it:

Photography Stuff:
    • DSLR - Nikon D7100 /w 18-270mm zoom lens
    • 50mm Prime Lens
    • Hotshoe flash
    • Spare battery
    • Charger and cable
    • Misc photo junk - sd cards, card reader, lens cover, filter - small stuff that will fit in a flattish (is that a word?) pocket
    • Spare AA (4x) batteries for flash
    Other stuff:
    • 15" Laptop and charger/mouse
    • Bluetooth speaker - JBL Flip 3 (same diameter, but a little taller than a can of coke)
    • Anker 20100mah battery bank
    • misc cables - 3 x usb, aux audio
    • Sunglasses
    • Ram mounts phone windscreen holder - a little bulky
    • USB car charger
    • 26650 Size compact flashlight
    I appreciate any contributions.

2. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

All of that or one or other? I'd say anything in the 30 - 40 l range.

3. revilo951

revilo951 Empty Pockets

All of that in the one pack, preferably.

Thanks for your input!

What do you guys think of the everyday backpacks from peak designs on Kickstarter?

4. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I'm afraid I tend to go for well established manufacturers. I'm a Kifaru fanboy admittedly so skewed but amending what I said before something in the 20 - 40L size. Kifaru Urban Zippy is a great pack with lots of organisation and alternate access. Couple it with the Kifaru 500D organiser and it's a great pack. Bloody expensive though! I got a padded insert for my camera when I was on holiday last year.

5. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

How about a Goruck GR2 (either 34l or 40l)? Not too tactical looking (you could attach a colorfull patch of some kind to make it look more friendly :)), lots of pockets for cables, batteries, and also space enough for a protective camerapouch etc.

6. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

A couple more questions:

• Do you want a dedicated camera pack, with padding and/or removable foam division "walls", or would you prefer an all round backpack that is the right size for carrying all the stuff you mention?
    • Will you be using the pack primarily to transport your photography gear from A to B, or are you going to shoot out of this pack?
    • Are you looking for an outdoor/wilderness pack, or more of an urban everyday solution?

Shike likes this.
  7. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Btw, i think Vanquest makes a bag of some sort specifically for carrying cameras?

8. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

I have seen packs at Best Buy that will probably meet your needs. Look in the camera section.

9. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

This would be the Trident, I believe. Apart from the tactical looks, it seems like a very good fit for the OP's needs.

10. revilo951

revilo951 Empty Pockets

So, an update on this. Sorry for leaving it dormant for a while. I bought the Amazon Basics DSLR Backpack - incredible product for the price! Not the most comfortable, but well organised. It wouldn't fit my laptop, and if I wanted to take a spare shirt or light jacket, it meant leaving a lens behind. I ended up backing the Peak Designs 30L Everyday Backpack on Kickstarter and have just received it. The features packed into this are just mind boggling (for me) - the thought that has been put into this product, and the apparent (we will see how it holds up) build quality is impressive. I will update you guys on how I go with it.

I am also trying to find a replacement for the pack I am currently using to carry the stuff in this list in the OP:
      • Bluetooth speaker - JBL Flip 3 (same diameter, but a little taller than a can of coke)
      • Anker 20100mah battery bank
      • misc cables - 3 xusb, aux audio
      • Sunglasses
      • Ram mounts phone windscreen holder - a little bulky
      • USB car charger
      • 26650 Size compact flashlight
    I am currently using a freebie toiletries bag that is starting to fall apart. It is pretty much exactly the same size as the 5.11 10.6 horizontal pouch. It would be perfect, except I don't want Molle etc on it. The pack I currently have has a single kind of wrist strap on one end, which works well for my needs.
    Any suggestions?

11. revilo951

revilo951 Empty Pockets

What I currently use, for reference.

[​IMG]

12. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

LA Police Gear pack. Otis like $30 and its very well built.

13. revilo951

revilo951 Empty Pockets

Do you have a link? All I can find on their site is backpacks?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

14. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Pacsafe v25 Camsafe: half camera bag, half regular back-pack. Separate access to each. Remove the camera cell padding if you need.