1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend a liquor for a non-drinker?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Blackheart, Dec 26, 2013.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It might just be me but what if people wanted to get a carton of cigarettes for a non-smoker. I love shrimp but I would not want to get some for someone that does not like seafood.

What food do you hate above all others? :)

2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Yes. ;)

It's just nice to hear some other ideas. I think of it as a "gag gift" of sorts. At least he knows I thought enough of him to spend at least a few minutes trying to pick out something for him.

...even a nice card would probably be appreciated.

(I was not going to venture into that territory. After I left it would be: "Look at this drawing! Ugh. What is that? ...and this lettering! What a hodge-podge of styles. Grrrr.") :) Interesting guy.

3. Blackheart

Not quite the same thing. I know this guy pretty well (I'm a bit like him, I guess). There is nothing on this planet that he would just accept and be happy with and grateful for. That said, he's a really nice guy and has been a good neighbor for a long time.

Well, so long as you're asking... I would just HATE to receive a box of grass-fed porterhouse steaks over-nighted to my door. BLECH! ;)

SAKplumber likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Of ALL the things that could be gifted to someone, what was the rationale that you used to decide on liquor?

This item that you decided on may be akin to gifting driving gloves to a non-driver; cartridges to a non-shooter; and a folding knife to a a nonbeliever.

JonSidneyB likes this.
  5. Blackheart

Makes as much sense as anything else would.

SpyderPrepper likes this.
  6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't think that alcohol is that had a gift even for a drinker. For starters the op has said it is sorta a gag gift. Also even non drinkers sometimes like too keep a bottle around to offer visitors. And third, maybe he doesn't seem to drink much because he's too cheap to buy it for himself

Blackheart likes this.
  7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Then give him a whoopee cushion.

kertap75 likes this.
  8. Blackheart

I would not rule this out.

Here's the weird thing about gifts:

I've been friends with this guy and his family for a long time. Every Christmas Eve, he brings over a big plate of cookies, brownies, fudge, etc. that his wife made and leaves it on my front porch in the middle of the night (tastefully wrapped with a Victorian theme). I don't care for sweets, but he does not know this. Still, every year I look forward to getting that plate of goodies and every year I finish it off by New Year's Day (I'm then good for the rest of the year).

FWIW: In return, I drop by their house the next day and give his wife a bunch of fresh-cut flowers, which she seems to really enjoy (which, in turn, makes him happy because the "Devil Woman from Hell"* is off his case for a day or two).

* - His wife is one of the sweetest people you'd ever meet, but not to hear him tell it

edit - Incidentally, the way I found out about what happened is that the plate of homemade goodies was a plate of store-bought cookies this year, hastily wrapped in foil, and instead of the usual "To: From:" card, there was an actual Christmas card with a lengthy explanation and apology from the Missus. Going to drop by their place tonight.

Last edited by Blackheart, Dec 26, 2013
    SAKplumber likes this.
  9. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

If he's a non drinker, or at least a minimal drinker, perhaps there's a reason for it. Get him something else. Talk to his wife and see if he'd like some exotic teas or something. Some good ideas in this thread, Cheese, coffee, coffee additives, etc. If you just want him to know you're sympathetic and thinking about him, go sit with him for an hour or so, listen to his story. You'll both probably enjoy that more than stuff.

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Oh, you like casu marzu, and lutefisk. We might have to start a collection to get some sent out to you. :)

Lou_G, Blackheart and kertap75 like this.
  11. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Sounds like maybe he likes to complain. Giving him a bottle of booze when he doesn't drink could be a great present, since it would give him something to complain about. Then you could sit around at his house drinking up the booze you gave him, while giving him someone to complain to. Nothing better for a grumpy curmudgeon than to have both a new thing to gripe about, and an audience. Win win. ;)

12. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Some people really don't touch alcohol. The only time I drink is if I feel social pressure to do so or some girl was trying to get me drunk.

SAKplumber likes this.
  13. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

give him a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream.

single ice cube + baileys = yumm

SurvivePenna likes this.
  14. Blackheart

"Here, I brought you something. Got a glass? Okay, give a minute... Now, tell me all about your clumsiness and stupidity."

J_C and kertap75 like this.
  15. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

People have bought me Baileys many times. It sat in the cabinet for years and I finally threw it away.

16. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Get him a decent bottle of a medium body red wine. Even if he doesn't want to drink it he can still cook with it. No need to spend more than the mid $20 range. If you want to add on to the present a bit, get him a copy of Everyday French Cooking by Henri-PAol Pellapra. Its been out of print for a while but the big online source has used copies around $18 and its probably available as digital somewhere. This way they'll have some recipes to use/drink the wine in or with.

SurvivePenna and kertap75 like this.
  17. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

Debate of alcohol as appropriate aside, you can't go wrong with gifting Glenfiddich or Crown Royal. Relatively inexpensive but both very good brands.

kertap75 and me_john85 like this.
  18. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Splendid idea, but make sure that the booze doesn't conflict with any painkillers or other meds he's using.

19. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

American Honey.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

20. deltic55000

deltic55000 Loaded Pockets

just waiting for someone to recommend a knife or flashlight.....