1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a 2x123 light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by MrGlockJock25, May 12, 2013.

1. MrGlockJock25

MrGlockJock25 Loaded Pockets

I am looking for a 2 x CR123 light. I like the size and it fits in my hand well. Here are a couple I had in mind but I'm not sure. Surefire E2D Defender. How is the quality of the streamlight Protac 2L? I have always liked the light and love my stylus pro but how is the bulb, is it totally clear? I also was thinking of just getting Preon 2 Ti and putting a darksucks clip on it. It is just for edc. So here are the ones I'm looking at, what do you guys have to recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've been using the ProTac 2L as one of my two primary carry lights for around eight months now and I like it. Good size for belt carry (the sheath it comes with is a little cheezy but it works)

The bulb seems to have a slight bluish tint to it, but it's very slight. I don't think it would bother you.

3. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Not to start a debate but any reason specifically? These days most lights that run two primaries are rivaled by one good cell.

I'd rather go two AA's just to avoid the cost and possible flare up.

4. MrGlockJock25

I just like the size and throw of a good dual cell light. Flare up? I might just go ahead and get a Preon 2 titanium.

5. MrGlockJock25

Deleted

6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Oh I was just thinking there are some impressive lights that do about 200 lumens on a single AA. Others about 280-450 with two AA's. CR123's are a more efficient power source, but many run a single 17670 or 18650 for cost savings and ability to push amperge. The flare-up comment was just the rare chance unmatched cells would result on thermal runaway.

A Preon2 is going to be pretty darn floody. You might look at the Eagletac AAx2 options. Something with an XPG or XPG2 would have a tighter beam but less overall light than a XML/XML2. You can get a pack of Eneloops at Costco with a charger or even run Energizer Ultimate AA's. More expensive than alkalines but safer as cheaper than CR123's.

reppans likes this.
  7. aaronu

aaronu Loaded Pockets

You can't really go wrong with a Surefire. If budget allows, I'd get a the Defender.

I've had good luck with the Foursevens lights with the tactical interface. Take a look at the QT2L-X.

8. MrGlockJock25

Ok so now, I am thinking either a quark tactical 123 squared or a quark turbo 123 squared. How big is the turbo compared to the tactical?

9. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The head of the XPG2 123x2 tactical is .86" in diameter.
    The head of the XPG2 123x2 turbo is 1.2" in diameter.
    The head of the XML2 123x2 turbo is 1.52" in diameter.

Personally, a light smaller than .8" in diameter (at widest point) is one I forget is there. At about .8" it's noticeable but far from uncomfortable. At 1.25" I can carry it fine but will take it out when sitting at a computer. Much bigger than that and it's usually a coat pocket light. Everyone wears different clothes and has different feelings on comfort. Clipped lights are less noticeable.

10. MrGlockJock25

I think I will go with the tactical 123 squared. The turbo sounds a little too big for me to edc. The only difference in them according to Foursevens website is the throw.

11. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I'd definitely go with the smaller head for general purpose and EDC use - next choice is emitter, the XPG2 will have a tighter hotspot while the XML2 will be floodier, and with more lumens - throw lux might actually be quite close. I personally prefer floodier beams for general purpose and EDC use.

Just one other thought since you were considering a Preon P2... how about the new Preon Penlight? I'm really enjoying mine - it's current resident in my normally unused shirt pocket and has displaced my Quarks (well, perhaps for the summer). It won't compare to the Quarks for serious utility, but it is one nifty, elegant, inconspicuous, EDC tool.

Blerv likes this.
  12. MrGlockJock25

Whoops. Already was answered

13. MrGlockJock25

So for the difference in emitters, will the throw on the XML2 be farther? How much of the brightness difference is noticeable? So for throw, are we talking 150 meters+ or less for both?

14. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

Nitecore MT 26?

15. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

You can look up Selfbuilt's reviews, but his numbers for the 3v XML (v1) seems to top out at around 120m, XPG2 around 135m while the Turbos run around 180m. The 6v XML didn't seem to add anything significant in the distance category from what I saw, not sure how the other emitters do with 6v.

I'm not sure what your purpose is, but for me, the more a light throws, the less usefulness I find it as general purpose EDC light. That said, I don't really like pure flood mules either.... just big hotspots.

16. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

I really like my fenix pd32 ultimate for its size its the brightest light Ive seen.

17. Glock 'em down

My very favorite light is the Surefire G2X Tactical.

I own two of 'em. A black one that I wear in a Comp-Tac kydex pouch on-duty (yes, I'm a cop) and one in foliage green with a Solarforce pocket clip installed that I wear off-duty.

The Surefire G2X offers, IMO, the best of both worlds; 320 lumens of natural tinted light with lotsa throw and lotsa spill.

Most guys like the dual powered (high and low) lights but not me. When I draw my Surefire G2X I want ALL 320 lumens without having to scroll thru a bunch of different settings.

For low light tasks, I carry a Streamlight Microstream (one setting - 27 lumens/single AAA batt) in my shirt pocket. Love it!

And I still don't understand peoples fascination with the strobe feature on flashlights. :nah_disagree:

nightowl likes this.
  18. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

I run with a Quark X123^2 and love it. I don't think you can get that specific model anymore, but I'm very satisfied with my Quark.

19. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

Other than what the OP mentioned about the form factor of a 2xCR123 light, the only other thing I can think of is runtime. I have a bunch of single CR123 lights I really like, but you have to feed them often!

I am not a fan of strobe either. I have two Surefire AZ2-S lights, but the only reason I bought them over the non-strobe version is because they were considerably cheaper at the time. It is easy enough to avoid with that model. Some lights you can't help but scroll through strobe to get to the mode you want.It does seem to get people's attention, though!

I could see having a use for a slower rate beacon-type strobe mode... for emergencies?

20. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Yea they also tend to stay regulated better compared to a single 4.2v li-ion (or especially a CR123)as you are working with more voltage. That said, with over 3000 mah for a 18650 and a variety of modes runtime/output are terrific for the same size of light.